LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Airbag SRS light on 2002 LS430 after Rack and Pinion replacement Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 11:08 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag SRS light on 2002 LS430 after Rack and Pinion replacement Need help!

So finally got the rack and pinion back together with no leaks. Also, got the air suspension system working by disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the ECU. Steering wheel was off a little so I disconnected linkage and adjusted. Now the SRS light came on. Also, Radar cruise does not come on and cant change display. It is reading miles before running out of gas which was the last indication. Any ideas?

Last edited by hippchip; 11-25-16 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add info about radar cruise and display indications
Old 11-25-16, 05:00 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The SRS light, radar cruise control, and not-able-to-change-display should not be related to the rack and pinion repair. I suggest you try to disconnect the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes again, and force another hard-reset - it's a long shot, but this trick is known to have resolved many ECU conflicts before.
Old 11-25-16, 06:11 PM
hippchip
Driver

Originally Posted by rkw77080
The SRS light, radar cruise control, and not-able-to-change-display should not be related to the rack and pinion repair. I suggest you try to disconnect the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes again, and force another hard-reset - it's a long shot, but this trick is known to have resolved many ECU conflicts before.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing and have already tried the reset but they problems remain. How long should I leave the cable disconnected? I am sure that all the problems are related. Maybe a cable became disconnected or something while trying to disconnect/connect the splines from the steering to the rack???

Last edited by hippchip; 11-25-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 07:52 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Make sure your battery is fully charged and in good shape. Failing batteries have weird effects on these cars.
Old 11-26-16, 03:53 PM
hippchip
Driver

I left the neg cable off overnight, no change. PPS is acceleration pedal position sensor.
Old 12-02-16, 02:06 PM
hippchip
Driver

If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated. I kinda feel like a connector became disconnected. Nearly everything on the steering wheel is not working as well as the SRS (air bag) light. Cruise light will not come on and it doesnt work, the switches to change the radio station, volume etc do not work, Can not change modes between miles left, miles per gallon, etc will not change virtually all controls on the steering wheel dont work. Where are the electrical connections located? Or could this just be ETC problem? No problems prior to disconnecting the linkage to the rack. BTW the steering wheel is still off a few degrees and I did run the car to check for leaks while jacked up and on jack stands. When I lowered the jack the vehicle was sitting on the tires. I had to disconnect the negative lead off of the battery, jack up to the approx position and reattach battery and start. The vehicle lifted to the correct position. Thats when I noticed the problems with the SRS and steering wheel controls
Old 12-02-16, 05:39 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hippchip
If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated. I kinda feel like a connector became disconnected. Nearly everything on the steering wheel is not working as well as the SRS (air bag) light. Cruise light will not come on and it doesnt work, the switches to change the radio station, volume etc do not work, Can not change modes between miles left, miles per gallon, etc will not change virtually all controls on the steering wheel dont work. Where are the electrical connections located? Or could this just be ETC problem? No problems prior to disconnecting the linkage to the rack. BTW the steering wheel is still off a few degrees and I did run the car to check for leaks while jacked up and on jack stands. When I lowered the jack the vehicle was sitting on the tires. I had to disconnect the negative lead off of the battery, jack up to the approx position and reattach battery and start. The vehicle lifted to the correct position. Thats when I noticed the problems with the SRS and steering wheel controls
This is a DIY nightmare. I can imagine you have to be stressed out. Nothing worse than fixing an issue only to create more problems. I agree with your thinking that it may be a connector or broken wire/sensor during install. Have you gone under the car with flashlight and looked at every sensor or wiring harness you could have come in contact with?
Old 12-02-16, 07:54 PM
hippchip
Driver

Originally Posted by bmore430
This is a DIY nightmare. I can imagine you have to be stressed out. Nothing worse than fixing an issue only to create more problems. I agree with your thinking that it may be a connector or broken wire/sensor during install. Have you gone under the car with flashlight and looked at every sensor or wiring harness you could have come in contact with?
I will look again. The only connector that I took off was to the EVO and I reconnected that. I was thinking maybe inside the car near the steering column or maybe when the air dumped from the air shocks and I lowered to. Idk???
Old 12-03-16, 07:12 AM
911LE
Instructor

Was the steering wheel rotated while the rack was disconnected? All of your issues point to a problem with the clock spring. Your steering wheel being off center when the rack was reinstalled could have been part of the problem.
Old 12-04-16, 05:43 AM
hippchip
Driver

Originally Posted by 911LE
Was the steering wheel rotated while the rack was disconnected? All of your issues point to a problem with the clock spring. Your steering wheel being off center when the rack was reinstalled could have been part of the problem.
It did turn a little and when I first put it back together it was almost 90 degrees off. I disengaged the spline and adjusted although I am still a few degrees off. If the clock spring is the problem then how do you fix it?
Old 12-04-16, 06:05 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Has your C1561 (PPS) error code been resolved? I looked up all the fuses that can cause a "PPS" issue - they are shown in red on the photo below. Please have a look to see if any of them is blown.

The following users liked this post:
hippchip (12-06-16)
Old 12-06-16, 07:29 PM
hippchip
Driver

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Has your C1561 (PPS) error code been resolved? I looked up all the fuses that can cause a "PPS" issue - they are shown in red on the photo below. Please have a look to see if any of them is blown.

Thanks I have not had time to check it just yet but I will this weekend.
Old 01-05-17, 08:08 AM
hippchip
Driver

I know it has been a while but I finally got around to checking the fuses and they were all good. Also found out that the horn does not work. Seems like a connector is loose or disconnected.
Old 01-05-17, 08:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

not directly related to the LS430, but on two other cars of mine.....on the Maxima, had been dealing with the SRS warning for years and years, there was a specific reset procedure by turning ignition on, pressing door switch 6 or more times fast, and repeating. Also involved plugging, and unplugging the side airbag harnesses under the seat. It's a known issue.

On the BMW, I removed the ABS pump (aka DSC Hydro pump) and sent it out for repair. Because I was getting a loaner car blah blah blah I stupidly turned on the ignition so I could read the odometer, WITH THE ABS PUMP REMOVED. The car went berserk......the windshield wipers went on full blast and could not be turned off, and it lit up like a Christmas tree, with the addition of airbag warnings. Reading the codes led to all kinds of errors (I mean maybe 20-25) all related to velocity.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that in my examples, there were both electrical, and physical causes to the warning. In the latter, with the dealer software, I also verified that an entire module was removed from the car (because the ABS pump has the module attached to it)....

My hunch is something needs to be reconnected, so having panicked myself in the latter case, likely there is no reason to worry, just go through everything step by step...good luck and looking forward to hearing the issue is resolved...
Old 01-05-17, 02:17 PM
911LE
Instructor

Like I said before your clock spring is broken. The first step in the factory service manual for replacing the steering rack is to remove the steering wheel so you don't break the spiral cable (clock spring). The clock spring must also be recentered before the wheel is reinstalled.
The following users liked this post:
hippchip (01-28-17)

Quick Reply: Airbag SRS light on 2002 LS430 after Rack and Pinion replacement Need help!