LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New ls430 owners with old cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 05:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default New ls430 owners with old cars

Been on this forum since 2006. I've noticed a trend of new (younger owners) buying up the very well depreciated LS430s. However, many have zero or few posts and don't know very much about our cars sophisticated mechanics. SO??? they love the ride and start listing the usual issues with the basic LS430s....not totally understanding the expenses involved in fixing even the basics (unless doing it themselves)... Once I start hearing about these younger buyers, buying the UL and again listing the items not working plus some unknowns....I say....do these guys really know what they are getting involved with???....Will this be the beginning of the end for the LS430? as the expenses get prohibitive over the years and with the UL just don't make sense anymore. Nice to see these cars are appreciated....but I'm really curious what will happen to these great machines in the years to come when owners start taking short cuts to keep these magnificant cars running. The future will tell..
Old 11-23-16, 06:24 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happens across the automotive spectrum. Cars get cheaper, larger demographic can buy them and possibly not sure what they are getting into. This doesn't affect you so I'm not really sure of the point of this post.
Old 11-23-16, 09:33 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think its right to stereotype a demographic of "younger buyers". I'm 21, when I was 18 I had my heart set on an LS (2000 LS400, I think that says a lot right there knowing I had several choices).I took care of it meticulously, I poured over $10,000 into it repairing and replacing things. Now, I have an 06 LS430 UL that I love to pieces. No, I'm not an expert on our cars sophisticated mechanics but thankfully I work a good job where I can afford the maintenance and upkeep on my car. I don't take "short cuts" when it comes to service, if there is a problem that needs to get fixed I'm not going to duck tape or buy some second hand piece from a salvage yard, I get it fixed. If I couldn't afford the upkeep of the car I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Yes, there may be those who get them handed down through the family or buy them just because of the brand name and couldn't really care less about the service etc (you'll find that with any car) but I think there is also just as many that love our cars and will do our best to keep them in tip top shape. I think being a part of this forum speaks volumes in itself, it shows we actually have some interest in our cars and their operation. I do agree with you, it is A LOT of car, for anyone, young, old whoever. I have some seen some pretty beat up examples driven by some older people before. The demise of the LS430 isn't young people buying them, in fact its quite the contrary; we are keeping them running and on the streets letting them do what they do best; provide a luxurious, safe and reliable mode of transportation. The demise of the LS430 would be if you saw them sitting on the used car lots collecting dirt & dust without owners and interest.

That's my piece, sorry if you don't agree but I thought I would defend my LS and my age.
Old 11-24-16, 04:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
Same thing happens across the automotive spectrum. .
True, I purchased a 2007 335i in 12/06, brand new, when every dealership in the country had 0 for sale. They had to be ordered from dealer allocation (what's nice with the German cars is when you order, it is YOUR car, you can choose to ship it where you like, unlike at least Infiniti, an order is really nothing more than a dealer's car that you put a deposit on). At the time, I felt it was a huge sum of money, got $1700 off list which was unheard of, people paying list to $500 off (haha). The car literally turned heads back then (all new BMW coupes did until the latest ~ 2014). Anyway, folks are shopping for them in the $10-$12k range, and some on the forum even go as far as saying they need to get rid of such an outdated car! lol

I'm keeping the 335i forever, as I am with the LS430. So I can see it from both sides. My 335i is mint, but right off the bat the 12k buyer could be facing 4k for turbos, 1.4k for a water pump, 4.2k for a ABS pump, $400 for a walnut blast, likely both seat belt butlers do not function, etc. It is conceivable that the repairs needed on an abused car will exceed the purchase price. If life were simpler, the entire population would drive a Camry. Maybe an accord.

edit: I see the LS430 as a value play, being a "toyota." I avoided the CL based on this forum and my thinking about the door actuators, but I think my next LS will be a CL. I feel strongly that I would avoid a UL. What it offers is not of any value to me (less trunk space, another a/c to mess with, all modern SUVs have that and it escalates the cost of repair), but I like the idea of the laminated glass and headlamp washers. We just don't have the room for 5 cars, when we only have 2 drivers so it has to wait

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-24-16 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-24-16, 06:20 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
I don't think its right to stereotype a demographic of "younger buyers". I'm 21, when I was 18 I had my heart set on an LS (2000 LS400, I think that says a lot right there knowing I had several choices).I took care of it meticulously, I poured over $10,000 into it repairing and replacing things. Now, I have an 06 LS430 UL that I love to pieces. No, I'm not an expert on our cars sophisticated mechanics but thankfully I work a good job where I can afford the maintenance and upkeep on my car. I don't take "short cuts" when it comes to service, if there is a problem that needs to get fixed I'm not going to duck tape or buy some second hand piece from a salvage yard, I get it fixed. If I couldn't afford the upkeep of the car I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Yes, there may be those who get them handed down through the family or buy them just because of the brand name and couldn't really care less about the service etc (you'll find that with any car) but I think there is also just as many that love our cars and will do our best to keep them in tip top shape. I think being a part of this forum speaks volumes in itself, it shows we actually have some interest in our cars and their operation. I do agree with you, it is A LOT of car, for anyone, young, old whoever. I have some seen some pretty beat up examples driven by some older people before. The demise of the LS430 isn't young people buying them, in fact its quite the contrary; we are keeping them running and on the streets letting them do what they do best; provide a luxurious, safe and reliable mode of transportation. The demise of the LS430 would be if you saw them sitting on the used car lots collecting dirt & dust without owners and interest.

That's my piece, sorry if you don't agree but I thought I would defend my LS and my age.
Very well said.
Old 11-24-16, 07:12 AM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 35 and have a 2002 UL with 217,000 miles. Something is always broken on it. I buy oem parts and do the work myself as I find it relaxing. I have also named my car whack-a-mole as when I fix something, something else just breaks. CEL came on yesterday on the way home
Old 11-24-16, 08:43 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by volson
I buy oem parts and do the work myself as I find it relaxing.
Man, you hit it on the head. There's something very relaxing about being submerged in a project that allows you to put the cares of the day away and focus on one thing. For those of us who deal with stress, wrenching on the car is better than therapy any day...
Old 11-24-16, 09:49 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think many people hear these cars are bulletproof and can be had pretty cheap so they pull the trigger thinking nothing will break. The engines and transmissions are rock solid but it's the little things and options that cost a pretty penny to fix if you want the whole lexus experience.

I've had mine for coming up on 4 years. I have spent a good amount replacing the normal LS issues and regular maintenance. It's not a cheap car if it's your daily driver. But it's the nicest riding car I've been in and to replace it with an equal car in the new market would cost 55k to 80k dollars.
Old 11-24-16, 10:14 AM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, OP, but this sounds like an old man's "get off my lawn" rant. It sounds like you are upset that younger owners can now afford your car. I think you need to accept that these cars are now over a decade old and are in their twilight years. As much as I like my LS430, I also understand that it was built as a disposable consumer product and will never be a classic or collectable the way a 1930s Mercedes has become.

Whatever you may have paid for the car back when you joined in 2006 doesn't mean anything now that we are a few days from 2017. You own an 11 year old japanese car that is worth less than $10,000. End Of Story. It's obvious you do not grasp this when you post things like, "I'm really curious what will happen to these great machines in the years to come when owners start taking short cuts to keep these magnificant cars running." I'll tell you what will happen: the cars will be salvaged when they are no longer economically viable. You would be an idiot to pay thousands of dollars on a repair for a car that isn't worth much more than the repairs, so of course people will take shortcuts now that these cars aren't worth much anymore. If something major like a timing belt failure happened to my car, I wouldn't fix it - I'd send it to the crusher/salvage and buy a new one. These aren't faberge eggs, they are assembly line mass-produced products.
Old 11-24-16, 11:08 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylroberts

No need to defend yourself. I think it's great that someone younger likes the car. You're smart enough to realize what a nice car it is for a big luxury sedan. It's also a bargain for what you get. I remember you considered an '09 460. I've driven a couple of 460's and they just don't compare to the 430 (for a lot less money). Sure I'm biased but on the road, I can always tell it's a 430. With the 460, it's a lot harder to tell. I have to look carefully. It is a lot of fun to have a 430 that really runs perfectly (even if it costs money). LOL look at the number of people that go somewhere just to get driving time (I'm one of them). In here, the "younger demographic" seems to be stereotyped as not being able to afford the repair costs of the car. I do think that some (young and old) don't really know what they're getting into. With this car, definitely need to buy one that's been well maintained. Enjoy the car! I'm envious you got one w/ such low miles.
Old 11-24-16, 11:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Happens with pretty much all the cars out there. Even though they may not be valued at much, the repairs are still the same whether new or old. If you have a good car and enjoy driving it, the cost to keep it road worthy is at odds. That is a decision up to the owner if it is worth the expense. Often not so cheap get by fixes are implemented. I think of my hot rod buddies that buy a shell and drop over $60K to drive them. They don't recoup their $$ on sale. To them these are therapy projects.
Old 11-24-16, 02:55 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The first and only serious maint money I have put into my 2006 LS430 was 3 weeks ago when I had local Lexus do the timing belt and water pump for $950. Other than that my LS430 has been bulletproof and now has 91k miles on it and still runs and feels like a new car. I did have broken driver mirror replaced under CPO warranty 6 years ago, other than that there have been zero malfunctions.

I have diy over-maintained it (brakes, filters, fluids, oil, AT drain and fill, etc) so it is in great shape and I love doing the minor maint on it so it will stay in great shape. I'm hoping to drive it for another 5 years or so before it gives me any problems. At that point it will be 16 years old and at that point it might be time to let it go. I am pretty certain it will be the best car I have ever owned by a wide margin.

My car is a Premium "base" model and it has always been in the South and garage kept so that may be why it has had zero mechanical issues. Cars driven hard, and/or up in the rust/snow areas, and/or not garaged and out in the elements may be aging much more rapidly.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-24-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 03:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The first and only serious maint money I have put into my 2006 LS430 was 3 weeks ago when I had local Lexus do the timing belt and water pump for $950. Other than that my LS430 has been bulletproof and now has 91k miles on it and still runs and feels like a new car. I did have broken driver mirror replaced under CPO warranty 6 years ago, other than that there have been zero malfunctions.

I have diy over-maintained it (brakes, filters, fluids, oil, AT drain and fill, etc) so it is in great shape and I love doing the minor maint on it so it will stay in great shape. I'm hoping to drive it for another 5 years or so before it gives me any problems. At that point it will be 16 years old and at that point it might be time to let it go. I am pretty certain it will be the best car I have ever owned by a wide margin.

My car is a Premium "base" model and it has always been in the South and garage kept so that may be why it has had zero mechanical issues. Cars driven hard, and/or up in the rust/snow areas, and/or not garaged and out in the elements may be aging much more rapidly.
Hey Jabberwock, My car is now 16+ years old and I'm still holding on to it!!!! You are lucky to have been able to do so much stuff yourself. Must have saved you a ton as well as knowing the jobs were done correctly. My car when purchased was well maintained with 98,000 miles. Now has 126,500 miles. These are great cars, but maintenance can be prohibitive at times unless as you have been lucky enough to do work yourself without any major repairs. I guess even with all the money I have spent over the last 6 1/2 years it's still cheaper than buying a newer car and having to watch the depreciation with a lesser car than my LS430. In a few years you may not be so eager to let it go as I can assure you a replacement is not going to be an easy find. .