LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just completed the Levinson $20 Subwoofer repair! Sounds great now!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 08:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxtacy
Where in Alabama are you at? I'm in Huntsville. I'm fixin to have to do this repair on my 04 UL, just got the head unit back from Autobeyours, now I can really hear how bad the speakers are.
We are down on the Gulf Coast.
Old 03-15-17, 10:31 PM
paullaxer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the enclosure and cheap sub sound fine, but It doesn't add anything to the sound when placed in the trunk. The crossover isn't adjustable so its not even noticeable. I think I'll have to suck it up and do the seat removal/replacement. For the record the system sounds great with no sub (disconnected).
Old 03-16-17, 03:23 AM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you link to the repair kit at simplyspeakers? I have no idea what repair kit you're speaking of.
Old 03-16-17, 03:52 AM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jkallinen
The sub in the car is only 2 ohm, research. Put a 4ohm in and blow the Amp.
Wrong.

See this thread. It has all the technical details you need: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iled-pics.html

TL;DR: 16ohm sub is what you're looking for with the ML system if you want to match specs, but users have good luck with the 8ohm Polk. You're referring to the standard Pioneer system, perhaps.

And even if you're right, a 4 ohm sub won't blow 2ohm amps. You'd just get lower output.

Last edited by r0cketm0nk; 03-16-17 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-16-17, 04:14 AM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I hope it works for you and does not damage the ML amp. You could spend a relatively small amount of $30 additional and get a 16 ohm sub that would be a ohm rating match for the ML amp. Totally up to you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160744137794?rmvSB=true
Anyone tried these generic subwoofers?
Old 03-16-17, 10:47 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by r0cketm0nk
Yes, i have the same subwoofer installed in the rear deck of my 03' LS430 with the ML amp, and it has been working great these past 6 months.

The "generic" subwoofer that is linked by Jabberwock is in fact (or should be at least, it looks exactly the same) a Dayton-Audio branded subwoofer. They are a decently reputable company that sells speakers for DIY speaker makers. Their product page is here at the following:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-484

In fact, you can find a review i posted on Amazon on the following page:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
bjchilds1 (11-24-21)
Old 03-16-17, 11:08 AM
Jabberwock

I installed this sub wired in series so it runs as 16 ohms in my 2004 SC430 and it works great. Compared to the bargain bin quality of the OEM ML sub, even this relatively inexpensive replacement sub is a much higher quality, more robust and better built speaker than the factory ML sub.

Despite sounding great when new, frankly, even to a casual observer, a physical examination of the OEM ML sub, and the other ML mid drivers in the LS430 and SC430 shows them to be bargain bin level components at best. The ML tweeters look like reasonable quality mid range components, but the rest of the ML speakers look like brand x speakers - small low quality magnets, cheap stamped metal baskets and low quality paper cones with poor quality cheap foam surround - speakers you can find online for literally $2-3 each.
Old 03-16-17, 02:21 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

After 7 years of ownership I initially went the glue method, and then the refoaming method, and ultimately replacing with the OEM subwoofer. I got a relatively good price for the sub at that time (a number of years ago for around $300 I believe). I also replaced my front door speakers with OEM at the same time for $99 each. The system sounds very good and of course I don't blast the music for fear of going through the expense of replacement again. The vulnerability of the rear sub (besides age) is the direct sunlight because of the position of the sub on the rear lid. The LS460 changed the position and avoided the same issues. Since replacement I'm not worried (as much) about my amp failing due to non compatibility with after market speakers. The amp is expensive as most parts are for our cars.
Old 03-16-17, 02:47 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Had mine rebuilt (including new coil and cone) for 115.
Old 03-16-17, 03:49 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Had mine rebuilt (including new coil and cone) for 115.
It's always who you know.. I wish you were my neighbor tallguy! Here in Florida... we get taken over the coals....
Old 03-16-17, 04:03 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I have never heard the ML stereo to this day, and I have a question. How loud do you turn it up? I usually crank my Pioneer system up to 50 when a good song is playing on CD and about 53 with cassettes. still sounds okay, not as good as the Bose system in my last car. but that was the best I have ever owned.
Old 03-16-17, 07:18 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Has anybody bothered to measure the decibel level in their cars when operating at their usual level? As an older person who has hearing deficient over the years, it is not a pleasant thing and simply cannot be corrected with hearing aids (although they can provide enough clarity for conservations in most situations, you can kiss the pleasure of listening to music goodby)! Youth is eternal until they experience it is not, and at that time it is too late.
Old 03-16-17, 11:46 PM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Surprised no one mentioned tinting the rear windows though...that was the first thing I did to my LS. Pretty sure it would go a long way making sure everything in the car last that much longer.

I can't believe a brand like ML would have cheap parts that look like they're flea market material, despite all the praises about them. Anyway, I ordered the sub from ebay, looking to install it when it arrives. Will be keeping the rest of the speakers. They all still work, so why not.
Old 03-17-17, 06:17 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Has anybody bothered to measure the decibel level in their cars when operating at their usual level? As an older person who has hearing deficient over the years, it is not a pleasant thing
That would be interesting to do. It might give someone a wakeup call. As a person who suffers from Tinnitus, I am now careful not to play music very loudly. Many years of airplane noise, followed by loud music is starting to take it's toll.

However, I have to say, the ML system, when it's working properly does sound fantastic.
Old 03-17-17, 07:05 AM
Jabberwock

I can't believe a brand like ML would have cheap parts that look like they're flea market material, despite all the praises about them.
Sadly you probably will believe it when you take one of the OEM ML drivers out and take a close look at it. Let's be clear, I dearly love the LS430 and think it was likely the best high quality assembly line-built cars ever produced, but the OEM ML speakers in the car are cheaply made bottom of the barrel parts.

Quick Reply: Just completed the Levinson $20 Subwoofer repair! Sounds great now!!!!!