LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission mount replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 02:51 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Transmission mount replaced

I changed out my transmission mount. I used the jack from the trunk to hold the mount while I was taking out the bolts and nuts and then slowly lowered the mount brace until I could remove the mount. Installation I used the jack to move the mount bracket in place as I installed the 4 bolts.

The old mount appeared to be in good condition with no tears.

The new transmission mount I bought from Ebay as part of a set that included the engine mounts (2) and transmission mount. The ebay listing was called "Motor Mounts & Trans Mount Set 3PCS fits 01-06 Lexus LS430 Automatic" and the seller is mounts_pro.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission mount replaced-trans_mount_b.jpg   Transmission mount replaced-trans_mount_old.jpg  
Old 11-20-16, 12:14 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you feel the difference?
Old 11-20-16, 08:28 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

I haven't driven it much. I will know more when I get it out on the highway but I'm suspecting I won't really notice anything.
I believe the small vibrations I feel at highway speeds are due more to the motor mounts which I haven't changed yet. However I also wonder how much a cumulative affect of old suspension parts contribute?

So far I've changed the front lower ball joints, sway bar links, outer tie rod in and transmission mount. Within the year I'm planning on changing the motor mounts, all 4 struts (non air) and upper control arms.

My goal is to get this car driving like new again. Since I am planning on keeping it for a long time my 5 year plan is to repaint it and probably spend close to $2,000.
Old 11-21-16, 11:27 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The rubber looks a little spongy, but other than that, it does look clean... Interesting.
Old 11-21-16, 12:58 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I changed out my transmission mount. I used the jack from the trunk to hold the mount while I was taking out the bolts and nuts and then slowly lowered the mount brace until I could remove the mount. Installation I used the jack to move the mount bracket in place as I installed the 4 bolts.

The new transmission mount I bought from Ebay as part of a set that included the engine mounts (2) and transmission mount. The ebay listing was called "Motor Mounts & Trans Mount Set 3PCS fits 01-06 Lexus LS430 Automatic" and the seller is mounts_pro.
Interesting... Was the whole car jacked up when you did this, or can I just take the jack out of the car and crall under it to do it ?

On a scalle 1-10 how hard was it to get off the old one and replace ? (1 being easy and 10 being very hard)

My car is sitting with 240K on it and would be nice to get a little smoothness back into the ride... I was thinking about motor mounts too but, not something I think I can do in my garage..

I could jack up the car and put jack stands under it... I have a RX300 jack... same jack as on the LS430 but, goes a lot higher... I can fit the jack stands under the car with no problem but, cant with the LS430 jack.

You can get a RX300 jack on ebay for under $40...(my wife had an RX and I tried it and was shocked)
Old 11-21-16, 01:11 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Interesting... Was the whole car jacked up when you did this, or can I just take the jack out of the car and crall under it to do it ?

On a scalle 1-10 how hard was it to get off the old one and replace ? (1 being easy and 10 being very hard)

My car is sitting with 240K on it and would be nice to get a little smoothness back into the ride... I was thinking about motor mounts too but, not something I think I can do in my garage..

I could jack up the car and put jack stands under it... I have a RX300 jack... same jack as on the LS430 but, goes a lot higher... I can fit the jack stands under the car with no problem but, cant with the LS430 jack.

You can get a RX300 jack on ebay for under $40...(my wife had an RX and I tried it and was shocked)
after you jack up the car and put a piece of wood along the transmission pan with a jack and slightly raise the transmission.next simply remove 8 bolts that hold the mount up and remove it.installation is reverse.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 11-21-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 01:11 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by DavidinCT

I drove the front of the car up on ramps. I used the jack that came with the car to hold the mount bracket as I took out the four bolts. You can lower and raise the jack fairly easy with your hand.
If I did it again I would give it a difficulty of 2 on your scale.
You could just put jack stand under the front. No need to put jack stand on back. Just make sure emergency brake is applied for safety.
The motor mounts will take an engine hoist and need to have front and back of the car on jack stands. I would not jack under the oil pan to do this.
Old 11-21-16, 01:12 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
after you jack up the car and put a piece of wood along the transmission pan with a jack and slightly raise the transmission.next simply remove 8 bolts that hold the mount up and remove it.installation is reverse.
that is another way but I don't feel comfortable jacking under the transmission pan, even with a block of wood between the jack and pan.
Old 10-31-17, 03:20 PM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will like to know where you are getting a paint job on your lexus for $2,000. I will gladly buy a car I saw for $6,000 (2002 LS 430 with 70,000 miles) which is in bad need of a paint job.

I haven't driven it much. I will know more when I get it out on the highway but I'm suspecting I won't really notice anything.
I believe the small vibrations I feel at highway speeds are due more to the motor mounts which I haven't changed yet. However I also wonder how much a cumulative affect of old suspension parts contribute?

So far I've changed the front lower ball joints, sway bar links, outer tie rod in and transmission mount. Within the year I'm planning on changing the motor mounts, all 4 struts (non air) and upper control arms.

My goal is to get this car driving like new again. Since I am planning on keeping it for a long time my 5 year plan is to repaint it and probably spend close to $2,000.
Old 10-31-17, 07:58 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by jumerle
I will like to know where you are getting a paint job on your lexus for $2,000. I will gladly buy a car I saw for $6,000 (2002 LS 430 with 70,000 miles) which is in bad need of a paint job.
Well time has made me re-think on the extent of a paint job. I've decided to eventually have the mirrors, front and back bumper repainted as that is all that is needed.

I just guessed at the $2,000. lol
Old 07-12-21, 05:02 PM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Hello, tradosauru, Interested in replacing the trans mount in 08 IS 350 using ramps, and process for LS 430 seems similar. Wanted to confirm when the use of a jack to support the transmission is needed. Am being assisted in the IS forums however, wanted to follow up with you as well.
1- Remove the four 14mm nuts at edge of aluminum bracket referenced with YELLOW arrows first. Then remove the four 12mm bolts in center of bracket, referenced with BLACK arrows in Photo 1
2 - Then remove the four 12mm ?? bolts attaching trans mount to transmission, referenced with BLACK arrows in Photo 2
3- Photo 3 showing scissor jack underneath aluminum bracket

PHOTO 1

PHOTO 2

PHOTO 3

Old 01-04-22, 07:46 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi ELexis, which procedure did you finally use to replace the transmission mount on the IS. Did you use the jack under the aluminum bracket or under the transmission pan with a block of wood? Also, is the sequence of unbolting above is in correct order?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 01-05-22, 03:56 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Hello Yamehoo, the procedure I used is stated here (reference reply #169 down) however, ended up going to service center to have the mount installed. Also, keep in mind this forum is for posts related to the IS-F 2008 – 2014 with an 8 Speed transmission. Hope the following assists you with removal / installation;

Transmission mount upgrade (KEIN) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-kein-12.html