LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

does your car have dings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 04:40 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default does your car have dings?

I noticed one I didn't know about, find it disappointing.

There's no way for me to know it wasn't already there, as I've never waxed my car myself (got it in Oct. and already detailed). I know, it's an 11 y.o. car, but the fact that I don't remember having seen it before, is disappointing. There are bigger problems in the world, I know. Seriously, on a car this old, there are no obvious ones, and 3 tiny ones, now 4.

How does this car respond to PDR? Example, on BMW, they do miracles, guy told me the metal is so easy to work with, has a memory. Claimed does not have good results with Hyundai....
Old 11-15-16, 05:04 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a black car so it literally shows everything. Suprisingly for being a 2005 with 95k miles I think i may only have 3-4 minor dings on the whole car.

One of these days when I get done my to-do list with the car the final step will be to have the whole car paint corrected and coated and a PDR guy to work his magic.
Old 11-15-16, 06:09 PM
Howzit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a bummer. To me, it doesn't matter how old a car is, dings **** me off! I have no dings, but just picked up a small scratch the other day. Didn't make me happy. I think it will buff out.
Old 11-16-16, 07:37 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

One great feature about this generation of LS is it has a strip down the door that does a good job protecting it from dings. It actually does a good job keeping dings away, not sure I have a single one.

Most newer Lexus don't have this, it's just smooth sheet metal that's a ding magnet. Looks great new from the factory, but you're probably going to be running to a paintless dent removal place a lot.

I agree that dents can really make a car look worthless.
Old 11-16-16, 08:20 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I've got small rock chips on the the hood. Not as bad as dings but makes the car look a little worn. I checked on line. Sounds like a color pen is a good way to go. Pen tip looks to be about the the same size as the chips. Use the color code to get the right color. Is there a good brand? So clean the chip area to metal (use swab, get rid of all wax, etc). Apply touch up slightly below level of paint. Let it dry and do a second time to bring touch to level of existing paint. Let it dry. Add a clear coat. Let it dry. Wet sand (1000 grit or more) between color coats? Super light compound after clear coat? Wax after that. Suggests appreciated!
Old 11-16-16, 08:27 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I've got small rock chips on the the hood. Not as bad as dings but makes the car look a little worn. I checked on line. Sounds like a color pen is a good way to go. Pen tip looks to be about the the same size as the chips. Use the color code to get the right color. Is there a good brand? So clean the chip area to metal (use swab, get rid of all wax, etc). Apply touch up slightly below level of paint. Let it dry and do a second time to bring touch to level of existing paint. Let it dry. Add a clear coat. Let it dry. Wet sand (1000 grit or more) between color coats? Super light compound after clear coat? Wax after that. Suggests appreciated!

I would just buy the OEM touch up paint from a Lexus dealership with your paint code. Might be $5 more than the stuff from Pep Boys but those can sometimes be "close enough" whereas the ones from a dealership should be the exact color.

I don't think you need to do all the extra work to just fill in some rock chips with the sanding, clear coat, wax etc I just make sure the area is clean, brush it on to fill it in, and then give it over night to dry. It seems to stay on just fine and blends in well.