LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Our new 2001 LS430 UL

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 10:10 AM
lt1fire
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Our new 2001 LS430 UL

192k on it and due for a timing belt that will be getting done soon.
Not going to say what I paid for it but lets just say I should have done one of those cheap car episodes on top gear. Dealership didn't know what they had and since they didn't have any service history at all coupled with the few things that do need fixed I pretty much walked out for a song and dance.
(I found just about all of the service info online and through various lexus owners groups)

Few things here and there wrong with it but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Timing Belt is getting done on friday. I was going to do it myself but the local dealer is running such a good price that i'd be dumb not to take them up on it.
Tilt in Steering wheel isn't working and I need to fix this fast because at my height 6'8 the steering wheel being in the down position means I can only drive the car for about 15 minutes before my knee starts aching. Telescoping part still works though. (Edit.... fixed but the car didn't have the retaining clip in there so I didn't know one was needed ..... new motor popped out and then stripped the pivot nut so now it is busted again. Will fix and see if I can use a die and tap set to re-cut the screw on the new motor or buy a new one.)
Drivers side mirror is broken and just swings back and forth... no impact on it so I'm guessing a human walked into it and snapped something in the mechanism or forced it to close by had for some reason.
Rear sunshade is stuck in the up position. Not really bad at day but at night its a pain in the *** so i'll have to try and figure that out soon. *** Have a used shade to put in just waiting on better weather to get to it.

Other than that the only other things wrong are the front seats are a little scuffed.
The light behind the suspension height adjustment button is out.
When I flip on the headlights the warning light tells me a tail light is out but they all seem to be on when I look at them.

If anyone has any threads on what to check for the big three things please post them up.

Thanks

Al

Things that I have had go wrong or fixed since then.

something either chewed a hole or snagged the fuel hose that goes from the gas tank to the filler neck so I am fixing that
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...pipe-hose.html
Leaking Trans Pan
Swap out all trans fluid
Oil Change
All air filters changed
Will need to change one of the air shocks at some point
I think my caliper is sticking
Battery has died

Last edited by lt1fire; 11-14-17 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-08-16, 10:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Nice color, congrats! It's amazing how it almost looks identical to the 04-06, meaning the headlamps are different. I thought the big ones were timing belt/water pump, lower control arm bushings, and motor mounts? Maybe check the coolant and make sure it hasn't evaporated...then maybe air suspension on the UL...
Old 11-08-16, 10:33 AM
lt1fire
Rookie

Sorry I meant the big three things that I want to fix soon. The steering wheel, rear sunshade and side mirror.
Old 11-08-16, 11:29 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I really love that Dark Cherry color on your car. Like you, my car had a few issues when I bought it that I'm addressing. Door lock actuator, bad speaker and subwoofer foam surrounds, non-functional telescopic feature but I got a great price on the car and I love it.

Go to the FAQ/DIY thread in the sticky section of the forum to find links to threads that can help you with your problems. Or just do a Google or site search and you will find plenty of information out there.

Enjoy your new ride...
Old 11-08-16, 12:38 PM
MR ED
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious how much your local dealer is charging for the timing belt job. Congrats on your new purchase.
Old 11-08-16, 03:07 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice color. Welcome to the club and congratulations on the new car. Interesting that you won't tell us what you paid. It's no big secret what these cars go for. Many of us have gotten fantastic deals on their cars, and some of us probably paid too much.

I can't imagine the reasoning behind your secrecy, but if it was too much, don't feel bad. I paid almost 20,000 dollars for my 2005 back in May. Granted it only has 49,000 miles..
Old 11-08-16, 03:53 PM
lt1fire
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Nice color. Welcome to the club and congratulations on the new car. Interesting that you won't tell us what you paid. It's no big secret what these cars go for. Many of us have gotten fantastic deals on their cars, and some of us probably paid too much.

I can't imagine the reasoning behind your secrecy, but if it was too much, don't feel bad. I paid almost 20,000 dollars for my 2005 back in May. Granted it only has 49,000 miles..
No secrecy at all. Doesn't really matter to me who knows what I paid for it but just was brought up to not throw $$$ out there right off the back LOL

I got it in the end for $4200 and got them to detail the car.

I mean I may be way off because this is my first lexus but it seemed to be a good price when I compared it against other ones for sale or older LS400s.
Old 11-08-16, 03:56 PM
lt1fire
Rookie

Originally Posted by MR ED
Just curious how much your local dealer is charging for the timing belt job. Congrats on your new purchase.
Sorry my first post was badly worded on that. Quote from dealer on special was 1k some kind of promotion they were running. That and I got a coupon off of a coworker that had it when they screwed up on a repair on his vehicle so I got it for $800 and a courtesy vehicle for the day when I have it done.
Old 11-09-16, 11:05 AM
MR ED
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's surely a good deal. Enjoy the LS. I've had mine for about 4 months and I love every minute of it.
Old 11-09-16, 11:25 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That's a nice deal and not a bad price on the TB/Water pump. Make sure they do the seals at the same time.

Nice color and great find. Welcome to the club.
Old 11-09-16, 03:55 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

also always worth a shot to try the toyota dealer, they are usually cheaper with pricing. I could see using the dealer if it was going to be for resale but you got such a good deal on the car and I'm sure oyu are just going to drive it and enjoy it so toyota dealer could save you some money and do just as good a job. After all they are all toyotas! Good luck its a really nice car you got there.
Old 11-09-16, 04:12 PM
lt1fire
Rookie

Are you talking about doing the timing belt at the yota dealer?

I tried 3 different ones and the only service they will do on a Lexus is an oil change.

Last edited by lt1fire; 11-09-16 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 06:29 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1fire
Are you talking about doing the timing belt at the yota dealer?

I tried 3 different ones and the only service they will do on a Lexus is an oil change.
yeah, it has been discussed a lot on this forum too. Must be your area. Mine will do all services. I had brakes done on mine there as well.
Old 11-10-16, 08:21 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
yeah, it has been discussed a lot on this forum too. Must be your area. Mine will do all services. I had brakes done on mine there as well.
Mine will do all services but def not less expensive. Their TB price is the same as Lex dealer. Drain and fill is more. Shop carefully
Old 11-10-16, 08:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Mine will do all services but def not less expensive. Their TB price is the same as Lex dealer. Drain and fill is more. Shop carefully
Exactly....in PA we need to pay for our state inspections and Toyota was more than BMW, and BMW gives you a free loaner. Lexus charged $59 for a brake flush, and $129 for a coolant flush. Prices are all over the place. I bet you cannot get a brake flush from a muffler shop for $59. One would think that Lexus gives you a free loaner too with timing belt, but then again it's over $1k. Dealers are for convenience, but if car is not needed back same day, indies are probably better on price, but still not always!

Quick Reply: Our new 2001 LS430 UL