LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is this normal for the driver's side wiper arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 05:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Is this normal for the driver's side wiper arm

Should it stop here (not parallel to the side of the glass), or is my arm maladjusted? My glass is Lexus, but not sure if it's original or was replaced (seems that that's where they could be off upon reinstallation). One would think that since the blade pivots, it shouldn't be slanted like this.....but I've never checked another LS430....

Name:  wiper_zps0fojpzox.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  239.5 KB
Old 11-08-16, 08:09 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Mine runs parallel to the glass, stops about 2.5 inches from edge...
Old 11-08-16, 08:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, I knew Lexus engineers weren't that stupid hahahahahahahahaha (some auto glass dude likely was)

OK I probably need to reposition the arm then....I hate doing it, from experience, it takes some force and I hate putting it back which also takes force.......
Old 11-08-16, 09:41 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two small screws on the arm that you can loosen and then adjust the arm to stop wherever you like on the windshield. I prefer mine to be close to the A pillar.
Old 11-08-16, 10:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSGarry
There are two small screws on the arm that you can loosen and then adjust the arm to stop wherever you like on the windshield. I prefer mine to be close to the A pillar.
Thanks I will take a look...meaning I don't have to remove the wiper arm and reposition...because the flip side of that is it would come up, and that doesn't seem right either (meaning it would be less concealed when parked...)
Old 11-08-16, 04:47 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I took this this morning for you. Seems like mine is also going further than yours.... correction lol your picture is closer so maybe mine is exactly like yours?

​​​​​​​
Old 11-08-16, 06:06 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSGarry
this is totally it....with the hood opened, the two little screws on the little arm can be released. Now if you extend it towards the passenger side, the top of the wiper blade will pivot closer to the upper edge of the glass. The downside is that when it parks, it will be a little higher than before. I may have extended it to the other extreme. The blade looks perpindicular to the road, but now it's a little slanted the opposite way, but IMHO much better....cool tip!
Old 11-08-16, 06:07 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I took this this morning for you. Seems like mine is also going further than yours.... correction lol your picture is closer so maybe mine is exactly like yours?

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​Thanks brother, much appreciated!
edit:
This is how it looks now--with the little arm extended all the way towards the passenger side. Technically, the top of the blade is now a little closer to the a pillar than the bottom--I won't touch it anymore, but I'd probably have rather have it tip the other way just a tad. I just don't want to strip or lose those tiny screws--at first I thought they were frozen, but used a bigger phillips head bit to break them free....

Name:  wip2_zpsprhimakx.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  376.7 KB

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-09-16 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 07:11 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Thanks brother, much appreciated!
edit:
This is how it looks now--with the little arm extended all the way towards the passenger side. Technically, the top of the blade is now a little closer to the a pillar than the bottom--I won't touch it anymore, but I'd probably have rather have it tip the other way just a tad. I just don't want to strip or lose those tiny screws--at first I thought they were frozen, but used a bigger phillips head bit to break them free....

I am getting a clunk when the wipers hit the bottom on the downstroke. will these screws allow me to raise the arm a tad so they don't bottom out?
Old 11-10-16, 05:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmore430
I am getting a clunk when the wipers hit the bottom on the downstroke. will these screws allow me to raise the arm a tad so they don't bottom out?
Not sure about that, if I listen very carefully, I believe I hear a clunk as well. It may be from the so called transmission and not hitting? I believe that if those screws are adjusted, it slightly changes the angle of the way the blade parks. If extended, then the passenger side edge tips upward....yesterday was only the 2nd time I drove in steady rain...the wipers remind me of a 1980's transit bus, the way the blade pivots....I kind of wonder why Lexus designed it that way....imho seems very dated....
Old 01-22-17, 01:00 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Wanted to get to the bottom of a clunk when the wipers returned to the park position (every intermittent stroke). Sneaking suspicion confirmed--the wiper needs to be adjusted closer to the original position of this thread, to avoid that contact. So once again, from the driver perspective, the top end of the left blade appears slightly turned in. When I first started, it was the extreme, now, in the middle. I bet the original owner may have complained of noise and the dealer simply brought it in all the way. Anyhow, it's quiet now, so I think it's worth it, even though it looks just a little odd to me. Not as bad by any stretch, so a good compromise...
Old 01-23-17, 05:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmore430
I now know the answer, and it is yes. If you compress the arm a little more, then the top edge will start to move towards the passenger side, and slightly look as though it is not tipped far enough from the inside, like this below. But, the clunk will be gone. I must have tried 5 settings to get it here. Today, it rained again, and the sound is 100% gone. But, you can see my wiper is back to looking a little like the top edge is tipping to the right more than one would like....this was the best I could do and it's ok.....

Name:  wipe_zpsy4s2zyki.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  240.5 KB
Old 01-24-17, 04:42 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I now know the answer, and it is yes. If you compress the arm a little more, then the top edge will start to move towards the passenger side, and slightly look as though it is not tipped far enough from the inside, like this below. But, the clunk will be gone. I must have tried 5 settings to get it here. Today, it rained again, and the sound is 100% gone. But, you can see my wiper is back to looking a little like the top edge is tipping to the right more than one would like....this was the best I could do and it's ok.....

thanks for posting bsck ill have to make this adjustment. The clunking when they bottom out gets annoying