LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

does anyone know the Lexus procedure for flushing the brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 05:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default does anyone know the Lexus procedure for flushing the brake fluid?

Do they go to each caliper and push the old fluid out? My sneaking suspicion is that a dealer does not do that. Because I had the dealer do it for $59 (cheaper than a muffler shop), and when I left, the fluid was so clear I could barely see it. Now, it's golden again, as if old fluid has mixed with the new fluid.

Is this another case of having to DIY if you want it done right?
Old 11-01-16, 07:12 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding is you start from the reservoir, then from the ferthest brake caliper working your way to the shortest line. Usually but not a must this will be.
1) Passenger rear wheel.
2) Driver rear wheel.
3) Pasnget front wheel.
4) Driver front wheel.
This usually the case for left or right hand drive vehicles. To flush the the ABS pump and lines I don't now.
Old 11-01-16, 07:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I just wonder if they actually did that, or simply drained the reservoir, refilled, and flushed out of 1 caliper.....

With the BMW, I have the dealer software (which I think is Techstream in the Toyota world). It pulses each caliper using the ABS pump one at a time (one opens the bleeder upon instruction, then closes upon instruction, from the software). I needed to do this because I had my ABS/DSC (stability) pump rebuilt and then I reinstalled--tons of air and pedal went to the floor. The procedure is to bleed normally once, bleed with the computer the 2nd time, then done. My BMW's fluid has always been clear, not golden, even after 2 yrs, but not sure if DOT 4 is different.....

BMW states the "ABL" aka automated bleed is necessary when a component of the braking system has been removed, because are lodged in the ABS pump can not be dislodged under normal bleed procedures. Under normal circumstances, not necessary, and not included in a normal brake flush.

I do know Lexus/Toyota has a bean counter aspect to them, I mean they do not use synth oil across the board, the way Germans do....so they may even argue we got most of the fluid out, it will not harm you etc.....maybe only a Lexus tech can tell us if all 4 calipers is actually done...
Old 11-01-16, 08:00 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus Master Techs have an SST and use pressure to bleed brakes from the master cylinder and the ABS pump. Very simple rig - pressurize the system and go around opening the bleeders on all 4 corners.

You doubt humanity and the mechanics a little too much - do give them benefit of doubt once in a while (until proven wrong).
Old 11-01-16, 08:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
You doubt humanity and the mechanics a little too much - do give them benefit of doubt once in a while (until proven wrong).
Probably, just curious why the fluid was clear as water when I left, and 2 days later, golden as it was prior to the visit. I guess for $59, one should not question and just swipe the Visa. It's just contrary to what I know from DIY, including my Nissan. But, this is Lexus...

edit: Just thought of this, I can simply call the dealer and ask them. They ought to be able to answer how they replace coolant, and brake fluid. They do it every day. Again, my curiosity is the perceived color change. Honestly, if 100% satisfaction is the goal, and I'm the dealer, I'd just say bring your car back and we'll do it again. You're spending $59, which is not a lot, but we'll get you someday for timing belt/water pump, LCAs, motor mounts...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-01-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 09:44 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Probably, just curious why the fluid was clear as water when I left, and 2 days later, golden as it was prior to the visit. I guess for $59, one should not question and just swipe the Visa. It's just contrary to what I know from DIY, including my Nissan. But, this is Lexus...

edit: Just thought of this, I can simply call the dealer and ask them. They ought to be able to answer how they replace coolant, and brake fluid. They do it every day. Again, my curiosity is the perceived color change. Honestly, if 100% satisfaction is the goal, and I'm the dealer, I'd just say bring your car back and we'll do it again. You're spending $59, which is not a lot, but we'll get you someday for timing belt/water pump, LCAs, motor mounts...
My personal problem with getting any service/repair done with a tech I do not know personally, is that another incidental item can get broken or damaged, and I get upset. I only bring my car in when necessary and "try" to get a tech I'm familiar with to do the work and I "take care" of him after. There is still no guarantees.
Old 11-01-16, 09:47 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Lexus Master Techs have an SST and use pressure to bleed brakes from the master cylinder and the ABS pump. Very simple rig - pressurize the system and go around opening the bleeders on all 4 corners.

+1

FWIW, I've see some "new" brake fluid that didn't come out of the bottle clear although in your case you stated that the fluid was clear when you picked up the car. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There's more important things in life to worry about.

I bled my car last week by myself. Judging by the service records and the swampy green color of the fluid that I pulled out of the reservoir, it had been almost 10 years since it was done last. Although I got all of the old fluid out of the reservoir before I started bleeding the system there still was some crud in there that was hard to remove even after running 3 pints of fluid through the system. So in the end the color in my reservoir as I see it today isn't exactly clear but I'm not terribly concerned about it. Maybe later in the week I take the car down to a gravel road a few miles away and exercise the ABS system to see if I can kick out anything in the ABS system and then do a quick re-bleed...
Old 11-01-16, 09:58 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again, the color plays tricks on my eyes, maybe it's my eyes? Straight from the jug into a clear water bottle, pink. Take said water bottle, cover it 3 sides, look at night, starts to look orange. (holy **** all kidding aside it might be my eyes!)
John, I just saw your post on the coolant thread and I have to say maybe your eyes are deceiving you about the color of your brake fluid also?!?
Old 11-01-16, 10:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gronemus
John, I just saw your post on the coolant thread and I have to say maybe your eyes are deceiving you about the color of your brake fluid also?!?
It's not out of the question (it was raining the day I got the car from the dealer? Dark and gloomy?)....I cannot for the life of me explain the coolant looking orange under certain conditions, and pink at other times....hahahahahahaha

And I do get it, my dad told me to trust more as a kid. Sometimes, it would be better to not know, assume all is ok, and be rich, fat, dumb, and happy, really.....then I see one of those Jiffy Lube exposés and man I tell myself I don't want to be fleeced!

(example--what if you paid for synthetic motor oil, and every time, they used a synthetic blend that's cheaper, but charged you--it could be argued, you'll never know the difference nor be harmed, it's good enough for your car, so why worry...)
Old 11-01-16, 11:42 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

This may help...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brake Bleed.pdf (272.4 KB, 398 views)
Old 11-01-16, 12:25 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkw77080
This may help...
Thanks...quite interesting, Lexus has a bleeder on the ABS pump itself, so it's a mechanical procedure, software isn't necessary.....but I do see the "SST's" are different for the ABS and master etc., I think there are 3. I have heard it said that using one's foot is not preferred because there is the risk of forcing the piston/plunger further than it would normally travel during day to day braking (human error on how hard to press and hold)....
Old 01-17-17, 11:17 AM
Kverma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I am a newbie with a 2004 LS 430. My brake bleeders on two wheels are rusted and stuck in the calipers. The workshop suggests replacing calipers to avoid stripping the threads. Anyone have any experience in removing seized bleeder screws? Also, are there any aftermarket screws available in stainless steel?
Old 01-17-17, 01:54 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kverma
Hello - I am a newbie with a 2004 LS 430. My brake bleeders on two wheels are rusted and stuck in the calipers. The workshop suggests replacing calipers to avoid stripping the threads. Anyone have any experience in removing seized bleeder screws? Also, are there any aftermarket screws available in stainless steel?
Why replace the calipers to avoid stripping the threads? That's putting the cart before the horse.

I've run across a few rusted bleeder screws in my day. I would suggest using a deep penetrant like Kano Aerokroil penetrating oil on the bleeders and letting it soak for a day or two. Make sure to use a six-point socket on the bleeder so you don't strip off the edges of the head. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that show how to remove them using a little bit of heat. Good luck...
Old 01-17-17, 02:56 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

You can also try a gadget called "Brake Free"
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Syste...rds=brake+free

Check with your local AutoZone or other auto parts retailers - they may have a loaner you can borrow.
Old 01-17-17, 04:41 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a similar issue on my '02 UL when I purchased it about 6 years ago and have noticed many other LS's with very dark black looking brake fluid. First change looked good for about a week then turned darker brown after a few weeks. Second change about 3 months later was better, it turned a lighter brown after a few months. Then, as part of a brake job after a year or so, dealer suggested BG flush and exchange. (I know many won't approve). After, the fluid remained honey color until the car was disposed of. I had no other problems with the brakes for the life of the car. Lesson, it may take a few fluid services to remove the contaminants.

Quick Reply: does anyone know the Lexus procedure for flushing the brake fluid?