LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went to a car show

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 08:51 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Someone wondered why the slammed cars with giant wheels and extreme body kits are so popular these days.

Back in 1899 an economist named Thorstein Veblen published a book called "The Theory of the Leisure Class" in which among other ground breaking ideas, he invented a term called "Conspicuous Consumption". Conspicuous Consumption is a behavior that spends money on purchases (or services) purely to gain attention from others. The theory also details that if the items purchased for conspicuous consumption are mostly useless for any practical function then their value for conspicuous consumption is greatly enhanced because only the most rich and powerful can easily spend money on useless and/or impractical items.

Spending many thousands on huge wheels, ultra low profile tires that barely fit in the wheel well, and extreme body kits that make the car almost impossible to drive on regular streets is the ultimate in conspicuous consumption.

A great deal of everyday ordinary human behavior can be explained by these types of behavior.

and now back to our regular LS430 forum programming...

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-25-16 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 06:30 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I want to know what happened to all the wheels with the spinners? As many as I used to see, they all seem to be gone now.

But where to????
Old 10-26-16, 07:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Someone wondered why the slammed cars with giant wheels and extreme body kits are so popular these days.

Back in 1899 an economist named Thorstein Veblen published a book called "The Theory of the Leisure Class" in which among other ground breaking ideas, he invented a term called "Conspicuous Consumption". Conspicuous Consumption is a behavior that spends money on purchases (or services) purely to gain attention from others. The theory also details that if the items purchased for conspicuous consumption are mostly useless for any practical function then their value for conspicuous consumption is greatly enhanced because only the most rich and powerful can easily spend money on useless and/or impractical items.

Spending many thousands on huge wheels, ultra low profile tires that barely fit in the wheel well, and extreme body kits that make the car almost impossible to drive on regular streets is the ultimate in conspicuous consumption.

A great deal of everyday ordinary human behavior can be explained by these types of behavior.

and now back to our regular LS430 forum programming...
Awesome! You took me back to college.....

Who can say....I like to be inconspicuous, don't like attention. But personalities are different. I like factory 18's, and don't like factory 17's, and I don't like putting on my winter tires that are 17's. But why? Do I actually in fact care about strangers seeing me with 17's?! Maybe I do....

I was once given a 128i convertible loaner. Firstly, a 1 is diminutive imho. Next, a convertible? Very showy or girly or something that I don't like. I took it to a remote part of a Pathmark parking lot (this implies it was a long time ago they no longer exist), and I put the power top down. A woman drives by, and says, "Hey, beautiful car!" And I felt ashamed, seriously! Who can explain. I was in the LS430, and next to a MAN, younger, tough guy like, who was in a 128i with the top down, cranking very loud music. He wanted everyone to see him in what I consider a diminutive and girlish car.....we're all different...
Old 10-27-16, 07:21 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
There would have been more slammed cars at the show, except half of them beached themselves like whales on the first driveway they met, and the other half had their entire exhaust system ripped off by a manhole cover.

​​​​​dude this is to funny