LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New front rotors and brake brand choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 09:36 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used these guys for quite some years now as needed for brake parts and have never had a failure to meet expectations. Usually for daily drivers that are used for some spirited driving but not pure track oriented.If and when brakes are needed on the LS, these are what I plan on using. Customer service is great - I had a shipping issue once and it was taken care of immediately.

https://amzn.com/B016E1Z1P2

https://amzn.com/B016E2I05Y

https://www.r1concepts.com/
Old 10-25-16, 04:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Here is a pic of the pad with sensor. It does look like it is held on by a tiny metal clip, and could be removed and transferred. This one has clearly never touched the rotor as I believe the akebono pads are 20% worn if that (I wanted all new OEM due to a pulsation and condition of sale). Guess I'll just keep it and potentially reuse someday (not sure if it touches at 50%, or when done--BMW is 2 stage, turning on a yellow, then red, light, and the sensor clips into the channel on the pad, and usually breaks upon removal)

Name:  pad_zpsy6ifig2h.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  860.8 KB
Old 10-25-16, 06:20 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

The sensors are easy to replace, they just plug in and clip on to the pad bracket. I picked up some generic ones on ebay. They were like $5-7 each. They worked fine, Just unplug the old one if it's poped and plugin, then clip it on.

A lot of auto places say they can use the old one, If the light comes on, they just put a good bead of sodder acrross the contacts, when the break pads get low, it just chips off the sodder and kicks the light back on. So they can be re-used if you wanted to save a little.
Old 10-25-16, 06:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
The sensors are easy to replace, they just plug in and clip on to the pad bracket. I picked up some generic ones on ebay. They were like $5-7 each. They worked fine, Just unplug the old one if it's poped and plugin, then clip it on.

A lot of auto places say they can use the old one, If the light comes on, they just put a good bead of sodder acrross the contacts, when the break pads get low, it just chips off the sodder and kicks the light back on. So they can be re-used if you wanted to save a little.
It's amazing how much Lexus OEM costs....again, if we use BMW as a reference, the mfg. of the BMW OEM are sold for $15....whatever happened to a piece of metal scraping the rotor, to tell you the pads are done, "IF" you let them get that far? Nobody seems to really like sensors, but some of us are in the camp if the car came with them, we still want them as opposed to bypassing....
Old 10-25-16, 07:13 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It's amazing how much Lexus OEM costs....again, if we use BMW as a reference, the mfg. of the BMW OEM are sold for $15....whatever happened to a piece of metal scraping the rotor, to tell you the pads are done, "IF" you let them get that far? Nobody seems to really like sensors, but some of us are in the camp if the car came with them, we still want them as opposed to bypassing....
True...They are just basic at their form on the break sensors and Lexus OEM is just crazy on it. Of course if someone no longer wants to deal with them, they can just clip the end, tie the ends together, electrical tape it and strap the remaiders up. Problem gone. If your ok with a soddering, they are easy enough to re-use. Just a heavy bead of sodder across the connections on it.

I'd prefer to keep them working as a FYI but, No way I would pay OEM prices on these, there is not much to them. The $5-7 ebay one work perfect and I dont think there is any difference over the OEM ones that are crazy money.

I have no problem with sensors to tell you if a problem is coming up, it's part of the car trying to tell you there is an issue but, the problem is when the SENSOR goes and there is no problem with the car. That is what I have a problem with, as it could be a wild goose chase to find out that there is nothing wrong with the car.

I came from a LS400 that I had for 5 years, and my LS430 I have had for like 13 years now (longest I have owned a car), I have delt with many BAD sensors over the years and a few times after spening 100's on it trying to find the problem....and it was a $90 sensor...