LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New front rotors and brake brand choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 07:30 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I'm the OP. I have found fairly often that replacing OEM with aftermarket can frequently have some kind of issues.......That is why for the most part I usually always go for OEM parts unless the price is over the top expensive for OEM. I don't work on my car myself. I can get the Lexus/Toyota OEM pads and rotors delivered to my house for $255. The aftermarket Akebono with Centric rotors for $177. I do very little driving (around 5-6,000 miles a year). For an additional $78 for OEM, and knowing everything is factory compatable....should I be taking the chance to save $78? I'm not sure what a fair price is for labor to change out rotors and pads for the front of the LS430 from an independent shop, but I'm leaning towards staying original. Does $100 labor sound in the ball park? An hour labor? I hate surprises when I bring my own parts. What do you guys think?
. Put it this way, the Lexus dealers advertise $299 per axle, new pads and turning rotors (what happens to the sensor?). You would get new rotors pads for $355. That's a way better deal than the $299. It likely takes much less than an hour, but IMHO $100 is fair. What happens with the sensor though, I saw it was over $70 Oem. Even BMW is like $30 Oem, $15 aftermarket....

imho Oem gives you quality, aftermarket may as well, but sometimes not...
Old 10-23-16, 09:14 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use ebc usr slotted rotors $300 for front $180 for rear and brembo pads $55 for front and $52 for rear and I am super happy with the results. I was looking into getting the brembo 8 piston big brake kit but I can't get behind spending $4000-$5000 on brakes for a car that allready has really good brakes from the factory.

Last edited by Jks24; 10-23-16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 04:52 AM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the RAYBESTOS 980185R. They seem to be performing well since installing them in about 2 months back. I put some off brand pads on a year back. I've put on perhaps 5000 miles since.
Old 10-24-16, 05:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

What do you guys do about the sensors? If they are like BMW, you can't reuse them as they clip/are embedded in the pad. Some folks refuse to pay $15 for a new one, so they tie them off and fool the computer into thinking they're fine. But I hear with Lexus, they're like $7x list which seems steep?

And I get it, Lexus does not have the German mentality that pads/rotors are always replaced together, even the dealerships advertise pads only with rotors turned for $299....different mindset (even VWs use synthetic oil, Lexus does not--I remember reading a Toyota dissertation that it doesn't make sense economically, getting into marginal benefit vs. cost--Germans just do it because it's better period lol)
Old 10-24-16, 07:05 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
. Put it this way, the Lexus dealers advertise $299 per axle, new pads and turning rotors (what happens to the sensor?). You would get new rotors pads for $355. That's a way better deal than the $299. It likely takes much less than an hour, but IMHO $100 is fair. What happens with the sensor though, I saw it was over $70 Oem. Even BMW is like $30 Oem, $15 aftermarket....

imho Oem gives you quality, aftermarket may as well, but sometimes not...
Good question. If I am changing out to new OEM pads and rotors will I need to get new sensors for each side? In other words I can't reuse the old sensors? With as little mileage I drive (5-6,000 a year) and checking my brakes regularly, do I need the sensors? What do replacement sensors cost?
Old 10-24-16, 07:34 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Several hundred thousand miles on LS's, too many brake component changes to remember - I only use OEM parts.

It's a very simple job, even when changing rotors (the brake caliper must be removed - 2 bolts). The important details IMO are making sure the wheel hub is brushed clean, check the new rotor for any runout, spray brake cleaner to remove brake dust around caliper pistons. The labor time an indy mechanic charges could be 1 - 2 hours max.

Last edited by Tom57; 10-24-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-24-16, 07:38 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Good question. If I am changing out to new OEM pads and rotors will I need to get new sensors for each side? In other words I can't reuse the old sensors? With as little mileage I drive (5-6,000 a year) and checking my brakes regularly, do I need the sensors? What do replacement sensors cost?
New sensors?? What sensors? Speed sensors are in the hub - not needed. Brake wear sensors (one in front / one in rear) not needed unless continuity broken in sensor and light on dash.
Old 10-24-16, 07:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
New sensors?? What sensors? Speed sensors are in the hub - not needed. Brake wear sensors (one in front / one in rear) not needed unless continuity broken in sensor and light on dash.
Apparently the front lists for $78, and the rear for $110. Rockauto seems to have aftermarket as low as $17. With BMW, the aftermarket cos. who make the OEM for BMW, cost $15.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-wire-assy-pad-wear-indicator-front-rh~47770-50050.html?Make=Lexus&Model=LS430&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=(d=USA;0=UCF30L-AETGKA)&Location=front-disc-brake-caliper-dust-cover,,47770

If they are like BMW, they cannot be reused because they break when they are removed from the pad. I'll go back and look at the parts that were returned to me, and will post a pic. When the selling dealership did my brakes with OEM, the box contained the pads with sensor, 4 bolts, and 2 rotors. I am asking because this seems to be the parts needed for the job. Doesn't seem DIY'ers here mention anything about the sensor, but I think I've seen mention of the bolts being replaced not reused.

edit: In other words, if the procedure is to never reuse caliper bolts and to replace sensors, I take my car somewhere and they install new rotors implying calipers came off, and I am not charged for 4 bolts, nor a sensor, it makes me wonder whether they are following procedure, or determining that even though Toyota says to replace the bolts, they decided it's not necessary. If so, why are they not necessary, is it a time saver for the shop, or are they trying to save the customer money?

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-24-16 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-24-16, 08:18 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

The caliper bolts (fine thread ) are one-time use according to Lexus repair manual. Some have re-used the bolts without any issues. Dry torque to no more than spec.

Again, no replacement sensors are needed - Lexus is not BMW.
Old 10-24-16, 08:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
The caliper bolts (fine thread ) are one-time use according to Lexus repair manual. Some have re-used the bolts without any issues. Dry torque to no more than spec.

Again, no replacement sensors are needed - Lexus is not BMW.
Are you saying the sensor is reusable? I thought it was clipped into the brake pad, but I only looked at it one time.

I guess what I'm questioning then, is if the selling dealership on my used car, did the brake job for no charge, and at my request, with OEM parts (new car dealer NOT Lexus dealer), why would they have included the caliper bolts and sensor in addition to the two rotors and pads as returned parts, when if anyone, they would be looking to keep the cost down on this internal job? The svc mgr. told me as I was waiting, we were instructed by Lexus to replace the bolts and sensor so we're doing those as well...imho whatever the wholesale b2b price is, it cost them that much more than if they had not done them and stuck with pads/rotors. If the sensor lists for $78, it still must cost a dealer $25-$30. Maybe the 4 bolts another $10. I was even gonna ask them if they used OEM for the door actuator, but I bet they did since time was of the essence (I could be fooling myself this is the car business). The brake parts' boxes had the local Lexus dealer's name on stickers...again I'll take a pic of the sensor and pad, would be interesting to see that it's not what I envision and can be reused.
Old 10-24-16, 11:03 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Are you saying the sensor is reusable? I thought it was clipped into the brake pad, but I only looked at it one time.

I guess what I'm questioning then, is if the selling dealership on my used car, did the brake job for no charge, and at my request, with OEM parts (new car dealer NOT Lexus dealer), why would they have included the caliper bolts and sensor in addition to the two rotors and pads as returned parts, when if anyone, they would be looking to keep the cost down on this internal job? The svc mgr. told me as I was waiting, we were instructed by Lexus to replace the bolts and sensor so we're doing those as well...imho whatever the wholesale b2b price is, it cost them that much more than if they had not done them and stuck with pads/rotors. If the sensor lists for $78, it still must cost a dealer $25-$30. Maybe the 4 bolts another $10. I was even gonna ask them if they used OEM for the door actuator, but I bet they did since time was of the essence (I could be fooling myself this is the car business). The brake parts' boxes had the local Lexus dealer's name on stickers...again I'll take a pic of the sensor and pad, would be interesting to see that it's not what I envision and can be reused.
When I first changed my pads over 6 years ago, I got OEM pads and did not purchase any sensor. The Indy shop told me they were able to use the existing sensor. I hope this helps.
Old 10-24-16, 11:47 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Just wanted some thoughts here. I needed all 4 really bad at one point so I just went to an autozone and got all 4 rotors/break pads(needed to get them done ASAP at the time), 2nd time doing this and after about 25K here I am again with a warped rotor. I remember the OEM ones had almost 100K on them before they started getting scraped with bad pads so I replaced them. The Autozone rotors are junk if your looking for something to last.

As the OEM ones lasted the longest I have seen (never warped), I was thinking about getting OEM rotors and pads, for the front they are about $240, seems a little more expensive thank other options but, I would bet to see around 50K on them so seems like a good deal.

Am I wrong to think this way, is there better options than the luck I had with the OEM ones ?
Old 10-24-16, 12:08 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Remember I am only 3 wks. into a LS430, which is why I ask so many questions, and I insisted on OEM brakes for the fronts to be done, to which the selling new car dealer agreed to. So that has always been my mindset, except for the 98 Maxima where I wanted to save money. I have used all kinds on that over the years, and like I've said, Raybestos with black hats rusted in days, where the pads do not sweep the discs. The hats rusted in months. This as someone pointed out is merely cosmetic...my LS's rears are rusted badly (aftermarket). But the pads are new, and discs seem fine.

On my BMW, I do everything myself including bleeding, automated bleeding, and removal and installation of the ABS/DSC pump (hey when the dealer wants more than $4k for the job, there is an incentive) I use all OEM except the sensors, why pay $30 when you can pay $15. The discs have a coating which is grayish white. The pads wear this away, leaving the rest coated, and they don't rust even in 9 years.

I don't know what allows stuff to embed in pads, but this happened to my Maxima rears over and over like a broken record, ruining rear rotors every couple of years. Grooves, the swept area getting smaller and smaller, bad news. I don't know if OEM would have prevented it. Multiple rear calipers too. Fronts, original over 18 years old, aftermarket rotors ok.....

I see good OEM prices online, but have yet to find free shipping. DavidCT I don't think anyone can go wrong with OEM.....my .02
Old 10-24-16, 01:00 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Remember I am only 3 wks. into a LS430, which is why I ask so many questions, and I insisted on OEM brakes for the fronts to be done, to which the selling new car dealer agreed to. So that has always been my mindset, except for the 98 Maxima where I wanted to save money. I have used all kinds on that over the years, and like I've said, Raybestos with black hats rusted in days, where the pads do not sweep the discs. The hats rusted in months. This as someone pointed out is merely cosmetic...my LS's rears are rusted badly (aftermarket). But the pads are new, and discs seem fine.

On my BMW, I do everything myself including bleeding, automated bleeding, and removal and installation of the ABS/DSC pump (hey when the dealer wants more than $4k for the job, there is an incentive) I use all OEM except the sensors, why pay $30 when you can pay $15. The discs have a coating which is grayish white. The pads wear this away, leaving the rest coated, and they don't rust even in 9 years.

I don't know what allows stuff to embed in pads, but this happened to my Maxima rears over and over like a broken record, ruining rear rotors every couple of years. Grooves, the swept area getting smaller and smaller, bad news. I don't know if OEM would have prevented it. Multiple rear calipers too. Fronts, original over 18 years old, aftermarket rotors ok.....

I see good OEM prices online, but have yet to find free shipping. DavidCT I don't think anyone can go wrong with OEM.....my .02
My 2001 LS430 now has 240K... I got the car when it was 3 years old with 40K on the clock. Wife is like, it aint broke dont fix (as to get a newer one), the dam thing wont die !

Anyway, OEM's lasted about 100K before they were replaced and no warping or any other issues. So, I would think going OEM would be the best route here but, as we got a lot of other replies, just wondering what other's thoughts are.
Old 10-24-16, 02:41 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
My 2001 LS430 now has 240K... I got the car when it was 3 years old with 40K on the clock. Wife is like, it aint broke dont fix (as to get a newer one), the dam thing wont die !

Anyway, OEM's lasted about 100K before they were replaced and no warping or any other issues. So, I would think going OEM would be the best route here but, as we got a lot of other replies, just wondering what other's thoughts are.
Ok.......Here is the deal......I'm the OP and when starting this thread was actually considering the aftermarket pads and rotors only because my rotors started warping after only one year after they were turned and OEM pads were replaced. I'm sure the rotors (after 98,000 miles) were already turned before so might have been getting thinner and prone to warpage. However, now after almost 7 years of ownership I just ordered new OEM pads and rotors on line for $251 total to my door. It should be arriving in a short time. I'm done with trying to save a few pennies and then finding out there is some kind of squealing or phantom screeching or any other issues. There should be no need for a brake sensor replacement for me as I still have almost 50% meat left on the pads after 25,000 miles. If the brake light is not on or the sensor is not worn, you should be fine. The original caliper bolts should also be most likely ok to reuse. Since I've owned my car I have always gone with OEM parts with the 2 exceptions of my Denso Radiator and Koyo Wheel Hub which both actually are closest in design and manufacturing to the OEM parts. The price differences for the brake parts (if you shop around) are not that different and I rather know that I'm hopefully done with everything after the install without surprises. I hope this helps you guys with your decision making. Thanks everyone for all your great imput.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 10-24-16 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: New front rotors and brake brand choices