LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Suggestions for 17" wheels to modernize my 04???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 06:35 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Suggestions for 17" wheels to modernize my 04???

I have a 2004 LS430.....I love my car and would like to keep it for a few more years. I like the stock wheels but I think they lack "pop" compared to modern cars.......New BMWs have nice looking stock wheels for example.......Im 51 so I dont want to make my car into a young mans street ride........I am looking for class and bringing my car into 2016......I will try to include a pic as an example...thanks...the green car is mine......Suggestions for 17" wheels to modernize my 04???-l123.jpgSuggestions for 17" wheels to modernize my 04???-l234.jpgSuggestions for 17" wheels to modernize my 04???-lex-pic-re-size.jpg
Old 10-20-16, 02:06 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Motegi MR132

KMC KM685

My personal favorites

Miro Type 110

BBS LMs

Old 10-20-16, 06:55 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.........its a big move for me.......would almost need to see the wheels on a LS430 to make a move.....but as u can see in my pics above, the white car looks sharp and makes my car look dull.
Old 10-20-16, 07:30 AM
vividracing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most aftermarket wheels in 17" do not look nearly as good as the same exact wheel would in a 19 or 20". This is because with the smaller diameter, the design of the wheel is compressed, and looks smushed together (for lack of a better term). This car has very large fenders, and can fit up to a 22" wheel, so if you were to go up to a 20", you would not be maxing out what the car can fit. Most luxury sedans are coming with 20" wheels from the factory, and from the looks of it, the white LS you posted is running 20's as well. A good set of 20" wheels would run you in the $1000 range + tires. If you would like some assistance, shoot me a PM with what style and color you like, and i can put something together for you.
Old 10-20-16, 07:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I got these for my snows....really not for looks but price, only $112 each.....17x8 with I think a 45mm offset. Have not put on the car yet....

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...Silver+Painted
Old 10-20-16, 08:22 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Tirerack wheel section has a tool to envision wheels on your car...

Once you choose, you can have them sent to a local installer along with tires.

Plus, their phone reps are proficient in discussing "plus sizing". The main thing being you want the diameter of the tire/wheel combo to be the same or very close so your speedometer is not off.
Old 10-20-16, 08:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Tirerack wheel section has a tool to envision wheels on your car...

Once you choose, you can have them sent to a local installer along with tires.

Plus, their phone reps are proficient in discussing "plus sizing". The main thing being you want the diameter of the tire/wheel combo to be the same or very close so your speedometer is not off.
If you're close enough to a distribution center, you can pick them up to save the shipping (I think you pay sales tax). Since we picked up in DE, no tax....

I have mixed feelings about the so-called installers. Years ago, I used one from the list, who proceeded to damage all 4 rims. When I asked one of the owners angrily WTF was this tech thinking? The a****** comes out and says you try mounting 40 series tires and see how well you do. HUH?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? What a weird moment.....replacements were shipped....
Old 10-20-16, 08:53 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Shiny 17" chrome UL wheels look great on an 01 Gold because of the bright car color. Tried them on my 04 Cypress Pearl which is a pretty low key color. Total overkill. Looked at the car and all I saw were the chrome wheels. I put on stock 18's (high polish silver 5 spoke). The larger wheel updates the car nicely and there's a much better balance between wheel color and car color. JMO but I wouldn't put big super flashy wheels on this color if it's stock ride height and no other visual mods. There's also the ride quality issue.
Old 10-20-16, 09:11 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes the aftermarket wheels look good on the white LS but pictures are shot in the dark w/ headlight/runnings lights on (and probably brighter LED). What I'd call "drama" pictures. The key is what the car looks like in daylight. For aftermarket, I'd do a 18 which is a clean design w/ matte finish. Bigger flashier wheels? Lower the car, tint the windows, etc
Old 10-20-16, 10:22 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Would not do it. Your LS looks fantastic as-is. The LS430 is a conservative, stately auto. Aftermarket wheels just don't look right on it unless you are going for the senior version of Fast and Furious.
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

these would be my choice, I'm just concerned about the offset and the warnings about rubbing? I"m not into rolling fenders etc, which is why the OEM optional 18's are ok by me.....(yes we all look the same, I'm ok with that)

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...raphite+Silver
vividracing
Former Sponsor

I don't like to recommend those virtual tools that put the wheels on the car for you. They never to the wheel justice. If you find a wheel you like, i would do a google image search for the wheel, and look at ACTUAL pictures of them on the car. You may not find a picture of your car, but at least you will find a picture of the actual wheel, rather than a rendering of one. There are instances where the actual pictures are night and day compared to the virtual tool. Also, you get to see the wheels in different lighting situations.

Another tip, to kind of touch on what i was saying before.. Most places are going to advertise the wheels in the pictures they have online in a larger size because it looks better. Another reason to do the google search for real pictures.

Example... her is the same wheel, but one is an actual photo on a truck, and the other is the picture they use to advertise the wheel.

Old 10-20-16, 10:28 AM
vividracing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
these would be my choice, I'm just concerned about the offset and the warnings about rubbing? I"m not into rolling fenders etc, which is why the OEM optional 18's are ok by me.....(yes we all look the same, I'm ok with that)

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...raphite+Silver

I have heard nightmare stories about people getting terrible fitment on wheels that they ordered. As long as you are ordering from a reputable place that knows wheel fitment (like i do) you would never have this issue.
Old 10-20-16, 10:50 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

My suggestion would be the LS's 5 spoke 18's or 18's from the later GS's 350's that are compatible with the LS caliper requirements. The 19" GS 350 F Sport wheels also look nice.
Old 10-20-16, 10:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VividRacing
I have heard nightmare stories about people getting terrible fitment on wheels that they ordered. As long as you are ordering from a reputable place that knows wheel fitment (like i do) you would never have this issue.
keep seeing a warning pop up about > = 42mm offset recommended, and none of the 18's have that!! The 17's I got for snows, have a 45mm offset.....

(again, my secret dream is to have a car with 315's on the rears, and at least 11" wide rims as well....might not ever happen, we'll see!)

Quick Reply: Suggestions for 17" wheels to modernize my 04???