LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sports (tires)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 12:58 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Sports (tires)

An LS isn't a boy racer car but we drive Sports for a reason. I'm interested in feedback on tires that are a good "luxury sports" choice. Right now I'm running new Premiers on 17's that I had sitting around. Noticeably better handling but still near Base level comfort and lack of noise. Feel the bumps a little more. Freeway noise pretty much the same but feels like I am actually driving a car. Comfortable and balanced at 85. Nice combo of luxury and drivability.

By comparison, my 01 Base totally insulated me from the road. One finger lightly balanced on the steering wheel to control a 2 ton car at 75 mph. Tomb like quiet. Unique level of comfort. Also a nice drive for very different reasons.

Ok there's the Premiers choice. Another brand/model that comes up are Pirelli P7's. Anyone running these on 18's? Noise?
Comfort? Handling? I've never driven a 7 series but am curious how a Sports w/ something like Pilots on 18's would compare.
Old 10-16-16, 02:14 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Look into Continental tires for highway driving. And 18' = 8 feet, 18" = 18 inches. Knit picking....
Old 10-16-16, 02:57 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Knit picking
LOL, please tell me you did that on purpose!!

OP, what's a Premier? Is that a brand or a model?
Old 10-16-16, 03:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Among summer rubber, the Yokohama S-Drive and Continental DW have been pretty nice. Comfortable, quiet and they have very good traction. That is spoken in the context of summer tires.
The "Premier" I believe is a Michelin A/S touring type.
Old 10-17-16, 05:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I've got a no name brand W rated tire since the selling dealer replaced them all, and they are brand new. My wife said please, can't you just use them, you've already bought snow tires (the tires are made in China, I was considering tossing them altogether and getting new, likely Conti DWS). But as I drive the car, I don't feel it handles all that well, meaning I'm not going to push it through the twisties, and the tires it has are not noisy, nor do the sidewalls roll over. They are actually sold on amazon.com

Again, if I could do it, I'd get either those DWS and have AAA mount/balance, or just go to Costco and likely get some sort of a/s Pilot....

I no longer see the correct size on amazon, but they were like $90 each

https://www.amazon.com/Rydanz-ROADSTER-Performance-Radial-Tire/dp/B015J38DVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476707760&sr=8-1&keywords=rydanz+roadster+r02

Tires is something I don't skimp on, but it doesn't seem to make sense to toss the tires that are on the car...

p.s. one Lexus dealer showed me the internal work order on a 430 they were selling, and it stated 4 new tires @ $2xx.xx each. When I saw the car in person, they were also cheap no name brand tires--maybe because these are 10+ y.o. used cars that are being sold on the used lot?
Old 10-17-16, 08:00 AM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don’t think there’s a “right” answer to this question. Information and trust are the key factors.

These no-name tires might be carefully engineered and manufactured, with quality materials, and sold at a great price because the company doesn’t spend its money on Formula 1 teams and TV ads. They might serve you and your family safely and reliably for a satisfactory length of time.

They might be complete crap. Or most likely somewhere in between.

No trusted organization (like Consumer Reports, or Tire Rack, or whoever you trust) has performed objective testing on these tires, as far as we know. You have a shortage of information. This company has no reputation to uphold, and reputation is some sort of information.

But what is a trusted reputation worth, anyway? We might once have believed that the world’s largest bank would never pressure its employees to fraudulently open customer accounts. We might once have believed that the world’s largest manufacturer of cell phones wouldn’t sell us phones that catch on fire. We might once have believed that Lexus would not equip its cars with air suspensions that fail prematurely and sell replacement parts for $1000 each.

So just because we believe Michelin (or insert your favorite tire brand here) makes the best tires, some people may have good reason to strongly disagree. And even among our trusted brands, objective testing may give surprising results.

If you were tire-shopping, you wouldn’t have bought these tires. You only have them because someone installed them on a ~$15K used car you bought, a car that was designed to be one of the finest cars on the market. Now that you own them, you wonder if they’re worth a gamble, and your wife, like mine, doesn’t appreciate how concerned you are about making the right choice for your family. Is changing them a waste of money? Is keeping them putting you at risk in the event of an extreme (or normal!) situation? We wonder about these things, and we worry, and we have to decide based on our best evaluation of incomplete and imperfect information. And our wives think we just like screwing around on a bunch of car websites.

I’d tell my wife that I paid less for the car than I would have if it had a familiar premium brand tire because I knew I’d be replacing them immediately. (That would be true) And then I’d replace them. Because I care.

Kevin

​​​​​​​
Old 10-17-16, 08:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vfr700f2
I don’t think there’s a “right” answer to this question. Information and trust are the key factors.

These no-name tires might be carefully engineered and manufactured, with quality materials, and sold at a great price because the company doesn’t spend its money on Formula 1 teams and TV ads. They might serve you and your family safely and reliably for a satisfactory length of time.

No trusted organization (like Consumer Reports, or Tire Rack, or whoever you trust) has performed objective testing on these tires, as far as we know. You have a shortage of information. This company has no reputation to uphold, and reputation is some sort of information.

But what is a trusted reputation worth, anyway? We might once have believed that the world’s largest bank would never pressure its employees to fraudulently open customer accounts. We might once have believed that the world’s largest manufacturer of cell phones wouldn’t sell us phones that catch on fire. We might once have believed that Lexus would not equip its cars with air suspensions that fail prematurely and sell replacement parts for $1000 each.

So just because we believe Michelin (or insert your favorite tire brand here) makes the best tires, some people may have good reason to strongly disagree. And even among our trusted brands, objective testing may give surprising results.

If you were tire-shopping, you wouldn’t have bought these tires. You only have them because someone installed them on a ~$15K used car you bought, a car that was designed to be one of the finest cars on the market. Now that you own them, you wonder if they’re worth a gamble, and your wife, like mine, doesn’t appreciate how concerned you are about making the right choice for your family. Is changing them a waste of money? Is keeping them putting you at risk in the event of an extreme (or normal!) situation? We wonder about these things, and we worry, and we have to decide based on our best evaluation of incomplete and imperfect information. And our wives think we just like screwing around on a bunch of car websites.

I’d tell my wife that I paid less for the car than I would have if it had a familiar premium brand tire because I knew I’d be replacing them immediately. (That would be true) And then I’d replace them. Because I care.

Kevin

​​​​​​​
I do agree with everything you've said, but I still think it's fiscally responsible to drive with these tires (Rydanz). Let's see how they fare after 5k, 10k, etc. So far I have over 1,000 miles, no issues. I do know, there was a C&D tire test in which this co. Nankang ripped off Michelin's tread pattern, and, yes, not only did the Michelins in the wet, outperform the Nankangs in the dry, the Nankangs had no stiffness to the sidewalls. Were they unsafe? Who knows....

But again, a Lexus dealership whose internal work order shows 4 tires replaced, alignment, shocks, oil change, blah blah blah, they too also put some no name brand on. I'm going to keep driving with them for now--although I might just visit a tire shop who sells them. They seem to be for sale in the NYC area....

http://www.mavistire.com/tire-brands/Rydanz/?model=Roadster+RD02\

apparently they are sold in more than the NYC area, $94 each

http://www.mavistire.com/tire-brands...id=47050&frb=B

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-17-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-18-16, 12:05 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

U get what ya pay for in tires and most everything else. That said ya just want tires for transportation get cheap tires and hope for the best. I put on 30 k miles a year and value the driving "experience". I do not like buyers remorse after 40-50 k miles on a tire when my LS is now a bit tired and I get into a premium tire and regret what I missed in handling, ride and quiet by driving a cheap unknown poorly rated tire. I have Scorpions on my Touareg, P7's on my LS and some Scorpion A/S plus on my Highlander. I had the LX20 Conti's on my highlander and ditched em, I like the Pirellis more. the Conti LXCross Contacts on my first Touareg lasted 22k miles.
Pirellis aren't as expensive as Michelins and I like em a lot. Would I like Michelin more maybe any other tire just is not worth the risk.

Now having said that the LX20 eco's on my Highlander I did not like as well at all as the Scorpion plus's and they where rated neck and neck Contis better by a nose on TR. Get the highest Speed rated tires V's are fine if ya can.
Old 10-19-16, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by warminwisc
U get what ya pay for in tires and most everything else. That said ya just want tires for transportation get cheap tires and hope for the best. I put on 30 k miles a year and value the driving "experience". I do not like buyers remorse after 40-50 k miles on a tire when my LS is now a bit tired and I get into a premium tire and regret what I missed in handling, ride and quiet by driving a cheap unknown poorly rated tire. I have Scorpions on my Touareg, P7's on my LS and some Scorpion A/S plus on my Highlander. I had the LX20 Conti's on my highlander and ditched em, I like the Pirellis more. the Conti LXCross Contacts on my first Touareg lasted 22k miles.
Pirellis aren't as expensive as Michelins and I like em a lot. Would I like Michelin more maybe any other tire just is not worth the risk.

Now having said that the LX20 eco's on my Highlander I did not like as well at all as the Scorpion plus's and they where rated neck and neck Contis better by a nose on TR. Get the highest Speed rated tires V's are fine if ya can.
For the most part yes.....I put Pilot Super Sports on my 335i....does it really need that much grip? The tires come on many Ferraris.....559, F12, 448, 488, on and on. I justified it because non runflat PSSs are cheaper than the OEM RE050A runflats. But is a Hankook Ventus V12 not good enough? C&D begs to differ.

Should the SP Sport 5000's be the benchmark? If so, then that opens us up to Conti DWS 06's and Pirellis--I would lean towards the Contis, but would wait for more data on the P Zero a/s with the new compound (oddly the tread design reminds me of my Kumhos on the Maxima, or the Michelin Latitudes).

As for now, Rydanz baby! (they've got to be at 11/32)

edit: I would always check Costco though, and if they sell the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ I would likely accept the comments of the harsh ride, how harsh can it actually be when I drive a sport packaged 335i with Pilot Super Sports anyway....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-19-16 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 09:14 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
An LS isn't a boy racer car but we drive Sports for a reason. I'm interested in feedback on tires that are a good "luxury sports" choice. Right now I'm running new Premiers on 17's that I had sitting around. Noticeably better handling but still near Base level comfort and lack of noise. Feel the bumps a little more. Freeway noise pretty much the same but feels like I am actually driving a car. Comfortable and balanced at 85. Nice combo of luxury and drivability.

By comparison, my 01 Base totally insulated me from the road. One finger lightly balanced on the steering wheel to control a 2 ton car at 75 mph. Tomb like quiet. Unique level of comfort. Also a nice drive for very different reasons.

Ok there's the Premiers choice. Another brand/model that comes up are Pirelli P7's. Anyone running these on 18's? Noise?
Comfort? Handling? I've never driven a 7 series but am curious how a Sports w/ something like Pilots on 18's would compare.
I have Michelin Premier A/S 245/45/R18- have put about 40k on these and likely have another 20k or so left. Have been very pleased. I should note I bought my car with the stock 17" rims and left those on for about 15k miles and then switched to the 18" 5 star rims (for the last 160k miles). This is my 3rd set of Michelin's on the 18's and I tend to get around 60k miles out of them and have been very pleased with the ride, noise level, and "performance" (a relative term with this car). I live in FL where we get insane thunderstorms in the summer and these tires have done very well in rain at highway speeds.

On another note, I have a new-to-me "fun" car (Audi S5) that I just put Continental Extreme Contact DW's on 3 days ago (switching from worn-out Michelin's that were on the car when I bought it). Those are 235/35/ZR19. I don't know if it's an indication of how worn-out the Michelins were (tech told me I had about 5k left, but I had a nail that couldn't be patched so I chose to replace sooner), but I drove the car on the interstate last night and it was like driving a completely different vehicle. Nice and quiet and did very well as I tested the car around some turns at high speed. Noise level was very reasonable even as I pushed the speed to just under 100mph. I bought those tires on Tire Rack for $150/each plus $75 shipping. Feels like an absolute steal- my first experience with Continental but pretty impressed so far.
Old 10-21-16, 10:01 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by vfr700f2

Kevin
I'd replace. It's not worth the gamble. Kevin, based on the BMW ownership, think you'll enjoy an 04-06 Sports (w/ the right tires).
Old 10-21-16, 10:48 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Selecting a brand is one thing but there within there are many choices. Choose for your car and driving style. As far as I am concerned our lives depend on tires.
I never even bother looking at no name tires, mostly made in China, Oh, No! One thing I don't like is RFT. More expensive, more troublesome.
Old 10-21-16, 11:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Selecting a brand is one thing but there within there are many choices. Choose for your car and driving style. As far as I am concerned our lives depend on tires.
I never even bother looking at no name tires, mostly made in China, Oh, No! One thing I don't like is RFT. More expensive, more troublesome.
I totally agree....the X Ice Xi3's will be on next month, until Spring. I'll think some more, but likely will not toss brand new tires. I would never seek out no name brands, but it's pretty obvious that even new car dealers do, for margin's sake....