LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

discovered telescope wheel not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 03:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default discovered telescope wheel not working

I thought it was working on the test drive, it makes some sort of not really grunt but beep when it tries.....I actually prefer the wheel as far away and low as possible, so I guess it's ok? The tilt seems to be fine, although when I forced it, it temporarily stopped. Part of me wonders if I should disable the tilt? But I kinda like it going up when exiting, feels like a luxury feature lol

I thoroughly tested the mirror control, and the "up" arrow has intermittent issues. But, since I have my memory set, that should be ok.

Loaded up the 6 cd changer--that seems so archaic, but seriously, the sound is a lot better than FM stereo....my buddy said the car is a time capsule to 2006!
Old 10-09-16, 04:19 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I thought it was working on the test drive, it makes some sort of not really grunt but beep when it tries.....I actually prefer the wheel as far away and low as possible, so I guess it's ok? The tilt seems to be fine, although when I forced it, it temporarily stopped. Part of me wonders if I should disable the tilt? But I kinda like it going up when exiting, feels like a luxury feature lol

I thoroughly tested the mirror control, and the "up" arrow has intermittent issues. But, since I have my memory set, that should be ok.

Loaded up the 6 cd changer--that seems so archaic, but seriously, the sound is a lot better than FM stereo....my buddy said the car is a time capsule to 2006!
Intermittent on the mirror may be the dashboard switch. Easy fix. I haven't done it but understand it's pry off the switch cover plate and clean the contacts.
Old 10-10-16, 09:51 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, carefully remove the cover and clean them contacts up real good like.

Should work wonderfully afterwards. Mine did anyway...
Old 10-10-16, 10:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Gotcha, thx on the mirrors. I would advise anyone to have a memory setting with the proper adjustments, just in case. I'm thinking about pulling the #1 fuse on the tilt and telescope thing.....

edit: I decided to take out the #1 fuse, with the wheel in the proper driving position....it has never not responded to the button as far as tilting, but for whatever reason, it would sometimes not go to the correct position when the ignition turns on--rather not get into a situation where the wheel can't be put back to the driving position. Again, nice to have it auto tilt out of the way, but all of our other 3 cars have tilt/telescope, and manually operated. And we never use it at all....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-11-16 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-11-16, 12:23 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

T&T is cute but the possible repair costs aren't worth it. On my 01, both worked fine. Had the shop disable T&T (using software). Can still manually adjust tilt but now telescope doesn't work. Is this normal?
Old 10-11-16, 12:35 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
T&T is cute but the possible repair costs aren't worth it. On my 01, both worked fine. Had the shop disable T&T (using software). Can still manually adjust tilt but now telescope doesn't work. Is this normal?
Sounds like your failure is the same as mine, but the outcome is different....by my removing the fuse, there is no electric to both the tilt and telescope motors, i.e. button does not work at all, and the feature doesn't work since there is no fuse.

In your case, the automatic retraction was disabled, but you still have power, so you are similar to I was, i.e. tilt seems to work, telescope does not. So it's not normal, I think your telescope motor has failed. Mine made a tiny peep sound when you try to use it, so something is happening, just that the motor cannot do its job. one time I forced it so it did come out. But I like to drive with it all the way in, so I did not want to fool around too much....and prefer to leave it all the way down, and all the way in (how I like it)....
Old 10-12-16, 03:28 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The motors are a known weak spot in these cars. If its acting up the motors are usually on their last legs if not dead completely. Youll hear small chirps of the motor trying but nothing happens. I did my tilt motor when it died. Now have to do the telescopic. I like everything to work as it came from the factory.
Old 10-12-16, 03:30 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are having issues with the up and down setting on both mirrors it could be the switch. In my case it was only the driver mirror and the mirror had to be replaced.
Old 10-12-16, 04:08 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Gotcha the telescope has a chirp...I would like it to work...but I tell myself we never use it on our other cars, on which tilt telescope is manual..haven't put my finger on it, seems even with memory doesn't always go back...