LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What is our Demographic now that these cars are aging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 03:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Just turned 60. Married, multiple cars. Bought my 2001 Base 3.5 years ago. It had 89k miles and a good service history. Perfect exterior/interior. Paid 11,500 and have enjoyed every mile. These cars are just so well done. An older one is a bargain and I've been able to put more money into investments. I've owned many cars and have done lots of wrenching. Bought an LS so I wouldn't have to do repairs. It's worked out very well. Just bought an 04 Sports, ML, 18's Cypress Pearl, one owner full dealer service. 103k. Runs perfectly. Other than the blown ML speakers, needs nothing. Bought it from an Infiniti dealer for 13. I drove a 460L. Yeah it looks nicer but build and ride quality don't compare. We'll buy other cars but plan to keep my 04 for many years.
sport is indicated by a rectangular badge on the fenders, right? I did not come across any in my search....

i really love our attitudes by which we have either purchased or have a 10+ yo car, and plan on driving indefinitely....this is so contrary to the, "everybody leases now. Only fools buy," mentality. My brother's coworker said that, a managing director who likely earns close to a million per year. So he replied (2 yrs ago), "My brother has a 1998 Maxima which he bought new and drives daily, so he should have leased instead?" And the guy backpedaled.
Old 10-09-16, 12:26 PM
LinuxLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a 19 (soon to be 20) year old IT professional. I've been working full time in IT since I was 16. I fell in love with the car after seeing it on the BBC show Spooks (or MI-5 as it was peddled here in the US). I wanted a reliable car that was comfortable for all passengers, relatively quick, unusual, and attractive but subtle on the outside. Some cars are fun to modify, but I want to keep this as stock as possible, with the exception of adding Bluetooth audio to the car.

I bought a 2002 Ultra Luxury with 105,000 miles on it. The interior is nearly spotless, but the exterior is a bit rough (door rust, bumper scrapes, some poorly done bondo in the read bumper). I'm considering doing something potentially stupid and having body work done on it and getting it entirely repainted. I'm currently waiting on the used air bags I bought to come in so I can fix the rear suspension, as I bought it undrivable. Maybe I should just sell this one and get one in better exterior shape... I paid $8k including taxes for it.
Old 10-09-16, 02:41 PM
oball2400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm now 66. I bought my 2002 in 2003 when it had 22,000 miles for $50,000. Today it has 73,000 miles. I guess it's worth $5,000-$7,000. Just use it really to drive it back and forth to work-3 1/2 miles each way, with an occasional drive outside the city. When my wife and I drive somewhere we use her 2016 RX-. Since I've had my 2002, she has had an RX-2001, 2010 and now the 2016. I've slightly banged it up 2X-once not my fault and once my fault while looking at my cell phone! Damage both times to the front end and right front fender. When I had the first accident-not my fault, I was prepared to get rid of it as my only other experience with damage to a car was in 1970 and I thought that the car would come back from the shop in 2 or 3 different colors and paint falling off shortly thereafter. The repair and paint was unbelievable! I know that this is foolish and costly but I've had every service done at the dealer-which really means about each December I take it to the dealer to get the oil changed and "fix" whatever happens to be bothering me-this time it will be the steering wheel lub-its squeaking. I've even had had the timing belt replaced. The service advisor always goes on and on about how nice my car is and how well-taken-care-of it is-absolutely every thing works and the appearance inside and out is terrific. I thought about getting a 2016, but it just doesn't make sense to do that. I love the tech stuff that the new cars have-I drove the 2017 350 Mercedes, just as soon as it came out and was thinking I would buy it because of the tech stuff; but what a disappointment! Very cheap looking interior and much smaller inside and out compared to my LS. No comparison for me! I have my wife's RX if I need a tech fix. Someday, someone will be very happy if I decide to sell this one!

Last edited by oball2400; 10-09-16 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 03:14 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by oball2400
I'm now 66. I bought my 2002 in 2004 when it had 22,000 miles for $50,000. Today it has 73,000 miles. I guess it's worth $5,000-$7,000. Just use it really to drive it back and forth to work-3 1/2 miles each way, with an occasional drive outside the city. When my wife and I drive somewhere we use her 2016 RX-. Since I've had my 2002, she has had an RX-2001, 2010 and now the 2016. I've slightly banged it up 2X-once not my fault and once my fault while looking at my cell phone! Damage both times to the front end and right front fender. When I had the first accident-not my fault, I was prepared to get rid of it as my only other experience with damage to a car was in 1970 and I thought that the car would come back from the shop in 2 or 3 different colors and paint falling off shortly thereafter. The repair and paint was unbelievable! I know that this is foolish and costly but I've had every service done at the dealer-which really means about each December I take it to the dealer to get the oil changed and "fix" whatever happens to be bothering me-this time it will be the steering wheel lub-its squeaking. I've even had had the timing belt replaced. The service advisor always goes on and on about how nice my car is and how well-taken-care-of it is-absolutely every thing works and the appearance inside and out is terrific. I thought about getting a 2016, but it just doesn't make sense to do that. I love the tech stuff that the new cars have, but have my wife's RX if I need a fix. Someday, someone will be very happy if I decide to sell this one!
Your wife always gets the newer cars? I buy the cars for us but it alternates. We bought the Honda Pilot. I bought myself an LS430. She found a newer ES330 sitting on the front lawn (birthday present). I just bought another LS so it's her turn.....
Old 10-09-16, 03:53 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
sport is indicated by a rectangular badge on the fenders, right? I did not come across any in my search....

i really love our attitudes by which we have either purchased or have a 10+ yo car, and plan on driving indefinitely....this is so contrary to the, "everybody leases now. Only fools buy," mentality. My brother's coworker said that, a managing director who likely earns close to a million per year. So he replied (2 yrs ago), "My brother has a 1998 Maxima which he bought new and drives daily, so he should have leased instead?" And the guy backpedaled.
Yes Sports has the badge. Hard to find. Wasn't on my bucket list but it does make the car more stable. Less body roll, more precise steering. Def prefer it to my 01 base at higher speeds (100+). Currently my Sport has 17's w/ soft Michelin Premiers (at 34). There's not much difference in overall comfort but it still handles better than a base. The bumps are a little more noticeable. Smooth freeway noise level is still "tomb quiet" (there has to be a better choice of words). The car came with 18's and ancient Michelins. Ride was harsh. Road noise was terrible. Game plan is to find tires that are a good blend of comfort/performance and try the 18's again. Suggests appreciated .
Old 10-09-16, 04:15 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

I plan to drive my LS for a long time. I own older cars so I can invest in real estate, stocks and mutual funds. I bought my first LS 3 years ago. Since then, I've driven several very nice (expensive) possible purchases. So far, the LS is the best car I've ever owned (out of 30 cars including vintage high perf, economy, older luxury, early Lex, 4WD, etc).
Old 10-09-16, 08:21 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Yes Sports has the badge. Hard to find. Wasn't on my bucket list but it does make the car more stable. Less body roll, more precise steering. Def prefer it to my 01 base at higher speeds (100+). Currently my Sport has 17's w/ soft Michelin Premiers (at 34). There's not much difference in overall comfort but it still handles better than a base. The bumps are a little more noticeable. Smooth freeway noise level is still "tomb quiet" (there has to be a better choice of words). The car came with 18's and ancient Michelins. Ride was harsh. Road noise was terrible. Game plan is to find tires that are a good blend of comfort/performance and try the 18's again. Suggests appreciated .
tallca, may I suggest trying the Pirelli P7 Plus in the 245/45 18" wheels. I was so unhappy with Michelin Pilot Sport and Michelin Premier (LTX) in the 18" size that I was seriously contemplating downsizing to 17s or even 16s. Heck, the tires were beginning to create a love/hate relationship for me with the LS430. Fortunately, I tried the Pirelli P7+ and now love the LS again. The ride is quiet and bumps are well dampened. I haven't been able to drive in the rain much but we have 4 days of rain forecasted next weekend. On dry pavement I feel the Pirellis grip every bit as good as even the Michelin Pilots but with a much quieter and more comfortable ride. With the Pirellis I no longer think about downsizing wheel size. If you're happy with the Premiers at 17" then perhaps try them at 18" and utilize the tire store's 30-day satisfaction guarantee. I don't have personal experience with the Premier A/S but I'm very happy with the P7+.
Old 10-09-16, 08:43 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

sport suspension comes with 18 inch wheels. ? maybe a hybrid
Old 10-10-16, 02:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
tallca, may I suggest trying the Pirelli P7 Plus in the 245/45 18" wheels. I was so unhappy with Michelin Pilot Sport and Michelin Premier (LTX) in the 18" size that I was seriously contemplating downsizing to 17s or even 16s. Heck, the tires were beginning to create a love/hate relationship for me with the LS430. Fortunately, I tried the Pirelli P7+ and now love the LS again. The ride is quiet and bumps are well dampened. I haven't been able to drive in the rain much but we have 4 days of rain forecasted next weekend. On dry pavement I feel the Pirellis grip every bit as good as even the Michelin Pilots but with a much quieter and more comfortable ride. With the Pirellis I no longer think about downsizing wheel size. If you're happy with the Premiers at 17" then perhaps try them at 18" and utilize the tire store's 30-day satisfaction guarantee. I don't have personal experience with the Premier A/S but I'm very happy with the P7+.
​​​​​​​i have Pilot Super Sports on my BMW and they are the best tire ever made (they came standard on Ferrari 559's), and my wife has Premier LTX on her SUV, also excellent. I would think a LS needs some performance, which is not at all inherent in a LTX.....I'd likely go Contis....
Old 10-10-16, 06:59 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

i have Pilot Super Sports on my BMW and they are the best tire ever made (they came standard on Ferrari 559's), and my wife has Premier LTX on her SUV, also excellent. I would think a LS needs some performance, which is not at all inherent in a LTX.....I'd likely go Contis....
Truly glad you're having a good experience with the Pilots, John. The Pilot Super Sport A/S 3+ were too noisy and stiff for my tastes. It is the first tire I have ever complained about after 20 years with Michelin. The roads around our area are less than ideal and I switched to the Premier LTX because it offered the promise of more sidewall in the 235/50/18 size. The Premier LTX rode better than the Pilots, if not a little bouncy. Out of the three (Pilot, Premier LTX, Pirelli P7+), I find the Pilots looked the best and gave the LS a sporty/aggressive stance and the sidewalls showed a deeper, blacker shine. However, the P7+ is a better blend of performance and comfort for me and provides the ride quality I expected from the LS.
Old 10-10-16, 07:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Truly glad you're having a good experience with the Pilots, John. The Pilot Super Sport A/S 3+ were too noisy and stiff for my tastes. It is the first tire I have ever complained about after 20 years with Michelin. The roads around our area are less than ideal and I switched to the Premier LTX because it offered the promise of more sidewall in the 235/50/18 size. The Premier LTX rode better than the Pilots, if not a little bouncy. Out of the three (Pilot, Premier LTX, Pirelli P7+), I find the Pilots looked the best and gave the LS a sporty/aggressive stance and the sidewalls showed a deeper, blacker shine. However, the P7+ is a better blend of performance and comfort for me and provides the ride quality I expected from the LS.
Cool FT1....the thing about the BMW is it came with Bridgestone runflats, very stiff....most on the forum switched to Pilot Super Sports, which are cheaper than the OEMs. Just not runflats. The issue, though, is wear...some have destroyed them in 10k, others report 30k and rears shot (staggered so cannot rotate)....oddly, if one puts LS430 into the Costco website, it will return Pilot Super Sports. I think this is too much tire for the LS, i.e. don't need that stickiness. Note, these are not the A/S tires....

I do wish my car had the sport suspension, just because lol I have 4 brand new tires (A/S 245/45-18's) that the dealer put on, but they are cheapos. They are sold on amazon for about $90, made in China. My wife said can you please just use them, you already spent almost a thousand on snow tires/rims....she's talking sense.....
Old 10-10-16, 08:30 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Less than ideal is accurate
Old 10-10-16, 09:59 AM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 35 and purchased my 06 last summer. I've been dreaming of owning one for ten years but was never able to afford one until now. I had dreams of doing a VIP style build, but it drives so good stock that i've kept it stock this entire time.
Old 10-12-16, 10:04 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Regardless of age demographic, a common theme running through many of the posts here is a personal stated “justification” for owning and driving the 3rd Gen LS. There should be no shame or any perceived need for such justifications.

Background: Alan Mulally is the former President & CEO of Ford Motor Company, and former EVP of Boeing Co. and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. He is an engineer by training, was Senior Vice President of Boeing’s Airplane Development, and is credited with engineering and development of the Boeing 727, 737, 747, 757 767 and 777 airplanes.

Fact: In the fall of 2008, Mr. Mulally was observed still driving his personally-owned 2001-03 LS430* Lexus flagship, over 2 years after he had been brought in as CEO at Ford Motor Company to help turn around that company! And a LS that, at the time was 6 – 8 years old! He was quoted once as saying that after studying all of the cars on the market, he found the LS430 was the finest built car in the world. This from a wealthy and prominent engineer and American icon who engineered the design and manufacture of the famous Boeing line of modern-day airplanes.

This is the highest endorsement and ultimate validation that the LS430 is truly a magnificent automobile – regardless of age, gender, financial, education and occupation demographics.

*It is not known the exact year of LS430, but the body style of his LS shown in pics was the ’01 – ’03.

Last edited by Tom57; 10-12-16 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 10:46 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully now that these cars are getting less expensive, it will bring in some younger guys that want to modify them. This forum is among the most boring on the net. Every other post is about whats the best oil or gas mileage etc or asking the same questions that have been beat to death.

Quick Reply: What is our Demographic now that these cars are aging?