LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What is our Demographic now that these cars are aging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 05:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is what I find interesting.....these cars are Toyota products, that's a good thing. Then, you add in overengineering, and overbuilding.

Now, you see cars that listed at 62k, selling for 15k in very good shape.

German cars suffer a greater decline, you may see a beautiful Audi A8L for 11k. Beautiful. Until you try to repair stuff that you cannot DIY. I have a 2007 BMW which I purchased new, and knock on wood, I have not had a major repair charge yet. I bought an extended warranty and got burned. It had a ABS brake failure this Jan., which is common, and a $4,200 repair at the dealership. Thank goodness, I watched a 28 min. YouTube and fixed it myself--can be done for about $300, but I needed to buy some software and tools taking my cost to almost $500.

What I was seeking was a replacement for my 1998 Maxima, it went over 18 years, 12 without any issues (exhaust was the first, corrosion). I may have found it in this 2006 LS430, and then some. I have every intention of being here 10 yrs from now and reporting on it. When I hear about factory workers in Tahara measuring the hood to fender gap to make sure it's acceptable, I just smile....
Old 10-08-16, 07:54 AM
Salsaman06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
I'm 21 and just bought mine in late August. In LOVE.
06 LS430 UL 36,500 on the odometer now. Keeping it stock.
Aha, I think you are the one that bought that low mi. UL that was advertised on the web for like 2 or 3 days. At a Lexus dealer? Listed for around 23K?
Old 10-08-16, 08:01 AM
Salsaman06
Driver School Candidate

I was 41 when I bought my 2003 Ultra Luxury. Brand new - only 5 mi on the odo. (IT professional, no family, no spouse) What a fantastic car it was. I was in love like many stated here before. I sold it just a few short years later with 21K miles on it. I took another job with less pay and didnt' want the car payment. I have regretted it ever since. I've had dreams about that car ever since. I am 53 now and in the market for a low mileage '06 UL. (Really don't like the LS460 style - at all)
Old 10-08-16, 09:08 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 5t341th
I am 28 and I just purchased my second LS430. Both are UL models. I am a AT&T technician and needed a nice "high end" car to relax in. I do plan to modify it with aftermarket airbags and wheels. But aside from that, I drive like a grandpa
5t341th, why did you go from an '05 UL to '06? Was there any tangible change between those two model years?
Old 10-08-16, 12:42 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm 37, have a 2004 LS that I stole in May 2008 with 70k miles for $22k from a Lexus dealership in FL. My car now has 240k miles. Spent the last 6 months thinking I wanted a '10-'12 LS, but when I drove them I just felt they were too similar to my '04 on the inside so it didn't feel like a huge "upgrade." Waiting for the '13 to drop down to the low/mid $30k range (likely have to wait for the '18 body style for that to happen) and then I'll move to the '13. Scratched my itch for wanting something different to drive by buying a cream puff 2010 S5 (V8, 6 speed manual) and kept my LS430 as well. Will sell both and put towards the price of a '13 LS in about a year. Win/win.
Old 10-08-16, 12:51 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm 37, have a 2004 LS that I stole in May 2008 with 70k miles for $22k from a Lexus dealership in FL. My car now has 240k miles. Spent the last 6 months thinking I wanted a '10-'12 LS, but when I drove them I just felt they were too similar to my '04 on the inside so it didn't feel like a huge "upgrade." Waiting for the '13 to drop down to the low/mid $30k range (likely have to wait for the '18 body style for that to happen) and then I'll move to the '13. Scratched my itch for wanting something different to drive by buying a cream puff 2010 S5 (V8, 6 speed manual) and kept my LS430 as well. Will sell both and put towards the price of a '13 LS in about a year. Win/win.
Oh yeah babe, you got it at 70k, now has 240k.... This is what I am looking for.....got mine with 80k for under $15k a week ago, want to drive it indefinitely. Again, I benchmark the LS against my 1998 Maxima. A 2006 LS430 should clearly be superior, it's newer technology and higher end....my Maxima made it 18 1/2 yrs. and 244k....corrosion imho did it in...the LS was a FLA car for 8 yrs.!
Old 10-08-16, 01:21 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Originally Posted by Salsaman06
Aha, I think you are the one that bought that low mi. UL that was advertised on the web for like 2 or 3 days. At a Lexus dealer? Listed for around 23K?
Yup that was me
Old 10-08-16, 02:18 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

55 yrs old, drive like a grandpa I suppose, total DIYer, have never taken any car to any dealer for anything. I enjoy the challenge of learning all about the LS and maintaining it to perfection. I've been fortunate in life, saved and invested well and could afford pretty much anything, but why sink money into a depreciating asset? So I looked around and see no better value for driving pleasure, comfort, reliability, and ease of maintenance than the LS. Plus, I got a thing for Japanese quality, having lived there for several years. No plans to mod.....
Old 10-08-16, 02:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

This thread is interesting and thought provoking.

I'm thinking I may NOT get rid of my 430, even when the '14-15 460s come down to 30k or so, as long as she keeps running in tip-top shape. I see all these members with 250-350k, etc. Mine is still relatively fresh with only 129k. I'll finally have to bite the bullet and fix my driver door lock actuator, but other than that there is literally NOTHING wrong with the car. Still runs like new, literally. You can tell it's an old car now but the way it runs and drives it's almost impossible to believe it's 12 years old.

I've got Michelens with 75% tread, literally all brand new brake components (rotors, pads), fresh transmission fluid just swapped, replaced TB/WP with only 20k miles put on, new spark plugs, etc. In short, the car is good to go for at least another 60-75k miles before I need to think about servicing her again, and I only put 11-12k miles a year on the car TOPS.

I only have a few payments left on the car and just can't wait to bask in the glory of no car note, but further, we are looking to buy our first home in 6 months.

What, with mortgages (even with low rates) completely gypping you over 30 years, I'm trying to save as much in interest as possible. (For example, if you take out a $250,000 loan you'll pay around 425k total---sheesh.)

Thinking I may pay down our future mortgage early with the money I'd normally put towards a car note. I'm not a skilled finance guy but I do know even a few hundred a month extra paid down on the principle will save you *****-TONS of interest and time on the mortgage.

As I get older (I'm 34 now), my main thoughts are second homes and seven figure bank accounts in 30 years rather than driving flashy cars. Don't get me wrong I'll always own a fine automobile, though. But these 430s just keep going and going..and going. There is zero logical reason for me to get rid of her.

I may drive this car until 400k, who knows!

Last edited by AJT123; 10-08-16 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-08-16, 02:56 PM
Salsaman06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
Yup that was me
Curse you. Just kidding. congrats on that. you have to post some pics of that beauty.
Old 10-08-16, 04:41 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Oh yeah babe, you got it at 70k, now has 240k.... This is what I am looking for.....got mine with 80k for under $15k a week ago, want to drive it indefinitely. Again, I benchmark the LS against my 1998 Maxima. A 2006 LS430 should clearly be superior, it's newer technology and higher end....my Maxima made it 18 1/2 yrs. and 244k....corrosion imho did it in...the LS was a FLA car for 8 yrs.!
I have had no issues other than a bad passenger window motor and driver door lock actuator. All I have done is follow the suggested maintenance - religiously change the oil every 5k, do what Lexus recommends at 60k and 90k. Ironically I also had a 98 Maxima at one point (SE, 5 Speed)... no comparing the LS to that. Enjoy.
Old 10-08-16, 06:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Ironically I also had a 98 Maxima at one point (SE, 5 Speed)... no comparing the LS to that. Enjoy.
I have something in common with you two as well; I also had a 97 Maxima SE 5spd, all black, loaded out, Bose, etc. Got it in early 2000 with 48k miles. Don't get me wrong, it's a DISTANT second, but by far the Maxima has been my favorite car other than the LS430. Including the black '06 Acura TL 6speed I had, I liked the Maxima better. I've also owned several Infinitis. Not bad cars but not on same level as Lexus. It's easily apparent (to me at least ) that Toyota puts way more into Lexus than Nissan does Infiniti. My Acura was sweet, looked great but it had NO torque of which the Maxima had PLENTY. That original, 3.0L VQ motor with the manual was a screamer and beyond smooth. Maxima also had almost Lexus like interior, very high quality leather, and that damn Bose stereo was epic. Inside of that gen Maxima (a loaded one at least) was a very nice place to be.

I still have dreams of driving my old Maxima sometimes. Not really the Acura. Maybe I'm biased bc it was my second car and I had it when I was 18, and that gen Maxima was my dream car then when I was a teenager and I actually was able to attain one. The A/C compressor was weak and had to be replaced at about 85k and I had lots of clutch issues and one issue with the internal tranny bearings but that's just bc I drove the car so hard (like ridiculous I was 17-20 years old); otherwise, solid as a rock. Only reason I got rid of it is bc someone backed into it and I took the money and got an I35 which I regretted after about a month. Quality slipped from 4th to 5th gen Maxima/I35. Otherwise I'd have driven that Maxima until the wheels fell off. Had a Stillen intake and cat-back exhaust...not my thing now (a loud, flashy, arrest-me-mobile) but damnnnn back then, what a sweet ride.

Last edited by AJT123; 10-08-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-08-16, 08:46 PM
LSR83
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 33, married with kids, and just bought this vehicle back in April of this year. I was looking for something that was full size, RWD, V8, leather interior, and reliable. My 2004 LS430 fit the bill perfectly. I've told other people before, it wasn't the fact it was a Lexus that attracted me to it, it was the quality of the car itself and its options. It could've been badged as a Toyota and I still would've bought it. As a matter of fact, it was the fact that it was manufactured by Toyota that interested me, because of their long term reliability and quality. My previous vehicle was a 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS with low miles. I was pleasantly surprised at the longevity and quality of that vehicle, so it made perfect sense to stay in the family of Toyota.
I've been a long time car enthusiast with many different vehicles that I've modded. Alternatively I don't plan on doing much to it:
  • BC Coilovers when the OEM suspension blows (but not planning on slamming it to the ground)
  • Sport rear sway bar upgrade
  • Full dual exhaust with an x-pipe and mufflers to make a subtle exhaust note that doesn't make it sound like a Camaro with flowmasters LOL!
  • White LED interior and exterior conversion
So far I've already done:
  • 15% tint on front windows
  • GS460 Wheels
  • K&N drop in filter
Old 10-09-16, 12:06 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Just turned 60. Married, multiple cars. Bought my 2001 Base 3.5 years ago. It had 89k miles and a good service history. Perfect exterior/interior. Paid 11,500 and have enjoyed every mile. These cars are just so well done. An older one is a bargain and I've been able to put more money into investments. I've owned many cars and have done lots of wrenching. Bought an LS so I wouldn't have to do repairs. It's worked out very well. Just bought an 04 Sports, ML, 18's Cypress Pearl, one owner full dealer service. 103k. Runs perfectly. Other than the blown ML speakers, needs nothing. Bought it from an Infiniti dealer for 13. I drove a 460L. Yeah it looks nicer but build and ride quality don't compare. We'll buy other cars but plan to keep my 04 for many years.
Old 10-09-16, 03:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Man with others getting > 1 LS, maybe I should seriously plan on grabbing another in the next 12-24 mos??! I wish the third gen were newer, meaning the last year was 2008 or something...although I've only had mine for 8 days, I feel like this was the sweet spot, when Lexus was going for perfection.....newer cars IMHO have suffered from serious cost cutting measures.

so what will the demographics be in 2 yrs....maybe 3-4 owner cars more the norm?

​​​​​​​ I had a 2016 BMW 328 loaner for a few months (airbag recall), and under the hood it is very cheaply constructed when compared to a 2007-08. this I cannot reconcile....with electric power steering, that 328 steering is significantly lighter than the 430, my wife's GM SUV, and my 98 Maxima, all of which are relatively light compared to my '07 BMW, which is perfectly weighted....

Quick Reply: What is our Demographic now that these cars are aging?