LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Opinions Re a 2006 LS

Old 09-09-16, 02:24 PM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Re a 2006 LS

I'm currently evaluating several older Lexus models (looking at the GX470 as well) - I've found a local 2006 LS with 99K/2 owners - see listing here

Any comments from the forum experts? Clouded headlights (need to be restored) - ? XM antenna on trunk lid. I'm not sure why the Carfax is not available.

(my ideal LS430 is a '06, one-owner, grey or black interior, non-nav, no air susp, with regular maintenance records)
Old 09-09-16, 04:41 PM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service history on this is probably the "tell" as to whether this is a decent price or not. The year model is desirable, as is the ML package. Miles are high for the price and I would most definitely want to know whether the timing belt and water pump were done. That's a good $1500 you can negotiate with them off the bat, if not.
Old 09-09-16, 05:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Have em do all the fluids make sure the tires are newer and decent, belt has been done, is then a fair price from a dealer imo.
Old 09-09-16, 06:06 PM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies -

The Carfax lists 3 owners and Autocheck lists 2 owners - both evaluations look entirely different

Carfax states the drive belts were replaced but does that include the timing belt/water pump?
Old 09-09-16, 06:52 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

For that price, I'd want a full service history. I just bought a Cypress Pearl 04 w/ Modern Luxury, leather upgrade. 102k miles, one owner, full dealer service history. ML amp replaced at 95k was a plus. Downside was worn tires and steering wheel doesn't telescope. Paid 13k
Old 09-10-16, 12:56 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

auto check is better I think. My car had a clean Carfax when I bought it, NO ACCIDENTS, but auto check shows an accident 3 and a half years before I bought it. If the Carfax is free then it is worth the price.
Old 09-10-16, 01:05 PM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drfranklin
Thanks for the replies -

The Carfax lists 3 owners and Autocheck lists 2 owners - both evaluations look entirely different

Carfax states the drive belts were replaced but does that include the timing belt/water pump?
I don't think timing belt is included in drive belt replacement. Timing belt and water pump are entirely different procedures (and more expensive).
Old 09-11-16, 07:15 AM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies - I recently came upon a '05, low miles (27K), one owner for sale - see here - price seems high plus it's a bit of a drive for me - but, I will be going to Destin, FL in the next 2 weeks and Dothan, AL is en route. Any opinions on this one for sale?
Old 09-11-16, 10:40 AM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

It looks like a base model...no UL package for sure. You may not care about the optional package and upgraded stereo system, but for the price it looks reasonable for the miles, just a bit more than I paid for my 05 UL with 28k.
Old 09-11-16, 11:09 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Sure the low miles are nice but you def pay a premium price! If the miles are so low, did it just sit? Sometimes driven short trips to the grocery store? Neither are particularly good for a car. Something w/ 80-90k (when many people sell because of the timing belt) is a lot less expensive. If it's been well maintained, still lots of life. Market price is 12-13.
Old 09-11-16, 02:00 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Go to the Lexus Drivers web site, register, and look up the service history for this car (I just did...). Maintained by "Jim Hudson Lexus, Columbia" and you will see all the work and events recorded.....

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Old 09-11-16, 03:54 PM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
Go to the Lexus Drivers web site, register, and look up the service history for this car (I just did...). Maintained by "Jim Hudson Lexus, Columbia" and you will see all the work and events recorded.....

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Duck, thank you...yes, I've been registered for months - however, within the past month, I haven't been able to log in (even with repeated password resets) - it just states, "Invalid User Credentials"
Old 09-11-16, 04:36 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

I registered w/ Lexus Drivers. It worked for awhile then got "invalid user credentials" when I tried to log on. I set up access w/ a different email. So far, it works. This site was great for checking service on my recent 04 purchase.
Old 09-11-16, 06:24 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The site appeared to have changed from a selected User ID to forcing the members to use a valid email account. Now, you have to use a valid email account password combo to log in now.... I have three cars listed and added the one for Franklin to see the history. I already deleted it from my list......
Old 09-15-16, 06:57 AM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all the replies - to update from my first post: I'm still interested in a local 2006 LS (here is the specific information). The local Lexus dealer has confirmed that the timing belt has not been changed "yet" (per email today - not sure what "yet" specifically means) - I plan to test drive today or tomorrow.

The headlights need to be restored - also, I'm very concerned about a 10 year old Navi screen dying (as it controls other functions, not just navigation). Additionally, Autocheck and Carfax both list a different number of owners (not sure if this is a concern or just an error). I may take the recommendations above and negotiate all fluids changed/flushed, headlight restoration, and timing belt/water pump/tensioner/etc replaced as part of a package deal - anything else?

Honestly, I'd like to get this specific LS reduced $1-2K as this will be a near even trade with my '09 CR-V.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions Re a 2006 LS