LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dumb question, but I gotta ask...mpg and range

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 11:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Dumb question, but I gotta ask...mpg and range

Has anyone gone over 600 miles on a tank of gas? I'm averaging 27-29 mpg on my commute and have gone 587 miles, but have not hit 600. You would have to average right around 30 miles per to hit that mark. It is possible, but you really would have to watch your driving to accomplish that.
I don't honestly notice a difference between mid grade fuel and premium, so I run mid grade all the time and it doesn't seem to effect mileage
Old 09-09-16, 02:08 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Has anyone gone over 600 miles on a tank of gas? I'm averaging 27-29 mpg on my commute and have gone 587 miles, but have not hit 600. You would have to average right around 30 miles per to hit that mark. It is possible, but you really would have to watch your driving to accomplish that.
I don't honestly notice a difference between mid grade fuel and premium, so I run mid grade all the time and it doesn't seem to effect mileage
I have not but that is a very good question maybe with an exhaust, headers and intake that would be more than possible due to increasing the efficiency of the engine. I am going to be doing a complete 2.5 exhaust, ppe headers, and injen intake to my womens car so i will deffinetly share my results if your interested.
Old 09-09-16, 02:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

More air = more fuel. I seriously doubt you will see any real improvement in your mileage with an intake and exhaust. They are not restrictive on the LS. If anything, tires with the least amount of rolling resistance and lowering the vechile to reduce drag would help a bit but the drag is already so low. Reducing weight also would help. I used to see as high as 33 mpg in my UL under ideal conditions but this was not sustainable due to the weather and the road. Just hypermile her by riding the *** of a semi...

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-09-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 02:31 PM
vividracing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
More air = more fuel. I seriously doubt you will see any real improvement in your mileage with an intake and exhaust. They are not restrictive on the LS. If anything, tires with the least amount of rolling resistance and lowering the vechile to reduce drag would help a bit but the drag is already so low. Reducing weight also would help. I used to see as high as 33 mpg in my UL under ideal conditions but this was not sustainable due to the weather and the road. Just hypermile her by riding the *** of a semi...
Technically, you would only see more fuel consumption if you changed your intake AND also re tuned the car. Just adding a intake would just make the car breathe better, which in turn, would give you better fuel mileage. Opening up the restrictive air box with an open element should yield better mileage, as well as doing exhaust.

Check tire pressure regularly as well.

Last edited by vividracing; 09-09-16 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 02:33 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

I would have to disagree ....respectfully though if you look at the ls manifolds and exhaust there super restrictive. The manifold is really restrictive and the exhaust has the 3rd cat and the flattened out pipes on it also i mean i am going to deffinetly keep record and report on it.

Also was most of your driving highway by chance? I live in east bum **** ny small town usa thats super hilly so i would never be able to achieve that. I do agree about the tires though they play a huge factor as well.
Old 09-09-16, 02:41 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Headers on the LS equaled about 15 HP from what I have seen. This is without a tune of course as I have never seen a tune for the LS. The reality is that people enjoy power and once you start trying to get more the right foot becomes heavier and mileage tends to go down significantly. Yes, when I got 33 is was when I was in GA on mostly flat highway use. I did not get this much once I moved to NJ. The intake on the LS is not restrictive. This is why no one makes an intake for it. Many people have tried and no one has shown any improvement over the factory that I have ever seen. Especially on a dyno.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-09-16 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 03:27 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Headers on the LS equaled about 15 HP from what I have seen. This is without a tune of course as I have never seen a tune for the LS. The reality is that people enjoy power and once you start trying to get more the right foot becomes heavier and mileage tends to go down significantly. Yes, when I got 33 is was when I was in GA on mostly flat highway use. I did not get this much once I moved to NJ. The intake on the LS is not restrictive. This is why no one makes an intake for it. Many people have tried and no one has shown any improvement over the factory that I have ever seen. Especially on a dyno.
You are absolutely correct about the intake the stock ls430 intake is super efficient. The ppe headers give you 20 hp & 20 tq dyno proven and the exhaust maybe 10-20hp and 15-25 tq i would do dyno runs with the exhaust and stuff but it cost me $750 for 3 pulls with tuning and honestly no body on here gives a **** about making the car faster and just tells me that toyota did a better job than i ever will so yah lol.

My personal car is an 06 with an ls1 swap with a t56 its a completely different animal then the standered ls, i am looking for at a ats lsd and a custom ladder brace to reduce the body roll on this behemoth during cornering haha.

But anyways i am also wondering about the car ride height and chassis stiffness effecting gas mileage...sorry for thread jacking ime an a-hole.
Old 09-09-16, 06:37 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Technically, you can get 600 miles per tank if you hit 27 mpg given that the fuel tank holds a little bit over 22 gallons. I would, however, not recommend trying.
Old 09-09-16, 09:31 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Lav. Good to see you in here. I bought an '04 last week. MPG display is showing 27-30. Haven't driven it far enough to actually check but looking forward to it. My '01 never showed numbers like that. Same general speed, same roads.
Old 09-10-16, 03:09 PM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More power, more Air/Fuel meaning less MPG.
More MPG is more efficiency. Driving at the optemal rpm on the optemal day on the optemal road. Meaning using the least amount of fuel.
to make the LS more efficient you need max tq at carousing RPM. You achieve this by cam and tuning. But this will rube hp at higher RPM.
Old 09-10-16, 03:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I have averaged as high as 27.8 mpg on my LS430 on long interstate trips using mostly cruise control. Have gone over 500 miles but typically refuel at or before that point. LS like most modern cars has fuel pump located in the gas tank and it is partially cooled by the actual gas. I am not sure but I think running the tank super low or dry could be hazardous to the fuel pump.
Old 09-10-16, 08:53 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Have hit 25 mpg a couple of times on our '01 and went to 502 miles on a tank once but typically go no more than 450 or less before filling up.... At 27 mpg you are doing quite well but why try and go 600 on a tank? Anything over 400 is enough to go a lot of places.....
Old 09-10-16, 08:59 PM
jamsvet
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just yesterday drove from SD to Vegas and got 25.1 MPG at a little over 80. I'll take it. 04 LS
Old 09-10-16, 10:54 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

The highest I have seen is 28.2 when I drove from MD to MI. I was at 300 miles around half a tank.
Old 09-11-16, 07:52 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by iToaster
Technically, you can get 600 miles per tank if you hit 27 mpg given that the fuel tank holds a little bit over 22 gallons. I would, however, not recommend trying.
Absolutely correct. I feel I should have clarified. My tank avg. is roughly 24.5 - 25 mpg. I reset the trip avg. to see what I do on each leg of my commute. That's where the 27-29 avg comes into play.

I have only tried to hyper-milage the LS once or twice, just to see if it's possible to hit 600 miles on a tank. I suppose if I was heading out on a cross-country journey I probably would see 600 and then some. I just don't know if my body (or my wife) could stay in the car that long nor is it good for the fuel pump to run the tank that far down.
For my commute I'm in the car for a little over an hour which is easy with this car! That Hyundai Veloster I had for a month and a half was murder on my back after about 35 minutes. Biggest reason I got rid of it...

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 09-11-16 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Dumb question, but I gotta ask...mpg and range