LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What's The Best GASOLINE for the 430?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 01:42 PM
dmmoroney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's The Best GASOLINE for the 430?

I'm a big fan of Shell V Power Nitro+.

And I certainly will only use "Top Tier" gas, unless I have no choice.

How does everyone else feel? I know there's a good few "Top Tier" out there.....

Last edited by dmmoroney; 09-06-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 02:08 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Top tier except when I get discounts on gas from using a certain grocery store.
Old 09-06-16, 02:11 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

gas is gas - numerous studies have debunked the premium brands.

All fuel has to conform to minimum standards, which include so-called detergent additives.
Old 09-06-16, 02:46 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I like chevron but pump shell as a backup.
Old 09-06-16, 05:20 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda

All fuel has to conform to minimum standards, which include so-called detergent additives.
I tend to agree. About 90% of my driving is on the interstate, so I run mid-grade and buy cheap gas at a place called "Speedway". Never been an issue and I get what I feel is fantastic fuel economy. I'm averaging 27-29 mpg each way on my commute.
Old 09-06-16, 06:44 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Daspyda

All fuel has to conform to minimum standards, which include so-called detergent additives
it's the same from the refinery, not from the pump to your tank

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-...created-equal/
Old 09-06-16, 09:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Large geographic regions in the US are typically serviced by one and only one pipeline for gasoline. Every singe local gas brand in that large geographic region buys its gas from the exact same wholesaler that owns that pipeline. All gas is locally absolutely 100% identical with the only difference being the additive package that the local brand buys from the wholesaler who adds it to the gas as it is being pumped into the delivery truck. Buy any Tier 1 gas from any local brand and it will be 100% identical. The marketing BS of major gas brands touting they have superior gas to gullible consumers is one of the oldest and longest running consumer scams ever. Google Tier 1 gas and you can get a list of gas brands that carry Tier 1 certified gas (meaning only that the local seller buys gas with a premium level additive/detergent to the gas they buy from the wholesaler).

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-06-16 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 10:50 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Put what Lexus recommends, they know whats best for there engines and there not make no commission on the gasoline anyways.
Old 09-07-16, 12:28 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you pay attention to the fuel delivery trucks they tend to be the same to most retailers so it is essentially the same gasoline.

BUT you should buy from a newer station that has newer underground tanks, pumps, and maintains their filtering system. If the gas pump fills your tank super slowly then odds are the filter in the pump is dirty. Chunks of contamination usually do not make it into your gas tank and even if they did the mesh sock on the fuel pump inlet would keep it in the tank. But you can avoid this by just going to a station you either know is under about 5 years old or if traveling out of town you can just look and tell by the bright concrete and condition of the building/pumps if it is a newer station.

Surprisingly I got a tank of gas at a Sunoco station that is under 6 months old (I saw it being built) where they even sell E85 but ended up with WORSE fuel economy at 21.0 mpg as a tank average. The grocery store gas near my house gets me 22.2 mpg in mostly city driving.
Old 09-07-16, 05:28 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Old 09-07-16, 06:58 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by offbad
it's the same from the refinery, not from the pump to your tank

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-...created-equal/
One application of STP or similar brand of fuel treatment every once in a while will take care of that.
Old 09-07-16, 08:13 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

From actual testing and not opinions, it appears that Top tier gas is worth it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-m...h-extra-price/

Using an independent engine testing lab that specializes in fuel analysis, AAA sought to answer the question: Is “Top Tier” gasoline worth the price? The short answer is yes.

What Is Top Tier Gas?

Gasoline is essentially a shared commodity, often stored in common containers until it is purchased by a major retailer. After that, the retailer treats the gas with a specific additive, thereby giving the fuel its brand identity. But are these additives just a dosage of marketing hype?

Top Tier gasoline was developed in 2004 to go beyond the minimum standard for detergent additives to better protect increasingly sophisticated engines from carbon buildup and deposits on the intake valves—which can result in a rough idle, acceleration hesitation, knocking/pinging, and reduced fuel economy.

Over the past 20 years, engines have become far more precise, operating under tighter tolerances and at higher compression ratios, while targeting cleaner emissions and improved fuel economy. To achieve these goals, eight automakers—Audi, BMW, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, General Motors, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, and Volkswagen—have united in support of Top Tier gas, specifically recommending it to their owners with the goal of preserving their engines’ original performance and emissions over time.

Top Tier retailers include 76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Co-op, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express, Exxon, Holiday, Kwik Star Stores, Kwik Trip, Mahalo, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Petro-Canada, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell / Shell V-Power, Sinclair Standard, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Tempo, Texaco, Tri-Par, and Valero.

Visit our guide to fuel economy.

Intake valve comparison showing a new valve compared to the results from the 100-hour engine test.
Photo: AAAGas Test Findings

For its test, the lab operated an engine continuously for 100 hours on a cycle to represent 4,000 real-miles of use. The engine was then disassembled, photographed, and its key components weighed and measured to determine the thickness of carbon deposits. Six fuels were used, randomly selected and split among three basic gasoline sources and three Top Tier.

The results showed that on average, Top Tier gasoline had 19 times fewer carbon deposits on injectors, intake valves, and in the combustion chamber when compared to regular gasoline.

AAA also found Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.

Further, analyzing gas prices over a 12-month period found just a three cent price difference between non-Top Tier and Top Tier gasoline.

Bottom line: For the nominal investment, this study shows that motorists would benefit from using Top Tier gasoline as their primary fuel.

Given the technological trend toward more sophisticated engines, we think the EPA should consider raising the minimum detergent standards to ensure all drivers benefit from the type of performance and longevity promised by Top Tier fuels.
Old 09-07-16, 10:55 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thread on BEST gas or oil for the Lex?
Old 09-08-16, 03:12 AM
Aries75
Driver School Candidate

Default Absolute Best gas for LS430

Hey All,
It was REAL simple for me to find out which octane to use in my LS. I was using 87 octane, BUT NEVER AGAIN will I use 87. I was only getting 10 MPG AVG and my LS ran like crap on 87 octane.
I drove all the 87 octane out and put 93 octane in from the local QT station and immediately noticed a HUGE improvement in performance,gas mileage,idling,and response!! The trip computer instantly showed the MPG's going up and I was super excited.
I dont mind paying the little bit of difference in price to get a WHOLE LOTTA MORE outta my car, which it was designed to do in the first place. My LS has 174k miles and runs like a brand new one.
This car has truly always been my dream car and it feels good to actually be living one of my dreams... By the way, Ive had this car for two months and bought it for $4600 and its the Ultra with every option Lexus offerred.
I will post pictures soon...
Old 09-08-16, 04:32 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

That is strange that your car doesn't utilize 87 octane efficiently. Many posters on this site have had good success using 87 octane exclusively. I have been running 87 octance through my LS430 with little issues for the past year. That is why I recommend top tier fuels as the fouling of pistons has been proven to be minimal.

Quick Reply: What's The Best GASOLINE for the 430?