LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Vais Tech MML for '04 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 09:13 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by OsideTurbo
The VAIS is certainly made from parts manufactured in China and might be partially assembled in the U.S. There may be some value in dealing with an American company if you have warranty concerns, but that is it. However, when dealing with solid-state electronics that have no moving parts, warranty isn't as much of a concern. If it works when it is turned on for the first time, it will continue to work since there are no wear items, nor deteriorating materials (such as rubber). The most technologically advanced items I own are my Phone (Samsung - Korea), my TV (LG - Korea) and my laptop (Toshiba - China). Why anyone would expect their car's media converter to be any different doesn't make sense to me. My phone, laptop and TV were much larger purchases than my $72 Yatour, yet I never questioned where they were made. Also, since I bought the Yatour from Amazon, it comes with the full backing of an American company and I would much rather seek a refund from Amazon than some small-time shop I've never heard of.

And the Lexus . . .
"And the Lexus"?? You think the Lexus was made in China? Korea? Taiwan?
Old 09-13-16, 03:50 AM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daddykay24
That's what I thought. Just wanted to confirm. I have a an 05 so T1 should work fine. I saw that Damian had the L1 and tha'ts why I asked.
I think I bought the wrong unit
I asked the distributor for the correct unit for my car and my friends IS-F and we were shipped two L-1's.

The installation is the IS-F was cumbersome, the unit wouldn't initiate for a long time and it was irritating, perhaps the issue is the wrong model of hardware.

It's quite an issue finding information about these devices, even with a forum with so many posts on it.

I've given up for now, very busy and may attempt to resolve the issue later.

Last edited by Damian@FI; 09-13-16 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 08:14 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the information on the different options. What's the best place for the long term MML install? First do a temp connect (not a final install) to make sure software is current and everything works? Same questions on the Yatour.

Old 09-13-16, 12:09 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian@FI
I think I bought the wrong unit
I asked the distributor for the correct unit for my car and my friends IS-F and we were shipped two L-1's.

The installation is the IS-F was cumbersome, the unit wouldn't initiate for a long time and it was irritating, perhaps the issue is the wrong model of hardware.

It's quite an issue finding information about these devices, even with a forum with so many posts on it.

I've given up for now, very busy and may attempt to resolve the issue later.
On a LS, the MML is small enough to fit under the CD/radio stack and above the plastic air duct.

As for the L1 vs. T1 model variation, Eugene at Vais advises: "they differ only with harnesses. T1 is a 12 pin and L1 is a 20 pin. The 2004 LS has both of those on the back of the radio, so either one can be installed."

I've never had to upload any new firmware to the MML. All 4 units always arrived with the newest firmware installed.

When you installed and initialized the unit, which "emulation mode" did you follow? I always programmed the MML using the "MD emulation mode." The instructions for MD emulation programming are on page 5 of the Owner's Manual. I chose MD mode rather than "CD mode" and "CD-MP3," the other two programming choices.

Did you follow the programming steps exactly, especially flipping the tiny dip switches (which program the MML) in the correct sequence?

T-1 for:
IS 300/250/350 2006-2009 With Navigation
IS 300/250/350 2006-2009 Without Navigation

L-1 for:
IS 300/250/350 2001-2005 All Packages

Last edited by Tom57; 09-21-16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 07:05 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from vacation and caught up on this thread. I was asked to provide a review of the Yatour after some use and since i just got back from a road trip, this is a good time as any.

I've driven over 2400 miles on the Yatour in the last month, including four days of driving over 8 hours straight. It has been flawless so far. I have played music from usb, sd card, aux input (pandora and amazon music on my phone) and also ipod. All have worked well.

I saw @Damien's photos of the problems with the VAIS, including the static screen. I have had none of those problems with the Yatour.

(nm - just read he may have been sent wrong product)

Last edited by OsideTurbo; 09-13-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 12:48 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

If I haven't made it clear already, I'm in Australia, I'm assuming there aren't anywhere near as many people here with Lexii let alone people modifying them as I am, so we may have old stock sitting around at distributors.

I cannot fit the MML in the dash around the radio, my installer put it between the glove box and centre console, next to the cabin filter.
Australian LS430's are very different to US models, they come fully loaded, so no options, we ony get to choose paint and leather colour, it makes it easy to buy used.

The cable pokes out where the door to access the filter is, very neat and I can access the USB to the MML easily and quickly.

I've been extremely busy lately and ill, but I'll come back with images of the install ASAP and a revision of my thoughts once I update the firmware.

To re-iterate, the unit sounds great and I like functionality, although I did want Bluetooth and for some reason assumed it has it, I must have been confused with the Yatour.
No Bluetooth isn't a big deal though, if I do want to listen to something from my iPhone whilst the USB stick is in the MML, I have to switch the car off, physically remove the USB stick and insert my iPhone cable and go again, so I don't bother, bit of a bummer, but no biggie.
Old 09-14-16, 02:34 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

To re-iterate, the unit sounds great and I like functionality, although I did want Bluetooth and for some reason assumed it has it, I must have been confused with the Yatour.
No Bluetooth isn't a big deal though, if I do want to listen to something from my iPhone whilst the USB stick is in the MML, I have to switch the car off, physically remove the USB stick and insert my iPhone cable and go again, so I don't bother, bit of a bummer, but no biggie.

I would say though it is a "big deal" that it doesn't include Bluetooth when far cheaper units offer it standard.

It should be part of the package on all VAIS units, Bluetooth is dirt cheap and easily implemented. You shouldn't have to buy a completely separate module for that.

Just a very dated design not to include it. My guess is most people also just assumed it was part of it.

All the bugs are another issue, hopefully the firmware helps.

And according to everyone here, you did get the "right" unit as both are supposed to work on your model.
Old 09-22-16, 08:29 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Firmware update installed. I had my installer do it as I am older guy and not familiar with doing these things and have heard carrying out a firmware update incorrectly can render the device useless.

So, here is a screen shot (apologies for the camera phone quality) of the update version:

Here is the I accept screen stuck for about 5-10 seconds as it did before the update:

Here is the glitch with video I saw before the update but never before using the MML device:

Nothing has changed, the same slow speeds to sort through folders, I have a fast, new, properly formatted 64GB SanDisk thumb drive that has only been used for the MML, folder structure exactly as VaisTech ask, my installer checked the install twice and it's running the latest firmware, still buggy, still laggy. It only has about 5GB of music on it, all mp3.

Not happy with what is essentially a $500 (including installation) MD emulator and therefore cannot recommend this product as I've now seen 2 x $100 ebay specials (like the GROM and Yatour) doing the exact same thing, but with more functionality such as Bluetooth streaming.

It's a great addition to the LS, but to be honest I cannot see this premium product which sells for a significantly higher price sowing any signs of merit/justification.

The unit in the IS-F is less buggy, but again, we should have gone for a cheaper alternative there.
I spent $1K instead of $400 (Australian money, both units, including installation) imo.
Old 09-23-16, 02:25 AM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Firmware update installed. I had my installer do it as I am older guy and not familiar with doing these things and have heard carrying out a firmware update incorrectly can render the device useless.

So, here is a screen shot (apologies for the camera phone quality) of the update version:

Here is the I accept screen stuck for about 5-10 seconds as it did before the update:

Here is the glitch with video I saw before the update but never before using the MML device:

Nothing has changed, the same slow speeds to sort through folders, I have a fast, new, properly formatted 64GB SanDisk thumb drive that has only been used for the MML, folder structure exactly as VaisTech ask, my installer checked the install twice and it's running the latest firmware, still buggy, still laggy. It only has about 5GB of music on it, all mp3.

Not happy with what is essentially a $500 (including installation) MD emulator and therefore cannot recommend this product as I've now seen 2 x $100 ebay specials (like the GROM and Yatour) doing the exact same thing, but with more functionality such as Bluetooth streaming.

It's a great addition to the LS, but to be honest I cannot see this premium product which sells for a significantly higher price sowing any signs of merit/justification.

The unit in the IS-F is less buggy, but again, we should have gone for a cheaper alternative there.
I spent $1K instead of $400 (Australian money, both units, including installation) imo.
Damian@FI, sorry to hear about your troubles with the unit. Appreciate all the updates regarding to the system and sounds like it is a bummer to see this happened. Would VAIS swap out the unit for a new one for you? It could have been a defect straight from the factory. But hopefully it all gets resolved soon, because if I had spent close to what you have for a product that functions with issues, I would be pretty upset.
Old 09-23-16, 06:59 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've installed an MML-L1 in my 03' LS 430 and have had it for about a week and a half now.

And for my needs it's performed flawlessly. Never hung up on a track, never skipped a beat, never had any errors, never had the sound cut out. Nothing. Working just fine.

One quirk is that it doesn't seem to go through Disc's in order of folder names. Example; I could have three folders named folder1, folder2, folder3 in the USB. But the MML might assign Disc 1 with folder3, Disc 2 with folder1, and Disc 3 with folder2. It all depends on the date of the folder creation rather than alphanumeric order i believe.

Another quirk is that it if you set the MML to random and you're listening to a song and turn the vehicle off, when you start the car again the track that you last played now becomes Track 1 and starts the randomization over. This quirk is actually pretty convenient to be honest...

Oh and i've heard people mention that it doesn't remember where you are in the song after you restart the car. But so far it picks off from where it last was in the track with my MML.

Also in MD mode it apparently can only recognize up to 99 folder's / discs. But thankfully the MML can recognize up to 4 USB partitions so its essentially 99 discs/folders x 4 partitions for almost 400 folders.

It's a bit pricey at $250, and the GROM might better serve at a cheaper price. But as an honest to goodness product it's performed admirably well in my application.

EDIT: Installed in an LS 430 in Modern Lux (ML+NAV). Using a Lexar 256 gig thumb drive divided into four 60 gig FAT32 partitions. You change parition by activating the DISC RAND button and hittin the UP or DOWN arrow on the screen to switch to the next or previous USB partition. Essentially the MML has the capability to give you four different Disc 1's.

Sound quality is fantastic by the way. Whenever i turned up the volume using an FM transmitter, you could start to hear the noise floor / static in the background. Getting even worse when i need to charge and play music at the same time. As the charging cable from the 12v outlet would introduce even more noise.

Last edited by Mobius1; 09-23-16 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 01:47 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mobius1
One quirk is that it doesn't seem to go through Disc's in order of folder names. Example; I could have three folders named folder1, folder2, folder3 in the USB. But the MML might assign Disc 1 with folder3, Disc 2 with folder1, and Disc 3 with folder2. It all depends on the date of the folder creation rather than alphanumeric order i believe.

Another quirk is that it if you set the MML to random and you're listening to a song and turn the vehicle off, when you start the car again the track that you last played now becomes Track 1 and starts the randomization over. This quirk is actually pretty convenient to be honest...

Oh and i've heard people mention that it doesn't remember where you are in the song after you restart the car. But so far it picks off from where it last was in the track with my MML.

Also in MD mode it apparently can only recognize up to 99 folder's / discs. But thankfully the MML can recognize up to 4 USB partitions so its essentially 99 discs/folders x 4 partitions for almost 400 folders.
The Yatour has a very similar structure for playing music from usb & SDcard. You are correct about creation date affecting track order. When you save music to a usb/sd, the songs within a given folder are played in the order which they were saved to the usb/sd.

Since the Yatour and MML are similar, it might be worth a try to create a usb/sd the way I do with Yatour. Yatour recognizes the folder order by number. (For those trying to picture what is going on here, think of a folder as a CD in the changer - a CD that can hold up to 99 songs.) So, I start by creating folders within the usb/sd. (Yatour allows 1-15 folders with 99 tracks in each folder) The key is that the folders must be named correctly: CD01, CD02, CD03, CD04 . . . If you name them that way, the folders will show up in the correct order. When you are loading a particular folder with songs, the songs in that folder play back in the order which they are saved to the usb. (first saved = first played). Be mindful of how your files transfer to the usb/sd: If you cut and paste a group of 50 songs all at once, your computer may complete the transfer of the 28th song (with a small file size) prior to transferring the 5th song (with a large file). So, just because they were in order when you cut-and-pasted doesn't mean they will transfer in the same order if you are attempting large batches.

The Yatour also picks up where you left off when you re-start the car. I'm not sure if the Yatour "starts the randomization over". I haven't used random much and I don't understand what you mean by "starts over" . . . . random is random so it shouldn't need a "start" or "finish", right?

The Yatour can recognize up to 15 usb/sd folders(partitions) so its essentially 1 to 99 songs/files x 15 folders(partitions) for almost 15,000 songs total. (Rule of thumb: 1GB holds approx. 250 songs, depending on length & quality.) Before buying my Yatour, I read a review that said it could have errors when using large usb drives and that it worked better with less data on a usb. Since I had a few 4GB usb drives laying around and because the CD changer in the car has a 6 CD capacity, I loaded up 3 usb drives with 6 folders (CD01, CD02, etc)) and 99 tracks each. I also loaded up a 2GB SDcard from an old camera with music using the same file structure. My Yatour has worked flawlessly setting up and playing usb/SDcard drives this way. For my next project, I'll try maxing it out and set up a usb with 15 CDs x 99 songs each and see if it can handle a drive that large.. I like that the Yatour allows for up to 15 CDs(folders) because it makes it easier to organize your music coherently. For example, instead of cramming everything on one large usb, you could use a number of small drives and create 15 folders on each and put an album in each folder. If my next project of maxing out a usb with 15,000 songs works, I'll probably put most of my music on a master usb and call it a day. If that turns out to be too much data for one usb, I'll start picking out some of my essential albums to put on usb 15 at a time.

Last edited by OsideTurbo; 09-23-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 08:44 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Since the Yatour and MML are similar, it might be worth a try to create a usb/sd the way I do with Yatour. Yatour recognizes the folder order by number. (For those trying to picture what is going on here, think of a folder as a CD in the changer - a CD that can hold up to 99 songs.) So, I start by creating folders within the usb/sd. (Yatour allows 1-15 folders with 99 tracks in each folder) The key is that the folders must be named correctly: CD01, CD02, CD03, CD04 . . . If you name them that way, the folders will show up in the correct order. When you are loading a particular folder with songs, the songs in that folder play back in the order which they are saved to the usb. (first saved = first played). Be mindful of how your files transfer to the usb/sd: If you cut and paste a group of 50 songs all at once, your computer may complete the transfer of the 28th song (with a small file size) prior to transferring the 5th song (with a large file). So, just because they were in order when you cut-and-pasted doesn't mean they will transfer in the same order if you are attempting large batches.
Can they simply be pre-fixed with "CD01" or does it have to be alone? Because I still want the album name displayed on my Nav screen. Then again i could probably just go in and "edit" the folders of everything in the order I want.

The Yatour also picks up where you left off when you re-start the car. I'm not sure if the Yatour "starts the randomization over". I haven't used random much and I don't understand what you mean by "starts over" . . . . random is random so it shouldn't need a "start" or "finish", right?.
Well the MML is only random in it's playlist. So if it's currently playing the album/folder/playlist "Sounds of the Universe" on track 4. "Fragile Soul", when i hit the RAND now that becomes track 1, and a random track in that album/folder/playlist becomes track 2 etc. This also happens when the car is (re)started.

The Yatour can recognize up to 15 usb/sd folders(partitions) so its essentially 1 to 99 songs/files x 15 folders(partitions) for almost 15,000 songs total. (Rule of thumb: 1GB holds approx. 250 songs, depending on length & quality.) Before buying my Yatour, I read a review that said it could have errors when using large usb drives and that it worked better with less data on a usb. Since I had a few 4GB usb drives laying around and because the CD changer in the car has a 6 CD capacity, I loaded up 3 usb drives with 6 folders (CD01, CD02, etc)) and 99 tracks each. I also loaded up a 2GB SDcard from an old camera with music using the same file structure. My Yatour has worked flawlessly setting up and playing usb/SDcard drives this way. For my next project, I'll try maxing it out and set up a usb with 15 CDs x 99 songs each and see if it can handle a drive that large.. I like that the Yatour allows for up to 15 CDs(folders) because it makes it easier to organize your music coherently. For example, instead of cramming everything on one large usb, you could use a number of small drives and create 15 folders on each and put an album in each folder. If my next project of maxing out a usb with 15,000 songs works, I'll probably put most of my music on a master usb and call it a day. If that turns out to be too much data for one usb, I'll start picking out some of my essential albums to put on usb 15 at a time.
Hmm interesting, i wonder why it's limited to 15. Does the Yatour display folder names? As much as i like alphanumeric order, It'd still be nice if i could keep the folder names the same because that's what is displayed on the Nav Screen. I might give it a try though to see if it works. I'll proibably just prefix each folder with CD01.

Also partitions in my case refer's to actual file systems instead of folders/directories. One USB Thumb drive will pop up as four different drives (well it would be something like Drive H, I, J, K in "My Computer" in Windows, but Microsoft's OS has a limitation on displaying multiple file systems on removable media), each containing up to 99 folders (or up to 999 folders in CD mode, but you lose TEXT capability)

DISC1 in my first partition is "Pure Moods". Which is just grabbed from the folder name itself.

https://i.imgur.com/M4wajqm.jpg

DISC1 in my second partition is "Battlefield 3".

https://i.imgur.com/zN44EjS.jpg

And DISC1 in my third partition is "Avatar".

https://i.imgur.com/0H83xJw.jpg

All on one 256 gig thumb drive. I dont really notice any delays as well.

https://i.imgur.com/PYswDdP.jpg

Last edited by Mobius1; 09-23-16 at 10:03 PM. Reason: a word
Old 09-24-16, 09:09 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Damian for the honest review. I was actually going to try and look for a used, newer VaisTech model as the price is always what slowed me up, but now I'm not sure I would take one if it was given to me.
Old 09-24-16, 09:16 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Can they simply be pre-fixed with "CD01" or does it have to be alone? Because I still want the album name displayed on my Nav screen. Then again i could probably just go in and "edit" the folders of everything in the order I want.
I'm not sure - I've only named them CD01, CD02 . . . Good idea, though, I'll give prefixing a try because it would be nice to have text after the number for easier identification. At the bottom of this post, I'll attach pics of the 2 pages of the User Manual which discuss naming.

Also, here is the link to the thread in which I go through my Yatour ordering and install process. Unfortunately for the reader, I did not write up a clean "how-to" in a single post. Rather, you need to read the series of my posts in that thread to get everything. Although, I did a few summaries at the end which simplify things. I also posted a bunch of pics that will give you an idea of what it looks like. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-today-2.html

Well the MML is only random in it's playlist. So if it's currently playing the album/folder/playlist "Sounds of the Universe" on track 4. "Fragile Soul", when i hit the RAND now that becomes track 1, and a random track in that album/folder/playlist becomes track 2 etc. This also happens when the car is (re)started.
I see. The Yatour offers both full Random and single Disc Random - so that is not an issue for me. This is how it looks:

Hmm interesting, i wonder why it's limited to 15. Does the Yatour display folder names? As much as i like alphanumeric order, It'd still be nice if i could keep the folder names the same because that's what is displayed on the Nav Screen. I might give it a try though to see if it works. I'll proibably just prefix each folder with CD01.
I don't know why it's limited to 15 - the manual doesn't explain. It displays song titles (see pic below) but only the numbers of the CDs (so far - I haven't tried adding text beyond CD01 yet).

Also partitions in my case refer's to actual file systems instead of folders/directories. One USB Thumb drive will pop up as four different drives (well it would be something like Drive H, I, J, K in "My Computer" in Windows, but Microsoft's OS has a limitation on displaying multiple file systems on removable media), each containing up to 99 folders (or up to 999 folders in CD mode, but you lose TEXT capability)
Yeah, I got confused by your naming protocol since Yatour is a tad different. I have not tried partitioning a drive for Yatour purposes. I just pop a usb in my laptop and create 6 folders to take the place of physical CDs - this is the CD01, CD02, CD03 naming part. In each of the CD0_ folders, I can copy/paste up to 99 files/songs (which the Yatour calls "tracks" when displayed on the Nav screen).

User Manual on naming:

Last edited by OsideTurbo; 09-24-16 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 06:31 AM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing many issues with one of the units, the one in the LS430;

1) It sometimes plays a CD and what's on the USB plugged into the MML simultaneously, no amount of button pushing resolves it, I have to pull over and shut down, wait, re-start. Annoying. I can turn the stereo off and can change volume controls,, but cannot switch one of the CD or MML (MD emulator) off.
2) It's still inconsistently and randomly laggy, it will often not change track and then after a few button pushes it skips a few tracks or changes folder.
3) The 'I Agree' bypass doesn't work, no matter how many times I attempt to get it to work.
4) Sometimes it doesn't recognise the USB, I have to pull over and shut down, wait, re-start. Annoying.

The one in the IS-F works well, once or twice it has had an issue but that's kinda understandable with an aftermarket modification like this.
Definitely wouldn't recommend the MML, get a cheap one that actually seems to work better, at the very least, as well/poorly.

Quick Reply: Vais Tech MML for '04 430