Vais Tech MML for '04 430

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 10:18 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
You seem to know a lot about the company for not being associated with them
You're right, I do. And you know nothing about the MML, about a product you don't own.
Old 08-27-16, 10:19 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Brad, this is not typical of the type of thoughtful, non-personal posts I've seen you write.

Here's an example: genuine wire harness for the LS430 '04 - '06 satellite radio that was a dealer-installed accessory. Today, just the harness is $107 list price. ( I get my dealer-sourced parts at a discount.) It's not some cheap generic pigtail wires available at Amazon, Alibaba, etc. You and others would never think of touching the install of OE satellite radio. I have, twice. Cost not a factor.

Read my post, I wrote wire harness and internals of the VAIS MML. The MML is assembled in Colorado. It contains proprietary software for the audio reproduction, which for a person like me who doesn't care for AM-radio sounding audio, it's very high quality.

Tell us what you pay for things or service to yours and I'm sure we could say it's silly.

Case of BUYER'S REMORSE:

You bought a GROM, others bought earlier production VAIS models that were not the MML which has different, unique functionality and high-quality audio output. Buyers remorse for you folks. I totally understand, and now with money being at the center of this issue for you all, you now just cannot justify getting what you should've bought the first time. So, all you can do is criticize the VAIS product-pricing, and attack those who express their love for the VAIS MML (A CLUB LEXUS SPONSOR). No positive solutions offered for the OP, just venting and spewing negative about a product you don't even own.

Strangely, you're the one that seems oddly fixated on defending VaisTech's "honor". My only comment was "Vais needs to lower their prices", and you react to that like you're a company rep being attacked.

The fact they are sponsor is pretty irrelevant to me, I also have a Volvo and Nissan ad appearing on the ClubLexus website. I'm "allowed" to voice an opinion that something is over priced in my view. Lexus users have had issues with VaisTech where they had to return them for reprogramming, ClubLexus is littered with stories like this, even with being a sponsor users are allowed to voice those concerns. Have all the issues been resolved? I hope so.

And I still legitimately want to know, what would a VaisTech package cost that has Satellite, Bluetooth, and USB/Analog connection. Because I'm seeing that I have to order 3 modules plus a separate outboard Sirius tuner to get that, and that makes the price sky high. I'm not even sure where to fit all of those modules. All said and done I'm looking at something like $800. And the copper wires are not why that price is so high.

For my car, I'm looking at a:

SL3SAT-L W/ TUNER for a satellite connection at $309
SL3B-L for Bluetooth at $229
MML-T1 for a USB connection $249

For a grand total of $787, and I'm not even sure how to integrate all of these together.
And I still don't have a headphone jack with that, as I have legacy devices I want to use.

If you can come up with a different package to get these options, let me know, but it's not the copper wire that makes them this expensive, and I honestly don't care where the wires are made to connect to my Chinese-made iPhone or iPod.
Old 08-27-16, 10:19 AM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an example: genuine wire harness for the LS430 '04 - '06 satellite radio that was a dealer-installed accessory. Today, just the harness is $107 list price. ( I get my dealer-sourced parts at a discount.) It's not some cheap generic pigtail wires available at Amazon, Alibaba, etc. You and others would never think of touching the install of OE satellite radio. I have, twice. Cost not a factor.
I still want to defend the Yatour here. As for sound, I think you may be associating the Yatour with the GROM's sound. I take it you haven't heard a Yatour because the sound is excellent. Only limited by the file quality you choose to play. It plays my 320k files the same quality as my home stereo.

As for the wires, I honestly don't see any difference in materials or quality outside of the heat-shrink. In fact, if any harness is short on wires, it is the large VAIS cable.

Compared to the photo in your post above, the materials could have come from the same warehouse.

Old 08-27-16, 10:25 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OsideTurbo
I don't see the concerns with installing the Yatour - I don't have any electronics or stereo knowledge (had to pay a guy to hook up my sub) but I installed mine. It is my understanding that all three units (Yatour, VAIS, GROM) require that you remove the trim face plates and pull the head unit out so that you can access the plug in the back in order to plug it in since all are hard-wired. You can learn to pull the headunit by watching the 3 minute youtube video, it is very simple. Once the headunit is pulled, you just insert the plugs and you are done - those steps are covered in my photos. Takes 15 minutes to pull the headunit and hook-up.

Also, the Yatour has a bluetooth (call and music) adapter for $99 - which brings the total to $170 - $180 on amazon.
I don't own Yatour, so no negative posts from me about it. For the cost-conscious, compare VAIS at $209.99 (sale price) vs. iSimple, GROM, Yatour, etc. VAIS is the price leader; you get what you pay for.
Old 08-27-16, 11:21 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
Strangely, you're the one that seems oddly fixated on defending VaisTech's "honor". My only comment was "Vais needs to lower their prices", and you react to that like you're a company rep being attacked.

The fact they are sponsor is pretty irrelevant to me, I also have a Volvo and Nissan ad appearing on the ClubLexus website. I'm "allowed" to voice an opinion that something is over priced in my view. Lexus users have had issues with VaisTech where they had to return them for reprogramming, ClubLexus is littered with stories like this, even with being a sponsor users are allowed to voice those concerns. Have all the issues been resolved? I hope so.

And I still legitimately want to know, what would a VaisTech package cost that has Satellite, Bluetooth, and USB/Analog connection. Because I'm seeing that I have to order 3 modules plus a separate outboard Sirius tuner to get that, and that makes the price sky high. I'm not even sure where to fit all of those modules. All said and done I'm looking at something like $800. And the copper wires are not why that price is so high.

For a grand total of $787, and I'm not even sure how to integrate all of these together.
And I still don't have a headphone jack with that, as I have legacy devices I want to use.

If you can come up with a different package to get these options, let me know, but it's not the copper wire that makes them this expensive, and I honestly don't care where the wires are made to connect to my Chinese-made iPhone or iPod.
Despite your continued personal digs, I'm offering what I did that may be a partial solution for your needs.

Summary:

You own an expensive (when new) and now over 10 years old luxury model car with old / or no technology. You want after-market add-on accessories cheaply to bring that old luxury car that you got cheaply, up to 2016 technology standards that are available in new model year vehicles. Since cost is a main factor, there may not be a solution that is cost-effective for you.

The after-market for such add-on auto technology was really very small when these cars arrived at the port. Perhaps we can agree that the LS target market was wealthy older folks who wanted the sophistication of a luxury sedan - many of whom had difficulty using a computer, let alone a smartphone, which was just coming into existence. Today, for 10+ year old cars, that market is even smaller. If you owned a U.S.-based manufacturer (computer board inside the unit assembled in Colorado) of high-quality car technology after-market accessories in a small and shrinking market, you wouldn't and couldn't offer your products cheap either. They don't compete on price. If you want cheap, then go buy the other alternatives, as you did with Grom - I understand that Grom uses the earphone jack for the audio source. That is the worst choice for an audio connection. And, next generation phones are eliminating that earphone mini-plug outlet. Then what are you going to do? Time to sell the LS?

Satellite Radio with USB / Phone Integration Solution:

I did research, acquired the components, then installed the exact same Lexus dealer accessory OE satellite radio in 2 of my LS's - $150 - using the OE dealer instructions. Tuner, harness, antenna - done. Same components that dealers installed when customers wanted this feature years ago. I did not purchase the VAIS satellite kit. You could daisy chain the VAIS units (MML with Satellite) if you chose that solution. I did not. Why? Satellite radio is all the same regardless of how you obtain the signal, however all USB / phone integration systems are not the same. So for $360, I have what I want : USB / phone integration with excellent sound and OE-like appearance AND OE satellite radio. (I don't care what the MML box looks like - no one wants these add-on components to be accessible or visible. Just a USB port is accessible just as it is on late model cars.)

Edit: It's not ideal, but you don't need a satellite tuner at all. You can stream satellite through your phone. You have a 13+ year old 2003 LS. Tech was moving very fast back then, so you're outta luck with an OE satellite install.

Last edited by Tom57; 08-27-16 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 11:38 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Look at it another way: As we all know, new cars come with option packages that carry additional costs to the base price. Lexus had a few (Modern Lux, Custom Lux and Ultra Lux) with associated higher option package costs. If all of the technology you want was available then, how much would the option package cost?

But you say that this technology is all mainstream now, so it shouldn't cost much. But, it just doesn't work that way.

Another example: The '04 - '06 LS430 was "Satellite radio ready." Some early (new) LS430 owners paid the dealer to install the satellite radio tuner, antenna and harness kit > $500 - $600+.

You're asking for a cheap, plug n' play, one-box-solves-all solution in an old car where one doesn't exist that I'm aware of.

Edit: Your needs are many and so user-specific and unique for an all-in-one solution > your market shrunk, parts and build cost even higher, and/or the box size is getting larger. Are earphone jacks even available in current vehicles? Wanting modern digital capability with backward analog capability cheaply is really not widely in demand to support production.

Last edited by Tom57; 08-27-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-27-16, 12:02 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

As for the wires, I honestly don't see any difference in materials or quality outside of the heat-shrink. In fact, if any harness is short on wires, it is the large VAIS cable.
You're mistaken, the pic of the wire harness I posted (list price $109 for just the harness at Lexus dealer) ... said it was an example of an OE wire harness for OE satellite radio. It is not a VAIS harness. Provided for price comparison of wire harnesses only.
Old 08-27-16, 12:22 PM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TOM57, as these cars age the demographic will change. I understand your position with the VAIS as us one of the guys from the Acura Legend would say is "pay for the best and cry once". Thanks for all the inputs regarding to the VAIS MML setup. The beauty of all this is at least that we have options for our cars. I am thinking of picking it up as well to add some more mobility with music selection in the car. I, however, wish that us who owns the G2 Acura Legends have this same option but we don't. We all wish that the prices are lower for things but once again we have options which is a win for us.
Old 08-27-16, 02:30 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

The fact that my Lexus was expensive 12+ years ago when it was new is not how I look what I should pay for things today. A flat screen TV was also a lot of money 12 years ago, but now prices have adjusted to where its a mass market product.

I see other companies providing similar solutions for integrating factory car stereos for a lot less. This one example does both Bluetooth and a headphone jack, along with a memory stick for the USB connection, something the VAIS can't do in one unit. For $65. Yet to do something similar, I would need two separate modules for bluetooth and USB connection (plus does VAIS have any unit that allows a headphone plug in?)
-
-

I'm not going to go round and round on this, you seem to have a strong, emotional attachment to what this company offers. But I (and most everyone else) seems to think VAIS is expensive for what it offers in today's market. 12 years ago, I would have a different answer. If you're happy with what they provide, great, but other are allowed to air their own thoughts about product pricing.

Fortunately for consumers, these types of stop gap solutions are a thing of the past and even bottom end fleet cars have easy integration with a smart phone as standard equipment.

-
-
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech MML for '04 430-screen-shot-2016-08-27-at-2.26.55-pm.png  
Old 08-27-16, 04:35 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

The fact that my Lexus was expensive 12+ years ago when it was new is not how I look what I should pay for things today. A flat screen TV was also a lot of money 12 years ago, but now prices have adjusted to where its a mass market product.
Not quite the same ... the correct analogy is: you want to install a flat screen panel (cheap today) in an old cathode ray tube TV, you want it to have 1080p resolution, and you want it cheap.

You know, of course, our LS's were designed in the late 90's and brought into production in late 2000. Mid-cycle tech "upgrades" introduced in '04 included a so-called upgraded Nav system from Gen 2/3 to Gen 4; bluetooth for telephone calls (only) and a back-up camera. No big deal by today's standards. You have an '03 so you don't have phone bluetooth. You're not missing much, really. Conversations through the bluetooth speakerphone are, at best, difficult. And, in order to program the onboard telephone directory, you need a good old Motorola RAZR or similar phone! You can't upload your contacts from any basic smartphone commonly in use today. Had to go buy a RAZR to input selected phone contacts into the LS phone directory.

Old 08-27-16, 04:50 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

I see other companies providing similar solutions for integrating factory car stereos for a lot less. This one example does both Bluetooth and a headphone jack, along with a memory stick for the USB connection, something the VAIS can't do in one unit. For $65. Yet to do something similar, I would need two separate modules for bluetooth and USB connection (plus does VAIS have any unit that allows a headphone plug in?)
-
-

Perhaps that's your solution. You seem to like (and need) the mini-plug off the phone (rather than an audio connection into the base of the phone for better sound quality) and it's cheaper, by Wiikitech in China.

Last edited by Tom57; 08-27-16 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 06:23 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

For those who can’t find anything about functionality on the website:

Specific Functionality & Features of VAIS MML*:
Excellent sound quality*
Easy music browsing and settings using Nav screen (screen shot pics attached).
Stream any audio internet content through the MML
Control from the screen, from the steering wheel buttons, and/or the connected device
Use a USB thumb drive for stored music content
Recharges phone (or any other USB-connected device) while in use / connected to the USB port
Automatically “touches” the annoying Navigation “I Agree” screen button to show the Nav screen
OE quality and installation
Recommended by Lexus dealer employees
U.S. - based company (MML with proprietary software assembled in USA); company product support; Club Lexus sponsor/product vendor
30-day money-back guarantee if buy manufacturer direct; 1-year product warranty

*For the audiophiles who know high-end audio quality > Frequency Response: 20 – 20KHz; Dynamic Range 95 db; Signal-to-Noise-Ratio 94 db; Total Harmonic Distortion .008%. Connects through the main connection base of phone, not the earphone jack.

$249 list, $209 on sale.

The product website is not as retail-friendly as some need, and may be more designed for car audio/after-market independent installation shops.

*Post similar for your favorite: Yatour, iSimple, GROM, Wiiki-tech, etc. including price, functionality, sound quality, ease of use, type of connection(s) etc., so that side-by-side comparsions and trade-offs among the variables can be made on this one thread.
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech MML for '04 430-vais-mml-screen-shot.jpg   Vais Tech MML for '04 430-vais-mml-screen-shot-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manual_MML.pdf (1.24 MB, 269 views)

Last edited by Tom57; 08-27-16 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 06:30 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Default USB Port Connection Locations

In the center armrest next to the 12-volt outlet and replaced the lighter in the ash tray.
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech MML for '04 430-vaistech-usb-install.jpg   Vais Tech MML for '04 430-vaistech-usb-install-2.jpg   Vais Tech MML for '04 430-vaistech-mml-usb-port.jpg  
Old 08-27-16, 07:40 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I still want to defend the Yatour here. As for sound, I think you may be associating the Yatour with the GROM's sound. I take it you haven't heard a Yatour because the sound is excellent. Only limited by the file quality you choose to play. It plays my 320k files the same quality as my home stereo.

Compared to the photo in your post above, the materials could have come from the same warehouse.

Because there is no difference, it's a wire harness. If anything, you're right, the Yatour one looks more high quality as they give you far more actual cable length.

It sort of reminds me of the silliness with brands like Monster Cable that would tell people how their "oxygen free copper" shielded cables would make everything look and sound better and charge $100 for a cable that cost them 50 cents to make. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference with one from a $2 one from Amazon.
Old 08-27-16, 08:59 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Post similar for your favorite: Yatour, iSimple, GROM, Wiiki-tech, etc. including price, functionality, sound quality, ease of use, type of connection(s) etc., so that side-by-side comparsions and trade-offs among the variables can be made on this one thread.

Yatour

Functionality and Features:
  • Original car CDC port set aside, simple and quick to install.Higher than CD quality sound of your MP3/WMA/Flac files with level-matching technology - Hi-Fi decoding chip.
  • Supports USB Stick / SD / SDHC / MMC card / flash drive / mass storage device / external harddrive/ipod /iphone / Aux jack (3.5mm/1/8")
  • Super directory management, a directory corresponding to a CD in support of accurate memory without power. Last position memory - Song resumes at stop point when car is restarted.
  • USB port available for 5V 500MA for power supply from other equiptments like Mobile, PSP and so on. Charges phones, mp3, etc.
  • Full control over the music via steering wheel or head unit controls.The device and other original cd changer are switchable, make full use of the original equipment.
  • Bluetooth ready, use your phone in your car hands-free, enables A2DP playback.
  • Includes: Wire Harness, Ipod Cable, 3.5mm aux cable.
  • 1 year warranty. Fulfilled by Amazon, if purchased there.
  • $71.66 on Amazon with Free Shipping https://www.amazon.com/Yatour-Digita.../dp/B00IYG0H82
  • Audiophile Info: Frequency Response: 20 – 20KHz; DAC Resolution: 20bit; Signal-to-Noise-Ratio: 90 db; Total Harmonic Distortion: .05%. (SNR above and THD below perceptible levels) Connects through the main connection base of phone/ipod, or the earphone jack, or usb or sd card (or can buy bluetooth adapter)

Interface appears to be the same as on the VAIS:

It shows up as "CD2 Changer" in the audio menu. You can save up to 99 files in each of the 6 "CD" slots. (At 320k, you can fit approx. 600 songs on a 4GB usb/sd card.)

You can also click "TITLE" to display the song title screen:

Quick Reply: Vais Tech MML for '04 430