LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Should I Use Fuel Additives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 01:15 PM
dmmoroney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Use Fuel Additives?

I will be picking up my 2004 LS 430 in a few days. I am wondering if it is good to use any of those fluids that you pour into the gas tank for cleaning, de-gumming, etc., or if they are just gimmicky? The car has about 125K miles on it.

Additionally, for oil changes I have decided on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and the Motorcraft FL400S oil filter. I feel that my car will welcome this combo :-)
Old 08-16-16, 01:38 PM
realkrs
Rookie

Good fuel and regular fuel filter maintenance will take care of most all fuel developments.

For a car with an unknown or somewhat known history a one time injection system/general cleaner additive is probably a good idea.

Lexus designed solid fuel filtering so generally if the car is running good it's best to leave it alone.
Old 08-16-16, 01:44 PM
dmmoroney
Rookie

Originally Posted by realkrs
Good fuel and regular fuel filter maintenance will take care of most all fuel developments.

For a car with an unknown or somewhat known history a one time injection system/general cleaner additive is probably a good idea.

Lexus designed solid fuel filtering so generally if the car is running good it's best to leave it alone.
Sounds good. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-16-16, 02:26 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

You may want to clean the throttle body with a spray cleaner. There are threads on how to DIY.
Old 08-16-16, 03:22 PM
nedear168
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did used Redline SI-1 and change oil and filter with Mobil 1 / OEM oil filter, the LS I bought 2 months ago only had 86xxx miles on the ODO, so far...after the cleaner with 2 tankful filled up, car run super smooth.
Old 08-16-16, 07:23 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Run some techron yearly. It's good stuff
Old 08-17-16, 07:46 AM
dmmoroney
Rookie

All great info! Thanks everyone!
Old 08-17-16, 08:27 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just use Tier 1 fuel such as Shell.
Old 08-17-16, 07:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I use a Tier 1 fuel on a regular basis and put in 1 large bottle of techron fuel system cleaner concentrate every 6 months.
Old 08-18-16, 05:04 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

An interesting discussion point would be which fuel cleaner works better? Is there anyway to really tell? If you can't tell then do fuel cleaners work? If fuel cleaners work why pay $10 / bottle over another one at $2 / bottle?

On site proclaimed about fuel cleaners "In addition to solvents and other components one of the main ingredients in fuel-system and fuel-injector cleaner is a fancy-sounding chemical called polyetheramine, also referred to as PEA for short."

This is the claim at the Exxon website about their top tier fuel:

Introducing Exxon and Mobil SynergyTM Gasoline
Engineered with 7 key ingredients, working together for better gas mileage.**
Meet the team:
Fuel Detergent 1 – helps provide excellent protection against intake valve deposits in traditional PFI (Port Fuel Injector) injection engines
Fuel Detergent 2 - helps provide Intake Valve Deposit protection for PFI engines and also provides additional protection for modern Direct Injection engines. Cleaner engine parts can lead to better gas mileage
Anti-Adhesion Compound - helps prevent fuel detergents from forming a sticky film on the intake valves; which in turn helps prevents cold start problems at cold temperatures
Corrosion Inhibitor - helps prevent rust in fuel distribution system and/or key engine parts the fuel comes into contact with such as the gas tank and the intake valves
Demulsifier - helps keep water from getting entrained in our additive in the distribution system. Helps prevent accumulation of water in your gas tank by allowing it to be separated and removed
Solvent Fluid - enables the additive ingredients to stay mixed and to flow, and not freeze at very cold temperatures
Marker Molecules - ensures we can determine the correct amount of our unique additive is added to our gasoline

Old 08-18-16, 01:03 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

^^ The thing is top tier gases are great in all, but they don't NEARLY have the concentration of additives that a bottle of Chevron Techron. If you always use top tier gasoline then its probably not an issue so don't waste your money on additive bottles
Old 08-18-16, 01:40 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
^^ The thing is top tier gases are great in all, but they don't NEARLY have the concentration of additives that a bottle of Chevron Techron. If you always use top tier gasoline then its probably not an issue so don't waste your money on additive bottles
How do you know?
Old 08-18-16, 04:57 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Truth be told, i don't know for sure but I can't believe for a second that normal gas (even top tier premium) has a 8th of the concentrated amounts found in bottle of Techron. Who knows, I just like to use it as peace of mind yearly.

I did find this from Bobistheoilguy.com. Take it for what it is...

Techron Concentrate plus is 10 times stronger than the Techron concentration in Chevron gas (Chevron reference), so if you dilute the concentrated form another 10x, you've got the basic Chrevron gas level (everyday use).​

Does Techron Fuel System Cleaner Actually Work? (with PROOF) - YouTube

Last edited by LudeAEM; 08-18-16 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 05:53 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

I've watched that video in the past. He says that after the test, using the Techron Fuel system cleaner, that cylinders 1,2,4,and didn't make a difference. Cylinder 3&5&6 was a bit better but not much. In the end he said that he was disappointed with Techron.

The real test would be to run a Tier 1 gas for a few months and check the condition of the cylinders.

I personally don't think the cleaners do much at all and are more of a placebo and based on your statement "I don't know for sure....." I think these fuel cleaner companies have done a wonderful job at marketing snake oil.

I have used Marvel Mystery oil and ran it through the brake booster vacuum line which goes into the cylinders. This is fairly inexpensive but I can't really say how well that works.

Old 08-18-16, 06:06 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

You're 100% right. Most of what we put in we can't see what the actual results are. I do the same with Seafoam through the booster line in all my cars with no issues. In some cases (not mine) its helped smooth the idle out. So who knows, do what you do.

Quick Reply: Should I Use Fuel Additives?