LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Car Shimmy/Shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 01:11 PM
LVPUNK
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Shimmy/Shake

When I got the PPI Lexus said the car needed an alignment and new tires. Driving the car home I noticed a shimmy on the steering wheel and it pulling to the right.

I got new Conti DWS 06 and an alignment this week, but the steering wheel still shakes. Because the driver's side front wheel had been curbed hard, I suspected it might be bent. So I took it to a wheel shop today, and they said it was bent but just barely, not enough to make any difference. They repair bent wheels all day, but didn't think this warranted any repair. I had them move it to the back, and drove home. Steering wheel still shakes and pulls to the right. More pronounced at higher speeds.

This car is quiet as a mouse and mechanically in great shape. I'm super bummed about the shimmy though and would appreciate feedback. I want to get this fixed.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-16, 05:01 PM
grunner58
Driver

"Alignments" are not all created equal! My 2004 LS430 went to a local Goodyear dealer who tried 2 times to align it. Took it to a Lexus dealer and on the first try it was perfect. Went back to Goodyear with results and they refunded my money. A hassle but a lesson learned!
Driving down the road without brakes applied is usually a balancing issue. A tire out of balance with vibrate and that is sent back to the steering wheel. If the balancing was done incorrectly, your front end was probably the same.
Go back, argue your case as vibration is not normal.
Old 08-13-16, 08:02 PM
LVPUNK
Driver

Originally Posted by grunner58
"Alignments" are not all created equal! My 2004 LS430 went to a local Goodyear dealer who tried 2 times to align it. Took it to a Lexus dealer and on the first try it was perfect. Went back to Goodyear with results and they refunded my money. A hassle but a lesson learned!
Driving down the road without brakes applied is usually a balancing issue. A tire out of balance with vibrate and that is sent back to the steering wheel. If the balancing was done incorrectly, your front end was probably the same.
Go back, argue your case as vibration is not normal.
What symptoms were you experiencing?

Just to be clear my car did this prior to my new tires/alignment as well as now. It was the only thing that came up in the PPI. The alignment shop said they only had to set the toe and everything else was fine. Tire shop said everything is balanced. Wheel shop said wheels are ok, with the exception a very small bend in rim, but that went to the rear and nothing changed.

Not sure where to start with this. Take the tires back to be re-balanced first?
Old 08-14-16, 08:18 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVPUNK
What symptoms were you experiencing?

Just to be clear my car did this prior to my new tires/alignment as well as now. It was the only thing that came up in the PPI. The alignment shop said they only had to set the toe and everything else was fine. Tire shop said everything is balanced. Wheel shop said wheels are ok, with the exception a very small bend in rim, but that went to the rear and nothing changed.

Not sure where to start with this. Take the tires back to be re-balanced first?
I am gonna be frank with you most people that work at dealerships, quick lubes, and mechanics shops are complete morons who i would not let rotate my tires, that being said they probably f-ed something up with the wheel weights, alignment, or your rim is really bent maybe a combo of all three. I had to take my women's car back to mavis tire 4 times and spent $800 on tires over a 3-4 month period due to them not doing my aligment properly. I ended up getting $400 back from mavis corporate but I that is another story.
I would have them rebalance the tires and tell them to re-do the aligment as well on there dime because something clearly wrong and was not done properly. Thats just my opinion.
Old 08-15-16, 01:20 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel your pain pulling and shakes can be a PITA. You mention various shops. I suggest you find a good Toyota dealer or Indy and trust them to do all your work so they get to know your can. Ron Donini the car doctor "a good mechanic is priceless" and usually they offer fair pricing when you get to know them
Old 08-15-16, 03:43 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not experienced a shimmy on the Lexus but on other cars, a highway speed shimmy in the steering without brakes being applied usually was a result of poor tire balancing and/or alignment. Where did you get your alignment done? Get a second opinion from a place that has a Hunter Roadforce setup - calibrate your YAW sensor after the alignment and balancing.

When in for alignment, take a look at the ball joints and bushings in the general suspension. Wouldn't guess it to be bushing related but who knows! Might as well check other things out.

Old 08-16-16, 03:15 PM
LVPUNK
Driver

Had the wheels checked again. They are fine. Tires are also balanced.

However it appears the car has been in a wreck on the front passenger side and was repainted within the last year or two. Also it was pointed out to me by the tire shop that the clearance on the control arms are much different on L/R. You can barely get one finger between the tire and control arm on the passenger side. My guess is that something bent on that passenger side when it got hit. Would explain why it pulls to the right and new tires/alignment did nothing. Trying to get it to a Lexus shop tomorrow to get a diagnosis.

Carfax was clean (I know, I know, it's a joke) and Lexus of Reno gave it a green light on PPI. SMH. Pretty bummed.

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I feel your pain pulling and shakes can be a PITA. You mention various shops. I suggest you find a good Toyota dealer or Indy and trust them to do all your work so they get to know your can. Ron Donini the car doctor "a good mechanic is priceless" and usually they offer fair pricing when you get to know them
We have two great Toyota/Lexus Indy shops here that I've dealt with in the past and I think are fair/honest. I'll be going there Wed or Thursday.

Last edited by LVPUNK; 08-16-16 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 04:27 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Had the wheels checked again. They are fine. Tires are also balanced.

However it appears the car has been in a wreck on the front passenger side and was repainted within the last year or two. Also it was pointed out to me by the tire shop that the clearance on the control arms are much different on L/R. You can barely get one finger between the tire and control arm on the passenger side. My guess is that something bent on that passenger side when it got hit. Would explain why it pulls to the right and new tires/alignment did nothing. Trying to get it to a Lexus shop tomorrow to get a diagnosis.

Carfax was clean (I know, I know, it's a joke) and Lexus of Reno gave it a green light on PPI. SMH. Pretty bummed.

We have two great Toyota/Lexus Indy shops here that I've dealt with in the past and I think are fair/honest. I'll be going there Wed or Thursday.
Dude get rid of the car it sounds like the frame is tweaked basically the car will never drive right ever unless they put it on a rotisserie and that will be way more than the car is worth. Go back to were you bought it raise hell.
Old 08-18-16, 05:20 PM
LVPUNK
Driver

Lexus shop said suspension was fine. That an ABS bracket or something was bent at some point and that's what the wheel shop thought was my control arm. Nice guy...no charge.

Sent it back to the original tire shop (Discount tires) rebalanced them, and found one tire that had vertical movement on balancer. He remounted that one, balanced it and moved it towards the back. Car now drives almost perfect-best since I've had it. I will drive it around for a while and see how it drives out. If my OCD kicks in, I'll take them somewhere else to get the road force balance.
Old 08-18-16, 06:15 PM
WiscoShiby
4th Gear

Road force balancing is the way to go. I used to do it all the time. I've found that a lot of techs dread going through the whole process so instead they cram a bunch of weights on and say 'screw it, good enough'. I used to have people come in all the time with the exact same complaints and since little things like this drive my insane as well, I would actually put some effort into figuring it out. You were just encountering lazy techs who didn't want to spend an hour or more dealing with one wheel.
Old 08-19-16, 02:40 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

. If my OCD kicks in, I'll take them somewhere else to get the road force balance.
Rather than doing that, I'd ask Discount to replace that tire under warranty if you decide you're not satisfied. If you're dealing with the national chain that also competes with Tire Rack, I've been very pleased with my few dealings with them. Check the tire warranty and Discount's satisfaction policy now to make sure you don't miss a 30, 60, or 90-day cutoff on that.
Old 08-21-16, 06:48 PM
LVPUNK
Driver

Originally Posted by vfr700f2
Rather than doing that, I'd ask Discount to replace that tire under warranty if you decide you're not satisfied. If you're dealing with the national chain that also competes with Tire Rack, I've been very pleased with my few dealings with them. Check the tire warranty and Discount's satisfaction policy now to make sure you don't miss a 30, 60, or 90-day cutoff on that.
I agree and will take care of that tire tomorrow. I also agree that the GM has been terrific to deal with so far. Car drives soooo much nicer, but I still feel that steering wheel shaking a bit. I'd imagine it's that tire he remounted and moved to the rear.

Originally Posted by WiscoShiby
Road force balancing is the way to go. I used to do it all the time. I've found that a lot of techs dread going through the whole process so instead they cram a bunch of weights on and say 'screw it, good enough'. I used to have people come in all the time with the exact same complaints and since little things like this drive my insane as well, I would actually put some effort into figuring it out. You were just encountering lazy techs who didn't want to spend an hour or more dealing with one wheel.
Looking back on this I bet you're 100% right. I guess what threw me off was that was the same before and after I got the tires.