LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus dealer doing air suspension conversion to standard car.. 2,840$

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 07:56 PM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus dealer doing air suspension conversion to standard car.. 2,840$

I know a lot of you guys have done this yourself and or used quality aftermarket parts. That being said, my OCD just won't allow me.. The way I see it is this company is manufacturing perfection as close as we can have today. They made this car I love. So, they are going to do my conversion. I admit I started at a place called ProToy- a local shop of ex mechanics or persuaded ones from Lexus and Toyota. The guy working with me (the owner) told me what he was putting on my car and not asking me. Long story short, I told him I don't want a high performance German suspension in my Asian luxury car. Anything I asked her replied he didn't take orders.. I was like wtf... is this really happening? Where's the hidden caMerah? I ordered him to put my car back together and give me the keys.. I regress, what started this was his ordering Bilstein coil overs he thought was a kit, and was not. No caps or something or other, he would need 200 more bucks and keep my car for 4 days... Uh, no. Drove over to Lexus and told my parts guy what I just went through, he said hold on.... came back in 20 minuets with a complete list of Lexus parts for my car to be genuine Lexus ride and parts. A 12 month 12,000 mile warranty from Lexus. Talked to the Sr. forman and he said I can do it in 6 hours. 192$ more than the Bilstein and I've got Lexus parts, warranty and expert installation. Don't you guys agree that's the way to go? Well I've got there 2016 ES hybrid over the weekend while they work on mine.. also a free trip through the auto Butler wax system.
So I've never ridden in any other LS, how do the standard suspension cars ride? My owners manual describes the air ride as more controlled at any speed.. so I'm hoping the standard spring and shock set up is just plain mushy float boat grandma's couch ride.. anyone have views or opinions in the difference of the two? Also, here's the compiled list for standard suspension NOT sport- there's nothing wrong with my air shocks, I'm just paranoid.. wonder if I could sell Them? They said they look good.. here's the list anyone see anything missing? And difference in ride guys?

Lexus standard suspension parts required for air ride delete.
Old 08-12-16, 10:13 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Sewell used to sell a conversion kit that was the sport springs and shocks; I think it was about $1300 for the whole kit but this is a couple years ago. I think strutmasters also has a conversion kit; maybe check and see what that kit comes with.

All the coil-sprung LS's I've driven feel a little more plush than the AS car; the AS feels firmer but can be a little floaty; if that's possible. As for it not being a 'recommended' procedure I'm sure Lexus would rather charge you $1300 a strut to replace them; but there's nothing that different between the 2 cars than the air springs / shock assemblies, sensor arrays and the compressor / controller system.

As for the air shocks; sell them on ebay. My mechanic quoted me $900 a shock used; so they have some value.

Originally Posted by ToneyCross
I know a lot of you guys have done this yourself and or used quality aftermarket parts. That being said, my OCD just won't allow me.. The way I see it is this company is manufacturing perfection as close as we can have today. They made this car I love. So, they are going to do my conversion. I admit I started at a place called ProToy- a local shop of ex mechanics or persuaded ones from Lexus and Toyota. The guy working with me (the owner) told me what he was putting on my car and not asking me. Long story short, I told him I don't want a high performance German suspension in my Asian luxury car. Anything I asked her replied he didn't take orders.. I was like wtf... is this really happening? Where's the hidden caMerah? I ordered him to put my car back together and give me the keys.. I regress, what started this was his ordering Bilstein coil overs he thought was a kit, and was not. No caps or something or other, he would need 200 more bucks and keep my car for 4 days... Uh, no. Drove over to Lexus and told my parts guy what I just went through, he said hold on.... came back in 20 minuets with a complete list of Lexus parts for my car to be genuine Lexus ride and parts. A 12 month 12,000 mile warranty from Lexus. Talked to the Sr. forman and he said I can do it in 6 hours. 192$ more than the Bilstein and I've got Lexus parts, warranty and expert installation. Don't you guys agree that's the way to go? Well I've got there 2016 ES hybrid over the weekend while they work on mine.. also a free trip through the auto Butler wax system.
So I've never ridden in any other LS, how do the standard suspension cars ride? My owners manual describes the air ride as more controlled at any speed.. so I'm hoping the standard spring and shock set up is just plain mushy float boat grandma's couch ride.. anyone have views or opinions in the difference of the two? Also, here's the compiled list for standard suspension NOT sport- there's nothing wrong with my air shocks, I'm just paranoid.. wonder if I could sell Them? They said they look good.. here's the list anyone see anything missing? And difference in ride guys?

Old 08-13-16, 03:12 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I think it's a bad idea. no problems with a superior system and you want to kill it. why? what about the 2 buttons on the dash that will no longer have any function. OCD not. you could have bought a non UL for a lot less money, even maybe an '06 year model. the back seat toys are of no use to a driver. only the sweet air ride separates the UL from the rest of the LS 430 world. my non air rides like a Cadillac and is reliable like a Camery. best of both worlds.
Old 08-13-16, 03:19 AM
GrahamG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which year of LS430 please, is it the first iteration or the face lift model from 2004?

Very interested in this approach which would be my way to solve the air strut 'problem'.

My '04 LS430 rides on air and I preferred the ride on my 'steel' 1995 LS400.
Old 08-13-16, 08:46 AM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a 2001

Originally Posted by GrahamG
Which year of LS430 please, is it the first iteration or the face lift model from 2004?

Very interested in this approach which would be my way to solve the air strut 'problem'.

My '04 LS430 rides on air and I preferred the ride on my 'steel' 1995 LS400.
Old 08-13-16, 04:06 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price is too high. You can buy the same OEM parts online for less and have another shop install them. Except for longer springs and tighter spaces, there is nothing out of the ordinary when replacing struts in the LS430.
Old 08-13-16, 11:44 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2 cents to so whatever you will with.

Don't fix it if it is not broken. I struggled with going UL or not when I was looking to buy mine. I decided I wanted durability and minimal things to break so I went with the base car (non-navi/ML audio) that is still better than most new cars today. A UL was only $3500 more than I paid for my base 05 model. The thing I wish I had that the UL does is the additional leather on the door panels and console. The wood is also nicer in the black interior ULs. As someone already said the back seat is useless to the driver so I don't miss the cooling, massage, side shades, or fridge. If it bothering you that much you might consider just moving to the mid grade models with navi/ML. In my area ULs almost never sell for over $20K any longer. With about 60-80K miles the 04-06 sell for around $15K. The 01-03 are closer to $10-12K mint but realistically they are sub $10K cars. Going into repairs that cost over 10-15% of what a whole car is worth is kind of questionable since you can just buy an identical car in similar or better condition instead of doing the repair. If there is sentimental value then the ratios do not apply at all.

The standard suspension rides excellent. It will smooth out bumpy roads without felling like you are in a large boat on the water. The new air shocks cost anywhere from $900-1200 each depending on the source. They use a rubber enclosure to pressurize the air so without a doubt it will completely fail one day as the rubber ages and a leak is formed. The plumbing also has rubber O rings so everywhere there is a connection there is a potential leak. Many people buy used air shocks and they do work out some of the time but it's just buying time and not a long term fix. The ULs were marketed to people who would just go to the dealer for everything and if something broke they would hand the service writer the key while saying "fix it and send me the bill" without even caring what it cost if they were out of warranty. That is well and good for people with that lifestyle. Everyone else does not have such luxury so these kind of features become money pits requiring putting more cash into a depreciating asset. The Lexus dealer where I bought mine mentioned they no longer take any european car/SUV with air suspension in as a trade because they have been burned many times where the car looks fine but once they make the sale and have the used car on their lot the suspension will completely collapse on one corner after sitting 7-10 days. They have a multimillion dollar garage and their own mechanics to fix the cars using OEM parts at wholesale prices yet they still lose money on fixing the air suspension to make the used car acceptable to be sold. My salesman told me the dealer will suggest the customer go to Carmax to sell their old car since it can not be taken as a trade.

Short answer: Don't convert; drive it until it breaks (then fix only the faulty air suspension part) or trade down now.
Old 08-16-16, 07:40 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by texan_176
My 2 cents to so whatever you will with.

Don't fix it if it is not broken. I struggled with going UL or not when I was looking to buy mine. I decided I wanted durability and minimal things to break so I went with the base car (non-navi/ML audio) that is still better than most new cars today. A UL was only $3500 more than I paid for my base 05 model. The thing I wish I had that the UL does is the additional leather on the door panels and console. The wood is also nicer in the black interior ULs. As someone already said the back seat is useless to the driver so I don't miss the cooling, massage, side shades, or fridge. If it bothering you that much you might consider just moving to the mid grade models with navi/ML. In my area ULs almost never sell for over $20K any longer. With about 60-80K miles the 04-06 sell for around $15K. The 01-03 are closer to $10-12K mint but realistically they are sub $10K cars. Going into repairs that cost over 10-15% of what a whole car is worth is kind of questionable since you can just buy an identical car in similar or better condition instead of doing the repair. If there is sentimental value then the ratios do not apply at all.

The standard suspension rides excellent. It will smooth out bumpy roads without felling like you are in a large boat on the water. The new air shocks cost anywhere from $900-1200 each depending on the source. They use a rubber enclosure to pressurize the air so without a doubt it will completely fail one day as the rubber ages and a leak is formed. The plumbing also has rubber O rings so everywhere there is a connection there is a potential leak. Many people buy used air shocks and they do work out some of the time but it's just buying time and not a long term fix. The ULs were marketed to people who would just go to the dealer for everything and if something broke they would hand the service writer the key while saying "fix it and send me the bill" without even caring what it cost if they were out of warranty. That is well and good for people with that lifestyle. Everyone else does not have such luxury so these kind of features become money pits requiring putting more cash into a depreciating asset. The Lexus dealer where I bought mine mentioned they no longer take any european car/SUV with air suspension in as a trade because they have been burned many times where the car looks fine but once they make the sale and have the used car on their lot the suspension will completely collapse on one corner after sitting 7-10 days. They have a multimillion dollar garage and their own mechanics to fix the cars using OEM parts at wholesale prices yet they still lose money on fixing the air suspension to make the used car acceptable to be sold. My salesman told me the dealer will suggest the customer go to Carmax to sell their old car since it can not be taken as a trade.

Short answer: Don't convert; drive it until it breaks (then fix only the faulty air suspension part) or trade down now.
Great post.
Old 08-17-16, 04:01 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep. I wouldn't even consider doing this if I were you. Why spend that money when you don't have to? I have an 03 UL that I've owned since new and it has been anything but a money pit. Agree that most of the stuff in the back is useless (exept for the window shades and dual-laminated glass). However, I kept my eyes peeled on Craigslist and jumped at a set of Sport springs and shocks from a low mileage 03 that the owner went to coilovers on. $250 for the whole thing. When/if my air goes out I'll swap those in and that'll be that.
Old 08-20-16, 08:36 AM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Default Conversion by Lexus complete! Awesome--

I picked up my LS430 yesterday and man oh man is the new ride nice! It's just what I was hoping it would be to say the least.i have my timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets on both sides, spark plug tube seals, and both idler pulleys replaced.. total spent at dealer was $5,650.38 and was well worth it. The car has a history in the Lexus system and shows all work done by certified Lexus tech. I wouldn't do it any other way. Excellence.. the first time.and a free $250 Lexus level full detail thrown in for free. Also the parts department gave me these cool LED puddle light kits that show Lexus on the ground when the doors are opened. And all the warranted for a year unlimited miles.now I have air shocks to get rid of..4 perfect ones..

Originally Posted by ToneyCross