Steering wheel adjustment not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 07:00 AM
axoskar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel adjustment not working properly

Hi!

My first post here as i recently bought an LS430 UL from 2002. The car is in very nice condition and has only run 170000km (not sure in miles).

But its an old car and its has its defects. Ive spent the last few days searching the www and here but i really cant find my problem anywhere. So i try to post it here and see if anyone can help?

You are supposed to be able to adjust the steering wheel up and down and in and out with the joystick. I can adjust in and out but up and down has som issues. it simpley doesent do anything when trying the joystick up and down. BUT if i do it 8 times in a row it moves a little bit and if i do it again it moves again. But only if i try 8 times in a row.

Yesterday i removed the small motor under the steering wheel just to see if anything was wrong with it, gave it some lube and refitted but still the same. Only when clicking 8 times it will move. Im not sure if this is related but when i turn the ignition ON nothing happens with the steering wheel, i have to manually adjust it towards me. When turning the igntion OFF it automaticly retracts. But it will never extend, i have to do that myself.

Hopefully if explained so that everybody can understand, English is not my native language .

Oskar

Last edited by axoskar; 08-12-16 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Model year
Old 08-12-16, 08:46 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by axoskar
Hi!

My first post here as i recently bought an LS430 UL from 2002. The car is in very nice condition and has only run 170000km (not sure in miles).

But its an old car and its has its defects. Ive spent the last few days searching the www and here but i really cant find my problem anywhere. So i try to post it here and see if anyone can help?

You are supposed to be able to adjust the steering wheel up and down and in and out with the joystick. I can adjust in and out but up and down has som issues. it simpley doesent do anything when trying the joystick up and down. BUT if i do it 8 times in a row it moves a little bit and if i do it again it moves again. But only if i try 8 times in a row.

Yesterday i removed the small motor under the steering wheel just to see if anything was wrong with it, gave it some lube and refitted but still the same. Only when clicking 8 times it will move. Im not sure if this is related but when i turn the ignition ON nothing happens with the steering wheel, i have to manually adjust it towards me. When turning the igntion OFF it automaticly retracts. But it will never extend, i have to do that myself.

Hopefully if explained so that everybody can understand, English is not my native language .

Oskar
If you search the forum for "Steering Column" you will find several threads on this subject. The tilt and telescope steering column mechanism and motors are a rare weak spot in the overall excellent reliability of the LS430. The dealer can certainly fix it by replacing motors and parts but it is fairly expensive. There are varies trouble shooting tips and diy fixes along with pics in some of the previous threads/posts on this subject.

The automatic positioning and retraction of the steering column is a programmable setting in the car's CBEST settings (basically firmware in the LS430's ECM). If you have Toyota Techstream software and interface cable you can set/modify CBEST settings/options yourself, if not, a Dealer can modify the settings for you. Typical charge would be 30 min labor.

Here is an example of one searchable thread -
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...4-ls430-2.html

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-12-16 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-14-16, 08:33 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If you search the forum for "Steering Column" you will find several threads on this subject. The tilt and telescope steering column mechanism and motors are a rare weak spot in the overall excellent reliability of the LS430. The dealer can certainly fix it by replacing motors and parts but it is fairly expensive. There are varies trouble shooting tips and diy fixes along with pics in some of the previous threads/posts on this subject.

The automatic positioning and retraction of the steering column is a programmable setting in the car's CBEST settings (basically firmware in the LS430's ECM). If you have Toyota Techstream software and interface cable you can set/modify CBEST settings/options yourself, if not, a Dealer can modify the settings for you. Typical charge would be 30 min labor.

Here is an example of one searchable thread -
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...4-ls430-2.html
Another thread that discusses ways to correct the problem more permanently;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/828934-1998-2006-telescopic-steering-solution.html