LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 LS 430 105k - would you buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 05:13 PM
Macattak1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LS 430 105k - would you buy this?

What would you want to know? I am new to the Lexus arena. Especially the 2002 one.

https://www.infinitioftampa.com/used...e36e8a36a8.htm

Concerned about costs for repairs going forward...
All input appreciated.
Old 08-06-16, 07:44 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I have no idea about price, but a bit suspicious about the ad itself. It appears to be a bare bones base model, not that that is a bad thing itself, but all the options listed are standard equipment! The only option I can see is the chrome wheels. The car visually looks like it is in pretty good condition. I don't think the dealer knows much about this car. Just my observation and opinion.
Old 08-06-16, 07:48 PM
rileydawg
Driver School Candidate

looks clean actually. I have an 02' that just cracked 160k mileage. Test all the electronics, brakes, suspension. Find another one to drive the same model in the area and compare.

Do you like the color?

Old 08-06-16, 08:22 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

In looking up the vehicle service records, appears to have been maintained by Lexus of Tampa. Small dent repair at 18K that did not require paint, road side jump start later on.... All regular maintenance at Lexus...

Could be a good one.....

Old 08-06-16, 08:39 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks very clean in the pics. Condition is everything on a 14+ year-old car. Check all Lexus maintenance history, especially make sure the timing belt & water pump were done around the 90K mile mark. If not, negotiate down since that is a required maintenance item. Average dealer cost ~ +/- $900.
Old 08-07-16, 12:53 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd say hire a used car inspection service that uses an ASE certified mechanic. It will cost between $150-200 but IMHO it is worth it to know what you are getting. They test everything from how much voltage the alternator is putting out to inspecting for paint/body work. They will go under the car and check for leaks and worn suspension parts, etc.

It is checks out okay I think it is worth buying it for that price. Of course it needs some TLC with the leather and the emblems look to be oxidized but for that kind of money people buy base econobox cars with under 100 horsepower so a full size V8 RWD car is worth it. If it is still there at the end of the month go on the last day and haggle (be reasonable though). Depending on the local laws the dealers pay inventory taxes and HATE to keep cars on the lot into the next month. The final week of the month is the best time to buy.
Old 08-07-16, 07:47 AM
Macattak1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rileydawg
Do you like the color?
I love the color. I personally do not want a Black car with Black interior in Tampa, Fl. No thanks.
I also dislike silver. Every car on the road is silver. Cant find it in the parking lot when I come out of the store. Also, blends in with most road surfaces and can not see them in the rain coming at me nearly as well as other colored vehicles.
I can always find my Blue F250 4x4 crew cab with camper shell in the parking lot when I come out of the store. My wife's silver Tahoe not so much.
Old 08-07-16, 07:50 AM
Macattak1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
In looking up the vehicle service records, appears to have been maintained by Lexus of Tampa. Small dent repair at 18K that did not require paint, road side jump start later on.... All regular maintenance at Lexus...

Could be a good one.....
Wow. Thanks. Was that a quick review on your part or are you actually stating that the car looks real clean service record wise? Thanks. You will not be held legally responsible for your opinion...

Thanks
Old 08-07-16, 07:55 AM
Macattak1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texan_176
I'd say hire a used car inspection service that uses an ASE certified mechanic. It will cost between $150-200 but IMHO it is worth it to know what you are getting. They test everything from how much voltage the alternator is putting out to inspecting for paint/body work. They will go under the car and check for leaks and worn suspension parts, etc.

It is checks out okay I think it is worth buying it for that price. Of course it needs some TLC with the leather and the emblems look to be oxidized but for that kind of money people buy base econobox cars with under 100 horsepower so a full size V8 RWD car is worth it. If it is still there at the end of the month go on the last day and haggle (be reasonable though). Depending on the local laws the dealers pay inventory taxes and HATE to keep cars on the lot into the next month. The final week of the month is the best time to buy.
Thanks! I may look into that. I am concerned about the cost of repairs and maintenance. Imports are often about 50% more in cost in just a simple brake job. A Lexus? 2x as much? Yes, I can do a brake job. But not a water pump and such on a high end machine. Mostly don't have the time. I put new injectors in a Tahoe. But that is about the extent of my skills... :|

So key is to find a good import/Toyota mechanic nearby.
Old 08-07-16, 08:01 AM
Macattak1
Driver School Candidate

Meh. Just saw that torn driver seat pad middle of seat. Hate that. My truck as 140k on it and it is in excellent shape. Perhaps it was a 300 lb man in and out every day...
Old 08-08-16, 08:20 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Macattak1
Wow. Thanks. Was that a quick review on your part or are you actually stating that the car looks real clean service record wise? Thanks. You will not be held legally responsible for your opinion...

Thanks
You can look for your self on the Lexus Owners site.... Once you setup an account, add the car's VIN to your list of cars and then look up the Service History. Appeared to be well maintained at Lexus of Tampa....
Old 08-09-16, 08:06 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4 Years ago this month I bought a 01 Base with 122,000. It just turned 225,000, it's given me no signs of wanting to quit. Like someone else above said, it's a base model and not a bad thing. No air suspension or Nav to go bad.... According to Car Gurus, price is inline for retail, still research it, if the only issue is the arm pad, it's a cheap fix at an upholstery shop. Or make the dealer fix it…. Cheap for them to fix it as well, they have upholstery shops on call, I’m sure.

Just for the peace of mind and again quoting someone else above, find an independent shop to take it to for a prebuy inspection.

As I'm sure you have read these are great cars, even better if you can DYI, they can get pricey to continue to maintain at the dealer. If you can’t DYI, find a good independent shop or a lot of owners go to Toyota dealers for less cost.

I do all of my own work, in the past 4 years outside of maintenance items, (brakes, tires, timing belt and oil changes) I doubt I have spent over $400 on failing items (1 coil pack and oil control valve). Not too bad for 100,000 plus miles.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it works out.

Steve
Old 08-09-16, 03:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6
4 Years ago this month I bought a 01 Base with 122,000. It just turned 225,000, it's given me no signs of wanting to quit. Like someone else above said, it's a base model and not a bad thing. No air suspension or Nav to go bad.... According to Car Gurus, price is inline for retail, still research it, if the only issue is the arm pad, it's a cheap fix at an upholstery shop. Or make the dealer fix it…. Cheap for them to fix it as well, they have upholstery shops on call, I’m sure.

Just for the peace of mind and again quoting someone else above, find an independent shop to take it to for a prebuy inspection.

As I'm sure you have read these are great cars, even better if you can DYI, they can get pricey to continue to maintain at the dealer. If you can’t DYI, find a good independent shop or a lot of owners go to Toyota dealers for less cost.

I do all of my own work, in the past 4 years outside of maintenance items, (brakes, tires, timing belt and oil changes) I doubt I have spent over $400 on failing items (1 coil pack and oil control valve). Not too bad for 100,000 plus miles.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it works out.

Steve
When we were still able to buy our LS430s from the 1st or 2nd owner, we had a good chance the cars were maintained properly, with relatively few problems, and a fair amount of life left. As these wonderful machines are aging, they are now changing hands to 3,4, and 5+ owners and naturally the care for them has diminished. The LS430 in a few years will be a common aged used car with pricing between 3500-5000 and finding a fairly healthy one will be somewhat difficult. Looking today and in the future, low mileage well maintained cars are the best bet and the prices will no longer be insane although somewhat higher than a beater. Let's enjoy them while we can. Sorry if I side stepped from the original thread, but personally, If the car is well maintained and checks out with minimum issues, go for it. These cars are still fairly expensive to repair and maintain.
Old 08-09-16, 05:08 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Given the service history, that looks to be a winner. Especially considering the PO had it in 4000 miles prior to trading it in. That is a helluva a car for $7000, but I am afraid that the dealer fee will bump it up to around $7500.

Considering the mileage and service history, this really should be a car that will provide you with years of dependable transportation. It is a relatively spartan version, but many owners prefer LS's sans navigation.
Old 08-10-16, 08:24 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I cannot believe the Carfax on this car. I bet it was owned by a woman and she was getting ripped off big time by Lexus of Tampa Bay. It appears to have had three timing belts done and all by Lexus of Tamps Bay. I know that the 90,000 mile service includes the timing belt and also at 69,000 and again at 88,000. somebody has some explaining to do over there.

Quick Reply: 2002 LS 430 105k - would you buy this?