LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Why won't my 2004 LS430 accept gas ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 11:56 AM
ariescrown
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why won't my 2004 LS430 accept gas ?

For the first time when I went to the gas station to fill my tank All the gas pumped into the car spilled to the ground right behind my driver side passenger tire. Called three dealer service techs that don't have a clue as to what is going on. The tank was 3/4 fill when this happened. No hole in tank when car is parked not a drop hits the ground. Waited 4 hours went to another gas station and the same thing happened. When I use up my 3/4 of a tank I can't put any further gas in the car. I'm looking for possible causes of the malfunction and some ideas on what the cost might be. I have 48,000 miles on the car. Thank you.

Last edited by ariescrown; 08-02-16 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 04:15 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Fuel Inlet Hose detached, the fuel will spill while fueling including for the first 3/4 of the tank.
Old 08-02-16, 05:01 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ariescrown
For the first time when I went to the gas station to fill my tank All the gas pumped into the car spilled to the ground right behind my driver side passenger tire. Called three dealer service techs that don't have a clue as to what is going on. The tank was 3/4 fill when this happened. No hole in tank when car is parked not a drop hits the ground. Waited 4 hours went to another gas station and the same thing happened. When I use up my 3/4 of a tank I can't put any further gas in the car. I'm looking for possible causes of the malfunction and some ideas on what the cost might be. I have 48,000 miles on the car. Thank you.
Think this may be the same issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nk-issues.html

Doesn't seem to affect all of the cars, but it appears to be a manufacturing defect and there is a TSB for it.
Old 08-05-16, 11:23 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll get it straightened out shouldnt be a big problem,pretty weird though,good luck...
Old 08-05-16, 12:27 PM
ariescrown
Pit Crew

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Just to clarify the tank was 3/4 full before the malfunction. The gas came pouring down behind the rear passenger side tire below the gas intake area. Called 4 different Lexus dealers service departments and no one had any idea about this which freaked me out. Also upon my posting someone posted a detailed schematic of all the parts that go from intake to the engine. When I went back to see responses it was gone ? Have no idea what's going on with this whole Twilight Zone thing.
Old 08-06-16, 05:51 AM
ariescrown
Pit Crew

Thank you RKW 77080 from the great state of Texas. If they take off the rear bumper liner to see it will it allow them to work on it. In other words what do you think has to be done in order to repair the situation you described. Thanks.
Old 08-06-16, 09:28 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Thank you RKW 77080 from the great state of Texas. If they take off the rear bumper liner to see it will it allow them to work on it. In other words what do you think has to be done in order to repair the situation you described. Thanks.
They don't have to remove the rear bumper.

To access the fuel tank plumbing, they will need to remove the driver-side rear wheel; then the wheel housing liner behind it. There are nine (9) 10mm nuts, two (2) hex head screws, one (1) 10mm Phillips head screws, and one (1) plastic clip. Once the wheel housing liner is removed, they will have access to the plumbing parts to make the necessary repair. Most likely all they need to do is to reconnect the rubber "Fuel Inlet Hose" back to the "Fuel Tank Inlet Pipe".
Old 08-07-16, 08:42 PM
ariescrown
Pit Crew

Thanks again RKW77080. Really appreciate your help and expertise in this matter. All of the techs at 4 lexus dealer service depts. didn't have a clue. Some members mentioned a specific TBS number for this problem. Does any one know the TBS number for this problem..
Old 08-08-16, 03:54 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Thanks again RKW77080. Really appreciate your help and expertise in this matter. All of the techs at 4 lexus dealer service depts. didn't have a clue. Some members mentioned a specific TBS number for this problem. Does any one know the TBS number for this problem..
Attache is the TSB you are looking for...
Attached Files
Old 08-08-16, 06:11 PM
ariescrown
Pit Crew

Well Finally Got the Bottom line on my problem with the fuel loss problem. The Lexus service mechanic said that the fuel intake hose had a hole in it I guess due to fuel eating away at it for 12 years. My Endurance warrantee company said although the fuel line is fully covered they do not pay for hoses. The cost is $364 + tax Total $395.85. I'm told this car when brand new cost $85,000. Why the hell do the put a rubber on the gas line that wears out like that. I'm calling Lexus corporate customer service tomorrow to complain. You guys were right on target with your diagnosis, Thanks for all.
Old 08-08-16, 07:09 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Please ask the Lexus service mechanic to show you on the drawing which rubber hose that costs $364. If he/she is talking about the big rubber hose leading to the fuel tank, it costs $30.54. Here is the link to one of many Lexus dealers that sell OEM parts online:
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...=fuel%20intake
The rubber hose we are talking about here is 77213B.
Old 08-09-16, 08:44 AM
ariescrown
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Please ask the Lexus service mechanic to show you on the drawing which rubber hose that costs $364. If he/she is talking about the big rubber hose leading to the fuel tank, it costs $30.54. Here is the link to one of many Lexus dealers that sell OEM parts online:
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...=fuel%20intake
The rubber hose we are talking about here is 77213B.
. Thanks Again rkw77080 You saved me a lot of time , aggravation and money during this upsetting time. I live in NYC if you ever come to NY let me know, you have a friend in NY. I'll be your guide and dinner is on me. All the best . Tom
Old 08-09-16, 12:32 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

You're very welcome, Tom. Please let us know how things go, and thanks for the dinner in advance.
Old 08-09-16, 08:14 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

You and rkw should get a big discount for diagnosing the problem and teaching the Lexus mechs what TSB applies. $4 bills for this straight-forward fix is really on the high end. Bring it to an indy or even a Toyota dealer with rkw's attachments. The $$ you save will pay for the dinner with rkw -- even in the big apple.
Old 08-10-16, 04:49 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Well Finally Got the Bottom line on my problem with the fuel loss problem. The Lexus service mechanic said that the fuel intake hose had a hole in it I guess due to fuel eating away at it for 12 years. My Endurance warrantee company said although the fuel line is fully covered they do not pay for hoses. The cost is $364 + tax Total $395.85. I'm told this car when brand new cost $85,000. Why the hell do the put a rubber on the gas line that wears out like that. I'm calling Lexus corporate customer service tomorrow to complain. You guys were right on target with your diagnosis, Thanks for all.
I wonder if the forced upon Ethanol that pollutes our fuel might be a culprit. And $85,000 might be what it would cost after taxes and finance fees. Absolute max is around $74,000.

Quick Reply: Why won't my 2004 LS430 accept gas ?