LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Original Key Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 03:34 PM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Key Fob?

I have combed over eBay and Amazon for an original Lexus master key remote.. Can you guys tell me how these work? I assume there is the remote electronic part and then a shell? Can I buy only the electronics part and put it in a shell? Also, if I buy a blank who or how can I get it cut to work my car? I really want a key original look with Lexus emblem.. Any info and suggestions would be appreciated-
Old 07-30-16, 11:18 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the proximity smart key or fob with blade?

proximity smart key

non-proximity key

i don't know about the smart key but the non-smart key is widely available on ebay as:
1) new, just a shell with uncut blade (use your existing circuit board)
2) new, complete uncut with board (requires programming)
-- in both OEM and aftermarket solutions.
a lot of times the sellers will laser cut the purchased key for you for free or a nominal fee if you provide the VIN.
or your local locksmith can cut a copy on the new blank for about 30 dollars or so.

you can also get the valet/transponder only (no remote functions) key uncut in both OEM and aftermarket solutions as well.
it looks like this

there are free programming instructions on the forum and elsewhere on the internet as well.
Old 07-31-16, 12:13 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneyCross
I have combed over eBay and Amazon for an original Lexus master key remote.. Can you guys tell me how these work? I assume there is the remote electronic part and then a shell? Can I buy only the electronics part and put it in a shell? Also, if I buy a blank who or how can I get it cut to work my car? I really want a key original look with Lexus emblem.. Any info and suggestions would be appreciated-
If you have the standard key fob, it is composed of a shell and an electronic control unit inside. You can purchase a new shell from ebay, remove and transfer the control unit to it, then
get the new shaft ground at a locksmith. This way you will not need any reprogramming or any intervention from Lexus.

The factory shell always cracks near the shaft and will most likely need to be replaced at some point. In my case, I ordered two "Denso" shells from China on ebay for $15 and they are still working two years later. They have the Lexus "L" in gold on it so it looks factory and I suspect they have even improved on the OEM design.

I went to my Lexus dealer to ask them if they could cut the new shaft, but they referred me to a shop down the road to save me some cash. Getting the new shell ground was the most expensive part. They shop charged my $15 for each one. Note that the key geometry is on the side of the shaft, which means they will need a special machine to grind it. However, I believe that most locksmiths will have this sort of machine.

Last edited by Arcturus; 07-31-16 at 12:17 PM.