LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

03 LS 430 Caliper is too large for new rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 08:38 AM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 LS 430 Caliper is too large for new rims

I bought some new 18" rims for my ride but the stock caliper is so bulky that they had to use a slim spacer to offset the rim because the back of the spokes hit the caliper. That spacer pushed the wheel/tire out just far enough to cause some rubbing issues on the fender lip.

Are there any options for a slimmer caliper? I cant return the wheels so I am stuck, but I may have to ultimately change to an aftermarket caliper (maybe the Bembro's would not hit the wheel?? Alternative ideas?? Thanks
Old 07-26-16, 09:46 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes. The LS were fitted with big brake calipers. Most people run spacers to cheat the caliper issue. You'd be crazy to get slimmer calipers, not even sure if that's even an option. The bigger calipers gives you greater stopping power.

Anoyher solution ion for you is to have your fenders "rolled". Not sure if you are familiar with it but it's when they pull off the black thin fender tab and roll the inside of the fender to elimate your rubbing issue. Everybody does it. So don't be scared.
Old 07-26-16, 10:01 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Wheel and tire specs? Define slim spacer? The easiest is as yoitskenn mentions by rolling or shaving the fender, that is good for about 3/8-1/2" additional.
Old 07-26-16, 10:02 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont get new calipers the stock ls430 are 4 piston calipers and the brembo " brake upgrade" for are cars are also 4 piston so there really is no reasonable caliper upgrade you could do brembo pads which are $102 for front and rear. Your best bet is wheel spacers or sell the rims you have now and get proper fitting ones best of luck.
Old 07-26-16, 10:49 AM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jks24
Dont get new calipers the stock ls430 are 4 piston calipers and the brembo " brake upgrade" for are cars are also 4 piston so there really is no reasonable caliper upgrade you could do brembo pads which are $102 for front and rear. Your best bet is wheel spacers or sell the rims you have now and get proper fitting ones best of luck.
Yes. The LS were fitted with big brake calipers. Most people run spacers to cheat the caliper issue. You'd be crazy to get slimmer calipers, not even sure if that's even an option. The bigger calipers gives you greater stopping power.

Anoyher solution ion for you is to have your fenders "rolled". Not sure if you are familiar with it but it's when they pull off the black thin fender tab and roll the inside of the fender to elimate your rubbing issue. Everybody does it. So don't be scared.
Word !!

I will be doing my best rolling tonight,, thanks !!
Old 07-26-16, 10:53 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Wheel and tire specs? Define slim spacer? The easiest is as yoitskenn mentions by rolling or shaving the fender, that is good for about 3/8-1/2" additional.
Yes! Define slim. Is it 3mm or 5mm or 10mm. Please be aware that anything above 5mm will require longer studs. Some folks run 5mm on the stock studs which is not recommended.

Anyways do you have pictures showing how much you are sticking out causing the rub.

You might want to run a thinner tire as well. I think in your other post you are running 8" on 245/45/18
Old 07-26-16, 10:57 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Calicraig2
Word !!

I will be doing my best rolling tonight,, thanks !!
have you ever rolled fenders before? Not sure how deep "in the game" you are but...rolling lexus fenders cause little dimples to show on the fenders. Another technique that is used is a rubber mallet.
Old 07-26-16, 01:22 PM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
Yes! Define slim. Is it 3mm or 5mm or 10mm. Please be aware that anything above 5mm will require longer studs. Some folks run 5mm on the stock studs which is not recommended.

Anyways do you have pictures showing how much you are sticking out causing the rub.

You might want to run a thinner tire as well. I think in your other post you are running 8" on 245/45/18
I will have to check out the actual thickness,,, i will be working on this tomorrow nite,, I have an old wood bat that works pretty well... I will take some pics... Thanks again guys
Old 07-26-16, 02:43 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

goes to show how important it is to check wheel specifications before purchase.
There are reasons why a manufacturer supplies information about the ET (offset) in millimeters to make sure the caliper of a specific car model will fit with the right wheel.
IMHO sell the wheels and get proper fitting wheels rather than playing around with spacers, extra-long studs - all will cost as much as you would loose on the sale of the wheel.
Above all safety is the most important part of the whole issue. You dont want a gravestone imprint with RIP surrounded by the chrome wheels
Old 07-26-16, 07:51 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DO NOT roll the fenders and DO NOT replace the calipers. And to you boneheads above telling him to roll em, might be a good idea for you to know what you're talking about before giving advice.

If you try to roll these fenders, even with a proper rolling tool (NOT a bat), you will be sorely disappointed. The steel is double-wall and has a few drilled holes in the lip for the plastic lip protector. These features will result in a dimpled exterior fender edge and very little roll anyways. Sorry but I'd recommend you lose the wheels and get new ones that fit properly. If you insist on keeping the wheels with the spacers, then your only option is to cut/shave the inside fender lip off just enough to clear the tire. If you're not skilled with a power tool then please take it to a good body shop to have it done.
Old 07-26-16, 08:50 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Cut your losses and sell or trade the wheels for other wheels that actually have the correct clearance.

It is an especially bad idea to think about using smaller or thinner brake calipers. Larger wheels and tires almost always weigh more and have increased diameter so they generate a way higher moment of inertia at speed (aka angular mass or rotational inertia). This means your brakes have to work much harder to stop the car with bigger wheels and tires than the same car with stock wheels and tires.

Putting oversize wheels and tires on a car or truck without a similar up sizing of the stock brake system can be dangerous. If the wheels and tires are big and heavy enough they can easily render the stock brake system significantly under powered.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-27-16 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 10:06 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ancdmd
DO NOT roll the fenders and DO NOT replace the calipers. And to you boneheads above telling him to roll em, might be a good idea for you to know what you're talking about before giving advice.

If you try to roll these fenders, even with a proper rolling tool (NOT a bat), you will be sorely disappointed. The steel is double-wall and has a few drilled holes in the lip for the plastic lip protector. These features will result in a dimpled exterior fender edge and very little roll anyways. Sorry but I'd recommend you lose the wheels and get new ones that fit properly. If you insist on keeping the wheels with the spacers, then your only option is to cut/shave the inside fender lip off just enough to clear the tire. If you're not skilled with a power tool then please take it to a good body shop to have it done.
my fenders are rolled. I have no dimples.

Lets say he does roll his fenders and it gives " very little roll " as you mentioned....maybe that's all he needs to elimate his rubbing issue.

I'm the bonehead who recommended he roll his fenders. And I also told him there's different ways to roll it. I rolled my fenders by using a rubber mallet. A accomplished what I needed without any dimples.
Old 07-26-16, 10:12 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

so I guess more than half of Us here on clublexus are boneheads.

Last edited by yoitskenn; 07-26-16 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 10:28 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd

I second this thought.

Rolling fenders is a cheap run a way from the problem. And in your case it was the mistake of not checking the correct ET to fit the big brakes the LS carries.
I've had my experience with rolling fenders. And it wasn't a very satisfying one, even though I had them done professionally. I ended up having to do body work on those fender lips because of the dimples that later on showed on the edges. It's just the way these fenders were manufactured as ancdmd described.

I'm ultimately getting new custom metal fenders made. Hate the day I had my fenders rolled.

And hey, to those who managed to make it work, good for you.
Old 07-27-16, 05:36 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally dont feel like 20 inch wheels will be detrimental to braking it all depends what the wheels are made of and if you put 30 inch rims on your car I yah you are gonna have a hard time braking. Anyways general consensus sell your rims buy new ones call the company first to make sure they fit

Quick Reply: 03 LS 430 Caliper is too large for new rims