LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

So is this the best used car for about $10,000????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 02:47 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default So is this the best used car for about $10,000????

Personally after some research, I feel like the LS430 is the best sedan you can possibly buy for that budget. I saw on this forum a really minty fresh navy blue/white leather 2001 LS430 with 50k miles for $10,500.

I'm not quite ready to buy a new car, maybe in 3-6 months, but just from what I've read the LS430 still has that old school Toyota mentality that we are the best, we make the highest quality car that stands the test of time and miles, we want you to drive your car for 25 years or 300,000 miles.

Right now I'm driving a 1992 SC300, 5 speed manual, always garaged and Lexus dealer maintained, 94,000 miles on her(bought with 61k back in 2011). Absolutely stunning car in terms of condition, but I feel I am really bored with this car. The thing is in our county we tailpipe emission test for cars back to model year 1975, so if I put a turbo on my SC300 it would not pass emissions.

So I'm kind of the mentality of dumping the SC300 and buying a newer, low mile LS430. The SC300 is nice, but I now have a 2000 Mazda Miata to carve corners and slam gears with, I have a cheapie 2004 Tacoma 2wd reg cab stripper to haul stuff with, so I'm kind of looking for a nice cruiser.

So should I spend the extra $5,000 for an upgraded LS430 vs my current 1992 SC300 5 speed with 94k miles, that I think is worth about $5000.
Old 07-21-16, 03:35 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

list the sc on ebay, 5 speeds are hard to come by and it also has under 100k miles. you would be suprised if you list it and im sure you'll get over 5k if its in good shape.
Old 07-21-16, 04:05 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lextout
list the sc on ebay, 5 speeds are hard to come by and it also has under 100k miles. you would be suprised if you list it and im sure you'll get over 5k if its in good shape.
You are right, I might get more than $5000 for the SC300, I just kind of set that figure in my mind as the absolute lowest amount I'd take for it. So anything more than that is just gravy. Ebay might be a good way to sell it, as rare/quirky cars generally get good $$$$ on ebay, because the 20 or so people on a nationwide basis look at ebay and might bid on your weird car.

I really just want back in the BIG 4 door luxo barge game. In the past I had a 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance, totally awesome car that handled/rode great but was a bit slow, even with the 5.7(350 Chevy) V8. I also had a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood with the LT1 V8, much faster than the 1991. I had that 1995 hopped up a bit with an intake, 3.73 rear gears, positrac,headers and full exhaust, reprogrammed computer,sticky tires, that 4400lb barge ran a best of 14.3@96mph.

I loved the feel of that big 1995 Fleetwood, that vast interior space, that road presence, that speed, that power, the big chrome bumpers on that car, the feel of it slamming you back into the seat when you hit the loud pedal. Main reason I sold it was due to some rust on the frame, but I also hated the interior on that car. It was stupidly cheap feeling, the dash was really ugly, it didn't give me that "special" feel that I had in my old 1991 Brougham.

I feel like the LS430 is now in my price range, it gives me that great performance/speed that I liked in my old 1995 Fleetwood, but has a bit more modern/luxurious feel about it, especially in the handling department. I know its built to a much higher standard, even though both of those old Cadillacs were very reliable for the 6 years that I owned both of them.

I know I can buy a newer 4 cylinder Camry or Accord for $10k, but really those cars kind of suck after you are used to a Lexus or Cadillac with the leather and more horsepower.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-21-16 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 05:48 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

If not the best, certainly in the uppermost tier. While gas mileage is stunning considering the weight and it being a V8, certainly not going to compare to said 4 cylinder Camry or Accord. The gas mileage is greatly enhanced by the aerodynamics.

Not for nothing, but a few years back, Yahoo did an article about the best used vehicle and while the LS was at the top (number 3), my prior vehicle the Lexus LX470 and its twin the Land Cruiser won the prize.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bp/car-de...181842236.html

I will say that I had my LX470 for 3 years and drove it 70,000 miles and sold it for $1500 less than I purchased it for and that was only due to a major fubar involving recycling and my rear door popping opening whilst loaded to the gills with said materials and rail of my garage door. A $4000 repair that needed to be done...
Old 07-21-16, 06:14 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Junglequac
If not the best, certainly in the uppermost tier. While gas mileage is stunning considering the weight and it being a V8, certainly not going to compare to said 4 cylinder Camry or Accord. The gas mileage is greatly enhanced by the aerodynamics.

Not for nothing, but a few years back, Yahoo did an article about the best used vehicle and while the LS was at the top (number 3), my prior vehicle the Lexus LX470 and its twin the Land Cruiser won the prize.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bp/car-de...181842236.html

I will say that I had my LX470 for 3 years and drove it 70,000 miles and sold it for $1500 less than I purchased it for and that was only due to a major fubar involving recycling and my rear door popping opening whilst loaded to the gills with said materials and rail of my garage door. A $4000 repair that needed to be done...

Dude, I'd love me a Land Cruiser(or Lexus LX), but those things are so damn expensive used I just fail to find any value in them. Same thing with used 4Runners, very nice trucks but for 10k you are looking at a 2006 4Runner with 150k miles in decent shape, a Land Cruiser is more than that. Plus they get 10-15mpg, while the LS is more like 17-25mpg, A LOT FASTER, and handles a lot nicer.
Old 07-21-16, 06:20 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Dude, I'd love me a Land Cruiser(or Lexus LX), but those things are so damn expensive used I just fail to find any value in them. Same thing with used 4Runners, very nice trucks but for 10k you are looking at a 2006 4Runner with 150k miles in decent shape, a Land Cruiser is more than that. Plus they get 10-15mpg, while the LS is more like 17-25mpg, A LOT FASTER, and handles a lot nicer.
That last sentence is exactly why I sold it. After turning it into a overlanding vehicle with BFG All Terrain KO2's and other goodies, it was a bloody miracle when I got 300 miles all highway with a 25.1 gallon fuel tank.

And while I do not disagree with your points about the 4Runner, its build quality pales in comparison as well it should considering the price delta. That said, it is one of the few if only SUV's that it can be said does so.

All that said, I am pretty confident that my LX470 would have kept its value for many more years than what the LS will. That said, I am truly happy with my decision.
Old 07-21-16, 07:57 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

buy a 430 you will not regret it.
Old 07-21-16, 08:17 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

In a word YES.

I've had at least one Lexus in the fleet for the last 15 years. The 430 I have had about 3 weeks and it impresses me on every drive with the ride quality, power, and attention to detail. The LS is one of the last old school Toyota made to go to 300K miles as you mentioned. The newer models are packed with so many electronics and computer controlled everything that it will make no economic sense to spend 20-40% of what the whole car is worth on repairs once they get to be 10-15 years old. They will go the way of many BMW and Mercedes where after the warranty is out and ownership of the car changes hands it ends up in the junkyard in the next few years.

The value you get for the money with 430s is stunning. I see people spend $15-20K on generic newer cars like Altima or Camry 4 cly models with plastic everything interiors and cheap cheap cheap build. I suppose this is caused by the myth that large luxury cars cost $3-5K a year in repairs and maintenance so people flock to newer cars and are okay with paying those kinds of prices for so little car.

Depending on where you live the 09+ Acura RL is also an excellent used car value. AWD in the snow/ice can not be beaten. The newer RLX has the aforementioned too many electronics problem in it.
Old 07-21-16, 08:19 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

screw putting it on ebay. Put is on Bringatrailer.com. Great place for sellers of unique cars.
Old 07-22-16, 12:36 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

hands down the best used car value that you will find. do it and don't look back. the 430 is bullet proof and an incredibly smooth ride- it's a big, heavy tank but incredibly fuel efficient (considering) and still a good looking car. you may want to consider one without nav to lower the price a little (although you may not be able to get the levinson sound without it having nav; not sure).

this is personal preference of styling, but i would buy a 2004-2006 as the updates to the headlights and tail lights and the 5 star rims change the look of the car significantly compared to the 2001-2003. if you are specifically looking in the LS 430 family, i would probably buy a 2005 because they fixed a minor low-speed shifting hesitation in the 2004's (I have a 2004 so I can vouch for the occasional hesitation). if you're looking to spend $10k you're going to be looking at higher miles, but don't be scared of a well-kept '05 with 100k or more miles as long as the timing belt and water pump have been serviced as that will save you some $$ on having to pay for it yourself. i have 237k on the odometer - i bought it in may 2008 with 70k miles. i did the timing belt and water pump at 90k, 180k, spark plugs whenever that is recommended, and that's all i have had to do other than normal oil service.

every time someone rides in my car they are blown away by how silent it is and how smooth it drives. i have a friend with a 2015 infiniti Q70L and he says my LS rides "way better" than his car. being that my car is almost 13 years old and at 237k miles, it's not worth anything to someone other than me. i added streaming blue tooth to my stock radio so now i have every piece of technology i want in my car and even less motivation to sell it.

one more note- to this day i still love the look of 1998-2000 LS 400's - in particular the "coach" edition. that is an absolutely classic car- and the LS 400 is bullet proof just like the 430 (I had a 96 LS before moving to the 04 LS). i still think the seats of my '96 were more comfortable than the ones in my '04 and you can get a really well maintained 98-00 for $7k-$8k no problem. you may want to give those a look - if you like the look of those you could almost swap your SC for one price-wise.

Old 07-22-16, 01:00 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Old 07-22-16, 04:52 PM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, it's a somewhat unique vehicle in the sense that:
1. it's incredibly reliable,
2. it's luxurious,
3. we're hitting the sweet spot of the depreciation curve,
4. these cars somehow didn't get driven all that much and there's a bunch them that were well-cared for, and finally
5. there's insufficient knowledge in the market of 1,2,3, and 4 so you can easily find the one that suits you.
Old 07-22-16, 06:51 PM
awdxtc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just paid a bit under $6000 for one and I feel it's worth twice what I paid.
Old 07-22-16, 07:29 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

We are 12 years into owning our 2001 LS acquired in 2004. Now my daily driver, I have to say it remains a great car to drive every day and the value of these cars far outstrip even new, mid $50K sedans. Finding one well maintained should be quickly grabbed up and coveted.....
Old 07-23-16, 01:04 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
hands down the best used car value that you will find. do it and don't look back. the 430 is bullet proof and an incredibly smooth ride- it's a big, heavy tank but incredibly fuel efficient (considering) and still a good looking car. you may want to consider one without nav to lower the price a little (although you may not be able to get the levinson sound without it having nav; not sure).

this is personal preference of styling, but i would buy a 2004-2006 as the updates to the headlights and tail lights and the 5 star rims change the look of the car significantly compared to the 2001-2003. if you are specifically looking in the LS 430 family, i would probably buy a 2005 because they fixed a minor low-speed shifting hesitation in the 2004's (I have a 2004 so I can vouch for the occasional hesitation). if you're looking to spend $10k you're going to be looking at higher miles, but don't be scared of a well-kept '05 with 100k or more miles as long as the timing belt and water pump have been serviced as that will save you some $$ on having to pay for it yourself. i have 237k on the odometer - i bought it in may 2008 with 70k miles. i did the timing belt and water pump at 90k, 180k, spark plugs whenever that is recommended, and that's all i have had to do other than normal oil service.

every time someone rides in my car they are blown away by how silent it is and how smooth it drives. i have a friend with a 2015 infiniti Q70L and he says my LS rides "way better" than his car. being that my car is almost 13 years old and at 237k miles, it's not worth anything to someone other than me. i added streaming blue tooth to my stock radio so now i have every piece of technology i want in my car and even less motivation to sell it.

one more note- to this day i still love the look of 1998-2000 LS 400's - in particular the "coach" edition. that is an absolutely classic car- and the LS 400 is bullet proof just like the 430 (I had a 96 LS before moving to the 04 LS). i still think the seats of my '96 were more comfortable than the ones in my '04 and you can get a really well maintained 98-00 for $7k-$8k no problem. you may want to give those a look - if you like the look of those you could almost swap your SC for one price-wise.
Great write-up...very helpful.

Quick Reply: So is this the best used car for about $10,000????