LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Denso radiator leaking after lexus installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 10:52 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Denso radiator leaking after lexus installation

The short version of my story is that I had a local Lexus Dealership install a Denso radiator that they obtained and now 10 months later it is leaking. The invoice states they do not cover any non OEM parts but at least in this instance they obtained the part. Not sure if that even matters. Anyone with a clue of what options I may have? I had an excellent relationship with the head of operations but he recently moved to a Mercedes dealership. I don't feel like laying out another $500 for an aftermarket radiator. Thanks all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-16, 12:38 PM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

did you tell them that you wanted the denso or did they say this is what we can get and it will be cheaper? for toyota all parts and labor is warranty up to a year from the time of service.
Old 07-18-16, 01:25 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$500 for after market radiator? Man you got ripped! I got my towing Denso radiator for $80 at RockAuto.
Old 07-18-16, 03:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hyperopt
$500 for after market radiator? Man you got ripped! I got my towing Denso radiator for $80 at RockAuto.
No it was their cost of $322 for radiator and $133.81 for labor. I spoke with the Service manager who relocated to Mercedes, but he called the current service manager at Lexus. He told me that the part will most likely be covered and the labor can be negotiated. I have an appt for tomorrow and will see how it goes. My Radiator is leaking from the front (facing the engine) at the middle down which is kind of unusual. I have a loaner scheduled and am hoping they will only charge me for labor as Denso has 12 months on their radiators and this was installed 10 months ago. To be continued. I'll keep the forum updated.
Old 07-18-16, 03:33 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sushiboiii
did you tell them that you wanted the denso or did they say this is what we can get and it will be cheaper? for toyota all parts and labor is warranty up to a year from the time of service.
Even for aftermarket parts at Toyota?

Last edited by Bocatrip; 07-18-16 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 04:35 PM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Even for aftermarket parts at Toyota?
yes even with aftermarket as long as we purchase it.
Old 07-18-16, 08:04 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sushiboiii
yes even with aftermarket as long as we purchase it.
Unfortunately Lexus has a different policy. What is done is done. I'll try to do the best I can with keeping my replacement costs down. Lucky for me the total cost originally was only $500. It should be less than that for replacement and could have been alot worse if this was a more expensive project with aftermarket parts. I'll keep the forum posted. Thanks all.
Old 07-21-16, 04:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

BOTTOM LIINE FOR THE THREAD..... i TOOK MY CAR TO LEXUS.... THEY SAW THE RADIATOR WAS LEAKING... THEY REPLACED IT AND THERE WAS NO CHARGE. END OF CASE.. ANOTHER REASON TO BUY A LEXUS IN THE FUTURE. THIS IS A 15 YEAR OLD CAR! lEXUS HAS ALWAYS TREATED ME WELL! AND i LOVE MY LS430!!!
Old 07-21-16, 09:31 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Denso makes very good radiators. You just happen to get a bad one which is extremely rare. I only replace customers radiators with a Denso or Koyo and have never had a failure.
Old 07-22-16, 06:44 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Bocatrip, if I remember correctly, don't you use JM lexus? If so, thats who I use too and they always said they have a lifetime warranty on repairs. pay once time and never pay again. I have gotten so many batteries from them and only bought one time. Same with brakes. They have been great with honoring their warranty. Only had one issue with a major service and full warranty was given. Glad it worked out for you too.
Old 07-22-16, 10:11 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Bocatrip, if I remember correctly, don't you use JM lexus? If so, thats who I use too and they always said they have a lifetime warranty on repairs. pay once time and never pay again. I have gotten so many batteries from them and only bought one time. Same with brakes. They have been great with honoring their warranty. Only had one issue with a major service and full warranty was given. Glad it worked out for you too.
LS430FL Yes, in the past I have used JM for a number of repairs. However, when I asked the price to replace the radiator, a service writer quoted me $1,000. I asked about a Denso instead and he said it won't make much of a difference. I called Palm Beach Lexus and they quoted me $500 out the door (with thermostat change and the Toyota Red coolant) so there was no rocket science in my decision who was doing the job. When the service manager who knows me at JM asked if I had a problem, I told him the crazy price I was quoted and he said he would do better. I apologized and said I committed and had an appt at another Lexus dealer. I hate incompetence! As far as the warranty goes, JM and Palm Beach are under different ownerships. Palm Beach is part of auto nation and have their own policies. I'm not sure about JM with a lifetime warranty on work done, because there are some stipulations and most likely you must use OEM parts. I prefer JM as it is 15 minutes from my house, but their prices are sometimes totally out of line where Palm Beach works with me and I have a good realationship with the service manager now. Regardless, I always shop around for the best price if it is significant. .