LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Low Mileage LS Owners speak up..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 07:04 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in March, I picked up my '04 ML with 60K on it. As of today, it has 71k.... Unfortunately, I drive a lot.

The only things I've had to do on this car is oil changes and front rotor replacement.

I say it everyday, I love this car.
Old 07-19-16, 07:27 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Great discussion here guys. Thank for all the comments!
Old 07-19-16, 02:49 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Let me start by saying this. Yes I love my 01 LS430 with 125,000 miles. This is not low miles and my car is old but in great shape I drive it every day and really enjoy it.. Bottom line is the LS430 is not and will not be a classic at least in my lifetime. Keeping the miles low willl be a great help to the next owner, but will not bring the value up much. As our cars are aging, even low mileage cars will be below $10,000 in the next 3-5 years. In addition, these cars are costly when things break. And they will break even with low miles as age sets in. I say to all those who love their cars with the low mileage.......Drive THEM!!!!!! and Enjoy Them! You do not have a Ferrari or super car that are mileage sensitive for value. Enjoy. Life is very short.
Old 07-20-16, 03:53 AM
Howzit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Let me start by saying this. Yes I love my 01 LS430 with 125,000 miles. This is not low miles and my car is old but in great shape I drive it every day and really enjoy it.. Bottom line is the LS430 is not and will not be a classic at least in my lifetime. Keeping the miles low willl be a great help to the next owner, but will not bring the value up much. As our cars are aging, even low mileage cars will be below $10,000 in the next 3-5 years. In addition, these cars are costly when things break. And they will break even with low miles as age sets in. I say to all those who love their cars with the low mileage.......Drive THEM!!!!!! and Enjoy Them! You do not have a Ferrari or super car that are mileage sensitive for value. Enjoy. Life is very short.
I think the majority of us realize that. I'm guessing most cherish the low miles because of how much they love the car. I'm kinda in that boat. If something were to happen to my 430, I have no clue what I'd replace it with. I just love it. It has enough tech in it to make me happy. Every time I get a new loaner I can't wait to get back into my 430. I looked at all kinds of new cars before I bought it. None of them really did it for me. Not a fan of current design language of most cars. They also seem over complicated. Don't get me wrong, I love technology, but I like to be able to operate almost all functions in a car without having to look at what I'm doing. Even though mine spends a lot of time in the garage, I love to drive it and I don't worry about the mileage. I don't daily drive it because I work in the oil fields and it's an 80 mile round trip drive. Lots of trucks driving to and from these fields. I get a few new rock chips a month on my commute and need to replace a windshield every year and a half. On my time off though, the 430 comes out to play. I will drive it to work on the weekends sometimes. There are no crews out here then, so way less truck traffic. Last thing I want to do it have it sit and rot. My grandpa had an old XJ6L that he let sit and rot. It killed me! Let's see a pic of your Jag. I'm a sucker for Jag's.
Old 07-20-16, 11:00 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 03 has 96K on it with most of that put on in it's early life (bought it new). It's my wife's car and she hasn't worked for several years so just some random trips here/there. We certainly don't shy away from driving it but the miles are accumulating very slowly these days. It's always been a garaged car so it's in great shape.
Old 07-21-16, 01:40 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Howzit
I think the majority of us realize that. I'm guessing most cherish the low miles because of how much they love the car. I'm kinda in that boat. If something were to happen to my 430, I have no clue what I'd replace it with. I just love it.
Oh that's easy, another one!

I have 118k on my '01. Took me 10+ years to get there from the 65k it had on it when i bought it. I think I have a squeeky front bushing somewhere but aside from that damned if it doesn't drive the same as it did when I bought it.

I see friends replacing cars every couple years and think... wow. They don't have an LS. I'll never get rid of it. I'll drive it till the day it (or I) die.
Old 07-21-16, 03:37 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AgileLS430
Not sure if mine would be considered low mileage. But, I purchased a 2006 ML in april with 61k on it. I currently have 62k. hahaha. And that is my daily.
your daily huh, 1 k miles in 10 years. do you drive to your mailbox outside your home and back only???
Old 07-21-16, 05:47 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
your daily huh, 1 k miles in 10 years. do you drive to your mailbox outside your home and back only???
He's had it since APRIL. That's 250 miles a month IF we count a full April and a full July.
Old 08-06-16, 08:52 AM
LSR83
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an '04 LS430 with 73k miles on it. Just bought it back in April with 70k miles. Typically it should be around 140k-180k miles for its age.
Old 08-06-16, 11:32 AM
2KHarrier

Just to update mine, we've had it for 3 months now and finally moved the odometer 1000 miles. Bought it with 48K-ish and it's now at 49K-ish.. I never realized how little my wife drives.

My 01', on the other hand has driven 20K so far this year.
Old 08-07-16, 03:57 PM
Driver School Candidate

Just hit 48k on my 06 CL, bought it with 36k last year. Love it.
Old 01-09-17, 01:28 PM
bpuhl
Driver School Candidate

2003 LS430
Pearl with Tan
Old 01-10-17, 06:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Just to update mine, we've had it for 3 months now and finally moved the odometer 1000 miles. Bought it with 48K-ish and it's now at 49K-ish.. I never realized how little my wife drives.

My 01', on the other hand has driven 20K so far this year.
I got mine in Oct. and racked up more miles than usual because there were 2 return trips to the dealer, who is150 miles away. I've already put 4,200 on it, and I like to think that anything wrong would have been uncovered (like the LCA rear bushings). Low miles by me might have masked something....

If you do want a laugh, my BMW which is a garage queen, went about 1,400 miles in 2016. It does bug me, most say this is a car that's meant to be driven, and keeping in the garage, while you may think it's like raising veal, it's bad for the car. My neighbor told me it likely freaks out when you open the garage door and sunlight gets in..... (My wife asked me, why are you putting snow tires on it, you don't drive it in the snow. You don't drive it at all)

The nephew even asked me, Uncle John, what kind of BMW is inside the garage, as if nobody is allowed to see it (it's detached)
Old 01-10-17, 07:24 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This thread is funny. We are talking about at least a 11yr old vehicle thats worth 15k or less. Do you really think saving it from miles is better than driving it? Lets compare an 01 LS with 50k to one with 200k. Both can look and drive the same (with proper maintenance of course). Who got their moneys worth? Age affects a car just as much as mileage for certain components (seals dry out, etc) and not driving it can make it worse in some cases. These are not collectible vehicles and will depreciate either way so just drive the thing and throw it away when it becomes too expensive to repair.
Old 01-10-17, 11:08 AM
2KHarrier

Rush; Thanks for the input, but non of us believe we have a golden egg we're sitting on. When I opened this thread last July, I had recently purchased an 11 year old car with 49K on it. To me, that was very low mileage. Why the original owner didn't drive much, I'll never know. I threw the question out there to see just how many other LS's like mine were floating around. When I sell it, it will no doubt have 4 times that mileage on it and be ready for collector plates.

You ask who got their money's worth. Well, the lady I bought it from didn't, but I sure will.....

Quick Reply: Low Mileage LS Owners speak up..