LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Glad to be rid of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 07:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My Pilots I bought new with new alignment and road force balanced. The LS holds alignments well just get it checked yearly and it is rarely off much at all if any.
Old 07-20-16, 10:38 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I have 245 pilot a/s 3 not the plus. I thought they where as quiet as my MXV4 but improved my handling immensely with little if any loss in comfort or ride quality.. The 3 plus supposedly improved snow traction I do not need as I run snows. I lost one to sidewall damage on the freeway and just found a used one to match the other 3 tonight. They will not make 45k warrantee so I will get em prorated and buy another set. Sorry to hear yours where not good I did like the Exalto's also.
Originally Posted by warminwisc
My Pilots I bought new with new alignment and road force balanced. The LS holds alignments well just get it checked yearly and it is rarely off much at all if any.
Thanks for the suggestion, warminwisc, the LS had alignment performed twice in the past four months and you're right, wasn't much if any deviation the second time around (didn't road-force balance though). The 245 Pilot A/S 3+ were quiet but only on the best roads. On worn or cracked asphalt, or concrete, the tires were very audible. It wasn't just the noise, it was also the sharp jolts over bumps. Just didn't provide that luxury ride I always expected from an LS. Perhaps I've grown too accustomed to the ride quality associated with Michelin Energy/Primacy/Defender over the years. Or maybe I'm just getting too old (37 years, but probably the mentality of a 57 year old).

As hard to believe as it sounds, I find the LS 430 corners flatter and grips better in turns with the 235/50 Premier than the previous 245/45 Pilot A/S 3+. I would not expect that outcome at all, but I truly feel the Premier has the Pilot beat in ride quality, noise, rated treadlife, AND handling. On turns where I had to ease off on the gas with the Pilots, I can now maintain momemtum through the turn with the Premier. Loving the LS so much more now, and I make it a regular habit now to just drive the car with no real destination in mind. In my 20+ years of driving I have never just "gone for a drive" in any car. With the proper tires on the LS now, I just like to go on 20-minute or 20-mile loops. The solitary experience helps me decompress and relax and serves as my "man cave" time.
Old 07-22-16, 05:43 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like U where as happy to get out of the Pilots as I was the MXV4! I still get a buzz from a quick roadtrip to relax. I have a 014 Touareg with 400 lbs of torque also for a quick road rally. There is a section of Shady Lane up down a long hill sweeping corners thru farm country I take to jack tunes and relax. Yur in Cali, I used to live at Mammoth on Patrol, when it gets below 20 degrees suspension really firms up and is fun. Prolly need new skins next summer might try the Premiers and if I like Pilots better will trade back under the 30 day promise guarantee. Premeiers are pricey I know I know ya get what ya pay for. There where w rated Pilots for 150 bucks on Tirerack for a while now gone.