LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Front wheel bearing issues - Replace whole hub or just the bearing itself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 03:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus
You can check Rockauto for various manufacturers and pricing info. They have quite a nice selection. You can look at Timkin as a good brand as well as well. If you are in Canada they will quote in Canadian dollars and include all shipping and brokerage charges up front. I am in Quebec and most prices are about half of what they are here shipped to my door.
Yes Timkin is good too but Koyo is the closest and/or is the manufacturer of the OEM part in your car now. If the price is close, I would suggest going for the Koyo hub. I had my Koyo hub installed a few weeks ago, and so far my car is super quiet without the annoying humming and grumbling noise at higher speeds. I like my car to run as it was designed.
Old 07-07-16, 07:23 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I buy alot on e bay they always support the buyer and from my experience if there is the slightest fraud they shut em down, so if 11 been sold they r still on line I am good. Yur right 15 hubs falls into the hands of a reseller legitamately and after 15 they are gone. So if bootleggers are so good to stamp 89544-50020 koyo japan manuf date and it is as pictured sealed tight in a Koyo plastic boot, they are pretty good and pretty desperate. There is noone else on line that has a similar product, why would you bootleg 15 pieces but I am not a bootlegger). I have sent stuff back occasionally mostly used skis misrepresented, this hub is tight as a drum. I got front pads for 15 bucks in akebono packaging stamping they fit and function perfectly.

What is scarey to me after I pick this heavy thing up is to see the workmanship, machining, polishing that someone can sell 2 for a 100 bucks is the real scare. Just me man. Good luck
Old 07-07-16, 07:28 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I got a parking sensor that was BS ebay got involved got credited my account they did not even want it back tossed it though they would have sent a return label their dime free shipping to me. It was next to Toyota packaging in picture but did not arrive that way. You certainly have to be aware I would not even say overly careful.
Old 07-07-16, 07:35 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I got a leather seat cover for my Touareg, with seat heater connected 100 bcuks shipped. VW stamping packaging after 5 they where gone. I called the VW dealer once i got it confirmed the reseller never saw em listed again. Opportunist, fool, time will tell. 600 bucks retail
Old 07-07-16, 07:45 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

http://bearing1.com/

Car has not been built for 11 years quiet possible a lot fell into these guys hands. Prolly not a huge demand in some areas. call em you have their number.
Old 07-09-16, 05:42 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I e mailed the fella with the Koyo for now 167 and I think if ya told him you saw it 2 days agao for 143.82 he might honor that price. He did when I asked if I could get the old price he agreed said pay the 167 call him in a week and he would refund me the difference. All the e mails are tracked by e bay so I am almost positive he would do as he says. Not knowing anything about hubs bearings let us know how the cheap one lasts. I would think with the weight and roll of the front end arund corners there is alot of strain on the hub, good luck to all. With my 17s and 18s on 2 different LS's and my drive style they went out at about the same time. Cheers
Ive been watching this guy for a while, and it seems sketchy to me, his trader score is super low, with one seemingly fake review and the prices are too cheap

I still might taker a chance on it though, im undecided

Originally Posted by Arcturus
You can check Rockauto for various manufacturers and pricing info. They have quite a nice selection. You can look at Timkin as a good brand as well as well. If you are in Canada they will quote in Canadian dollars and include all shipping and brokerage charges up front. I am in Quebec and most prices are about half of what they are here shipped to my door.
ropck auto is great, buy a lot of stuff from them

[
Old 07-09-16, 09:59 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

My side job mechanic is on vacation. Won't know his opinion on the replacement for a week or so. The E bay retailer has a hold on one at 143 for me, very nice, until I make sure I pull the right side off(last one dealar pulled wrong one I got 2 for 1). Will update ya later gonna call bearing retailer monday as you all are raising some questions. Thanks only a few left otherwise but 100 bucks is childs play to us rich Lexus owners so better to get somewhere else even though e bay is so solid IMO?.
Old 07-14-16, 04:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

My side job mechanic is on vacation. Won't know his opinion on the replacement for a week or so. The E bay retailer has a hold on one at 143 for me, very nice, until I make sure I pull the right side off(last one dealar pulled wrong one I got 2 for 1). Will update ya later gonna call bearing retailer monday as you all are raising some questions. Thanks only a few left otherwise but 100 bucks is childs play to us rich Lexus owners so better to get somewhere else even though e bay is so solid IMO?.
don't worry man he has lots

I purchased the "last 2 remaining" and then all of a sudden there was 6 left

This guy seems like the ideal account that would be selling counterfeits, he has ignored my question twice when I specifically asked if these are true OEM's or replicas, his only reply was " sure, if you buy today I will ship them out by tomorrow"

I got mine for $130 usd each, so that's about half price of what ive found them for from reputable sources.

Once I get them I will post some photos, hopefully we can I.D them as real or fake
Old 07-27-16, 05:35 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on these ebay bearings that are supposedly OEM? Just seeing if they are legit as I replaced my front right to no avail with a unit from RockAuto. Annoying....
Old 07-27-16, 08:57 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
Any updates on these ebay bearings that are supposedly OEM? Just seeing if they are legit as I replaced my front right to no avail with a unit from RockAuto. Annoying....
What's wrong with the unit from RockAuto?
Old 07-27-16, 11:16 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the hub from JWB and it didn't solve my problem. Still get a whirring sound especially on left hand sweepers. A tech a Toytoa who did my transmission fill noticed it was bad and i told them I JUST replaced it. Is it possible its my left rear? Sure
Old 07-27-16, 01:23 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
I ordered the hub from JWB and it didn't solve my problem. Still get a whirring sound especially on left hand sweepers. A tech a Toytoa who did my transmission fill noticed it was bad and i told them I JUST replaced it. Is it possible its my left rear? Sure
I just recently replaced my front passenger side bearing hub with a Koyo. I first starting hearing the grumbling sound (especially at highway speeds of 50+ mph) about 6 months ago. It would go away if I turned my steering wheel in the same direction of that wheel (to the right) as the load was taken off that wheel. I waited for the noise to get worse and kept on checking it to be as certain as possible it was nothing else or coming from the rear. Luckily I got it right and it is now silent. However, it's not all that easy to hear if not driving the car. It's important to have a load on the suspect bearing to properly diagnose. Unless you are doing the work yourself it can become expensive if misdiagnosed. Are you sure the part you got was not defective? Did you purchase the entire hub and not the bearing? Good luck and let us know how you make out with this repair.
Old 08-02-16, 10:39 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Default E Bay bearring

I got the Ebay Koyo bearing put in from my buddies kid who is a certified diesel mechanic(it arrived exactly as in the picture with Koyo stampings plastic sleeve packaging and labeling). Andrew told me it was the right tight Koyo bearing as advertised he had to do nothing to it like cheap aftermarket parts it was a quick easy job. 50 bucks thanks e Bay for the savings. How much does a dealer charge for labor to replace a hub? Thanks I always give him more than he asks prolly give him 100
Old 08-02-16, 11:28 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I got the Ebay Koyo bearing put in from my buddies kid who is a certified diesel mechanic(it arrived exactly as in the picture with Koyo stampings plastic sleeve packaging and labeling). Andrew told me it was the right tight Koyo bearing as advertised he had to do nothing to it like cheap aftermarket parts it was a quick easy job. 50 bucks thanks e Bay for the savings. How much does a dealer charge for labor to replace a hub? Thanks I always give him more than he asks prolly give him 100
Lexus charges over $800. You got a great deal! I paid my Infiniti dealer about $450 out the door with my Koyo hub which I paid $225 for and I was happy with that deal. You are a hero! Good luck. I'll give EBay a look when my other side starts making noise.
Old 08-02-16, 05:05 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I called the supplier talked to a real nice lady first couple rings and thanked her for the savings on a quality part. Anyway

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing issues - Replace whole hub or just the bearing itself?