LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is this really only 1,700 worth of damage??? - REAR ENDED

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 06:57 AM
inrisls400
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
So you really didn't want to take any of the advice provided to you on the forum and just went ahead? Not trying to be an *** but what's the point of this thread? The original estimate from the other party's insurance was LOW hence why multiple people suggested you get a different quote from a good shop. If you had AND that quote came in at $3000, you would have the $3000 in your pocket now - be able to get a used deck lid and re-paint the entire car with money left over for a few small fixes.

A deck lid in that twisted condition should NOT be repaired. There's support structure under the carpet panels that are also probably twisted and a body shop isn't going to be be able to fix that.

Since you've accepted the check, the body shop you are working with should first attempt to fix the deck lid and you need to ensure they aren't fixing it by using 100 kg of bondo. If not fixable, the labor is on them because you still need some money to get an used deck lid.
I get what you're saying, believe me I do. But what i was told by allstate is that this is the quote and if there is ANY other damage we cant see then the shop needs to charge us...I went to the shop yesterday and they said the only damage to the trunk is the dent, it opens and closes just fine with my soft closing lid and they aren't using bondo they are using fiberglass. the body shop took apart bumper and there was no damage underneath...the person didn't hit me that hard so I guess the damage was more minimal than I first thought...Had I taken it to a different body shop and got a higher quote they would have only wanted to fix the rear and not touch the front, hence charging me even more to fix the whole car.
Old 07-07-16, 07:05 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by inrisls400
I get what you're saying, believe me I do. But what i was told by allstate is that this is the quote and if there is ANY other damage we cant see then the shop needs to charge us...I went to the shop yesterday and they said the only damage to the trunk is the dent, it opens and closes just fine with my soft closing lid and they aren't using bondo they are using fiberglass. the body shop took apart bumper and there was no damage underneath...the person didn't hit me that hard so I guess the damage was more minimal than I first thought...Had I taken it to a different body shop and got a higher quote they would have only wanted to fix the rear and not touch the front, hence charging me even more to fix the whole car.
It is up to you to weigh all advice, make a judgement based on your specific details and situation, and make the ultimate decision. Thanks for sharing the info and it was smart of you to check with the forum as there is lots of experience here on the LS430. Please post your thoughts and assessment on the results of the repair and repaint. This kind of info on member experience with repair and insurance is super valuable to everyone on the forum.
Old 07-07-16, 07:28 AM
inrisls400
Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
It is up to you to weigh all advice, make a judgement based on your specific details and situation, and make the ultimate decision. Thanks for sharing the info and it was smart of you to check with the forum as there is lots of experience here on the LS430. Please post your thoughts and assessment on the results of the repair and repaint. This kind of info on member experience with repair and insurance is super valuable to everyone on the forum.
will do, cant wait to get it back and u better believe that if it isn't perfect its not leaving the shop.
Old 07-07-16, 06:05 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

This parking lot scrape...

...resulted in this...

...and this...

...to get to this...

...this...

and this...to the tune of $1300.00 at a Certified Toyota/ Lexus repair shop...and that was just a scrape, so I would think the damage the OP has would be considerably more than the $1700 or so that was mentioned...just my $.02...as if anyone asked
Old 07-07-16, 06:12 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Repaired the gouge in/on the bumper cover, resprayed and feathered from both rear door sills and quarters, installed new chrome insert...the guy that backed into me thought it would be about $300...LOL...I wouldn't sign off until I couldn't see the feather, which they thankfully got right the first time...they said they didn't get too many UL's in nice condition with low miles, so they looked out for me...plus...it was a nice profit for them on a quick insurance fix LOL
Old 07-07-16, 09:29 PM
inrisls400
Driver

So u got 1300 for the scrap? Did they do anything else to the car?
Old 07-09-16, 04:02 AM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inrisls400
So u got 1300 for the scrap? Did they do anything else to the car?
This is in my experience in regards to Verbal's damage. I am having the front and rear bumpers being overhauled since they received some damage over the years by the previous owner. I had quotes ranging from 800-2800 and reviewed each estimate from numerous body shops just to have the bumpers repaired and the front fender where the bumper meet pulled out to sit flush again. Upon each the thing that cost the most since they go off standard hours. Since I am paying out of pocket the shops don't really give you a break on the labor rate like they do for insurance companies. Some shops were 42.00 an hour and others maybe 47.00 an hour not including paint labor hours as well. Some of the higher estimates wanted to replace the front bumper but if I can salvage the original bumper then I am. All in all I decided to go to a smaller shop that received awesome reviews and a reasonable estimate giving me more room to work with in case if there is any other damage that may have occurred underneath that we couldn't see.