LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is this really only 1,700 worth of damage??? - REAR ENDED

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 07:37 PM
anh2lua
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you were in the car at the time of the accident?

I'd suggested get a lawyer, take your car to lexus dealer for an estimate, visit the the Dr. to check out. You might not feel anything, but who knows. Get checked out!
Old 06-21-16, 07:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't get the trunk lid fixed, get it replaced. If they "fix" it, it will be full of bondo and filler. The shop will do a half *** job of it and try to bang it out the door as quick as possible if they're going to quote that it costs less to fix it rather than pay for a replacement part. Think of it this way, it might take a good body guy 8 hours to pound the dents out of your trunk, fill it, sand it, paint it and do a great job on it. $100 an hour for labor, that's $800 in just labor alone. So of course he'll hurry up and do it in 4 hours, $400 labor, it will be all wavy and look like crap. Lets say a new trunk lid is $600 and it takes 2 hours to prep and paint it to OEM standard, so that's $800. Doors, hood, fenders, bumpers, anything that you can unbolt and bolt on a new part, that is the RIGHT way to fix it IMO.
Old 06-22-16, 09:08 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by inrisls400
They said if it can be fixed they would and if not they'd replace
If this were my car and the shop said they would fix that trunk lid.....I would be looking for another shop.
Old 06-22-16, 09:44 AM
inrisls400
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS430FL, what other hidden damage did they find that it cost 8K dollars to fix ur car?
Old 06-22-16, 11:01 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by anh2lua
I assume you were in the car at the time of the accident?

I'd suggested get a lawyer, take your car to lexus dealer for an estimate, visit the the Dr. to check out. You might not feel anything, but who knows. Get checked out!
Yes. Always in that order. Lawyer up first before anything. Try to screw as many people as possible.
Old 06-22-16, 11:17 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

About the same thing happend to my car.... Trunk was a little worse looking than yours bumper has a deep scrach in it, and trunk lights were cracked... came to about $2600, this was last year on my 2001, that is including paint. They did a good job, could not tell it's been damaged in anyway in the rear...

I'm sure I could of gone the pocket route but, I just wanted the car fixed...
Old 06-22-16, 12:50 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The had to replace the right side lights, bumper, and the right side rear quarter panel because it was bowed from impact. I'll see if i can find pictures of my old car. Recently before I traded my car, someone did a simple side swipe and left no note. Two small dings, repaint both drivers doors and the insurance company said $1400. I think yours is the initial estimate and will go up at least double if not more. You want to measure all gaps when done to make sure they are perfect. I am a perfectionist and send the car back twice until it was perfect.
Old 06-22-16, 12:56 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

ok, here is two different accidents. the one is obviously the $8000 repair and the other is the $1200. Im not saying yours is as bad as my $8000 worth of damage, I just think your estimate is way too cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Is this really only 1,700 worth of damage??? - REAR ENDED-car-11.jpg   Is this really only 1,700 worth of damage??? - REAR ENDED-car-22.jpg  
Old 06-22-16, 01:04 PM
inrisls400
Driver

Originally Posted by LS430FL
ok, here is two different accidents. the one is obviously the $8000 repair and the other is the $1200. Im not saying yours is as bad as my $8000 worth of damage, I just think your estimate is way too cheap.
oh yeah ur quarter panel was in bad shape...mine doesn't have quarter damage...but I will be taking to a lexus dealer and have it done right.
Old 06-22-16, 01:54 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had 2 experiences over the years with Allstate. They will cut corners and lowball the damage as much as they can get away with.

Take it to a Lexus dealer and have the trunk lid replaced.
Old 06-23-16, 05:49 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Just had the front bumper replaced on a 2005 Honda Accord... $2400... and only for the bumper, nothing else was touched.
I'm pretty sure your quote is not even close and yes, you need the new trunk lid.
Old 07-06-16, 01:01 PM
inrisls400
Driver

Well I finally got the 1700 dollar check, took it to a body shop and they are going to fix rust that I had on the doors and repainting the whole car for 2200, only 500 out of pocket so not too bad I guess.
Old 07-06-16, 01:14 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Your estimate was at least 50% too low. I got rear ended this weekend - guy was going pretty slow but hit us a stout lick. I just got the estimate today from the body shop that does all the Lexus work in my town. Damage was only bumper and one parking sensor. Scrapes on bumper and one minor dent on bumper cover - estimator said they did not bondo that and will replace so it will look right and last. To replace bumper cover and one parking sensor and repaint. There was no damage to trunk lid at all. The estimate was $1600.

I go to State Farm's estimator on Friday. They will of course low ball the estimate and offer me a check I can cash and forget about the repair. I of course will tell them to go pound sand and take my car to the quality shop for repair.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-06-16 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 01:32 PM
inrisls400
Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Your estimate was at least 50% too low. I got rear ended this weekend - guy was going pretty slow but hit us a stout lick. I just got the estimate today from the body shop that does all the Lexus work in my town. Damage was only bumper and one parking sensor. Scrapes on bumper and one minor dent on bumper cover - estimator said they did not bondo that and will replace so it will look right and last. To replace bumper cover and one parking sensor and repaint. There was no damage to trunk lid at all. The estimate was $1600.

I go to State Farm's estimator on Friday. They will of course low ball the estimate and offer me a check I can cash and forget about the repair. I of course will tell them to go pound sand and take my car to the quality shop for repair.
if I didn't have damage to the front hood and doors I would have gone this route and took it to lexus, but since I want to get the whole car fixed and painted I went this route. I also didn't have any damage to the bumper just a small scratch no dnets or cracks whatsoever the real damage was to the trunk. Im just taking what they gave me and using that to get the whole car fixed...so they are actually paying about 80% to have my whole car fixed. I seriously doubt they body shop would have helped me get more out of the insurance company, oh well at least I get a fresh new paint job.
Old 07-07-16, 03:17 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you really didn't want to take any of the advice provided to you on the forum and just went ahead? Not trying to be an *** but what's the point of this thread? The original estimate from the other party's insurance was LOW hence why multiple people suggested you get a different quote from a good shop. If you had AND that quote came in at $3000, you would have the $3000 in your pocket now - be able to get a used deck lid and re-paint the entire car with money left over for a few small fixes.

A deck lid in that twisted condition should NOT be repaired. There's support structure under the carpet panels that are also probably twisted and a body shop isn't going to be be able to fix that.

Since you've accepted the check, the body shop you are working with should first attempt to fix the deck lid and you need to ensure they aren't fixing it by using 100 kg of bondo. If not fixable, the labor is on them because you still need some money to get an used deck lid.

Quick Reply: Is this really only 1,700 worth of damage??? - REAR ENDED