LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking to buy a 2004-06 ls430, what maintenance parts to buy in advance?

Old 06-18-16, 11:30 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 2004-06 ls430, what maintenance parts to buy in advance?

I'm looking at ones under 110,000 miles and would like to purchase some things ahead of time for future maintenance i.e., brake pads, rotors, cabin air filters.

Is there anything else that would be recommended to have in my "back pocket" for just in case. I'm looking at getting a non-UL lexus ls430. struts?

Haven't been on this forum for 5 years (back when I had my 1991 ls400). It's good to be back. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 06-18-16, 04:49 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Why in the world would you buy them before buying a car?
Old 06-18-16, 04:51 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Balljoints, control arm bushings, timing belt kit, wiper inserts, steering column motors, cabin filters, air filters, spark plugs, struts, spare bulbs
Old 06-18-16, 11:18 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmore430
Balljoints, control arm bushings, timing belt kit, wiper inserts, steering column motors, cabin filters, air filters, spark plugs, struts, spare bulbs

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!
Old 06-18-16, 11:23 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ejthomp
Why in the world would you buy them before buying a car?
I know it's completely unconventional before purchasing without knowing what the car will need. I'm planning on keeping the eventual ls430 for 10 years and I'm planning ahead. Some people pay heavily for a warranty, I plan on purchasing some things I know I'll need to repair either right away or within the next 100,000 miles so I'm completely prepared and not offset with a huge hit for a repair. It's insurance for me. I mean, why do people pay for warranties, to cover the inevitable.
Old 06-19-16, 05:57 AM
lumpy85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your going to change all that stuff immediately?

I bought mine, it hadn't had a new timing belt yet, so I did timing belt and all associated parts. I also did spark plugs. But I wouldn't buy parts to sit on the shelf. What if someone totals your car, or steals it?
Old 06-19-16, 08:35 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lumpy85
So your going to change all that stuff immediately?

I bought mine, it hadn't had a new timing belt yet, so I did timing belt and all associated parts. I also did spark plugs. But I wouldn't buy parts to sit on the shelf. What if someone totals your car, or steals it?
I was planning on fixing what needed right away and shelving everything else for future use. I know it doesn't make sense to most but it's peace of mind for me. I was thinking of buying a timing belt kit, brake pads, spark plugs, possibly rotors. Even if the timing belt had been done I'll need it 3+ years for how much I drive. If I total the car I'll buy another one. I think the 2004-06 is by far the best car for the money, especially in the $10,000 to $12,000 range and can give me 200,000+ miles with proper maintenance. You make an excellent point though. Maybe better off getting the car first and then assessing all my current needs.
Old 06-19-16, 09:32 AM
lumpy85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine turned out to need an alternator, so I added that to the timing belt job. I was going to replace the radiator hoses, but they looked great.

Consider changing transmission, brake, and power steering fluid.
Old 06-19-16, 02:14 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

My suggestion is to add up the approximate cost of the parts and buy yourself a giftcard (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). While I read all of the posts, it makes no sense to buy the parts before you buy the car. The giftcard allows you to prepay with out committing to individual parts. That way, you can get the exact part you need when needed. If you don't need the parts or end up with another car, you are not stuck with parts that are past their return date. The gift card can always be used for something else.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-19-16, 02:40 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
I know it's completely unconventional before purchasing without knowing what the car will need. I'm planning on keeping the eventual ls430 for 10 years and I'm planning ahead. Some people pay heavily for a warranty, I plan on purchasing some things I know I'll need to repair either right away or within the next 100,000 miles so I'm completely prepared and not offset with a huge hit for a repair. It's insurance for me. I mean, why do people pay for warranties, to cover the inevitable.
Maybe it's me but, couldn't you take the $600-1000 in parts your planning to keep on hand and put it in a dedicated savings account that might get some interest on it ? Let the money sit till you NEED something then buy it...

Of course as long as you can control yourself NOT to touch the money unless the car needs it...
Old 06-19-16, 03:36 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha. This is a funny thread. I have no idea why someone would buy spare parts for a car yet to be even purchased.

hahahahaha.

Buy the car first. Then drive it. Worry about parts if and when something fails.
Old 06-19-16, 06:18 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sgretchko
My suggestion is to add up the approximate cost of the parts and buy yourself a giftcard (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). While I read all of the posts, it makes no sense to buy the parts before you buy the car. The giftcard allows you to prepay with out committing to individual parts. That way, you can get the exact part you need when needed. If you don't need the parts or end up with another car, you are not stuck with parts that are past their return date. The gift card can always be used for something else.

Just my two cents.
I appreciate all the help. That is an excellent point! For me personally, I don't have a big savings account, part of my "reasoning" for purchasing parts ahead of time. Your idea really does make a lot of sense. Thank you very much.
Old 06-19-16, 06:22 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Haha. This is a funny thread. I have no idea why someone would buy spare parts for a car yet to be even purchased.

hahahahaha.

Buy the car first. Then drive it. Worry about parts if and when something fails.
I'm a funny guy. A little eccentric for sure.
Old 06-20-16, 10:20 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Don't forget the rear subwoofer if the ML system. Almost everyone is shot or will be. It's not cheap.
Old 06-20-16, 07:52 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Don't forget the rear subwoofer if the ML system. Almost everyone is shot or will be. It's not cheap.
This is exactly the info I need. Thank you! I should have called the thread, "what repairs is there to expect when purchasing a 100,000 mile 2004 LS430?"

Thanks again guys. My main goal is to buy one and prepare it for the long haul.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 2004-06 ls430, what maintenance parts to buy in advance?