LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Stroker kits?

Old 06-27-16, 07:43 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bad is the ls430 ecu going to freak out if i do the standered swap is my question? Will there be a bunch of check engine lights? I do not know enough about Toyotas to answer this i know with some cars you just put the standered tranny in and the ecu does not matter.
Old 06-27-16, 11:41 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the manual swap as far as the ecm is concerned. I would be more concerned with shifter placement, mounting a clutch and associated plumbing in a vehicle never designed for it, etc. Everything else you are discussing will already cause your check engine light to be on and probably render the stability control useless. One thing you need to realise is that once you start down this path you will never pass emissions/inspections if required in your area. The factory ecm is good for running the stock engine and drive train and that is all. Once it is bypassed with a standalone it will not be getting the inputs it needs to control emissions. I've seen many ambitious projects permanently sidelined because the owner can't get the vehicle registered once modifications have begun.
Old 06-27-16, 12:00 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 911LE
I wouldn't be worried about the manual swap as far as the ecm is concerned. I would be more concerned with shifter placement, mounting a clutch and associated plumbing in a vehicle never designed for it, etc. Everything else you are discussing will already cause your check engine light to be on and probably render the stability control useless. One thing you need to realise is that once you start down this path you will never pass emissions/inspections if required in your area. The factory ecm is good for running the stock engine and drive train and that is all. Once it is bypassed with a standalone it will not be getting the inputs it needs to control emissions. I've seen many ambitious projects permanently sidelined because the owner can't get the vehicle registered once modifications have begun.
I live in ny and it goes by the plug in obd2 and there is no smog so as long as the check engine light is not lit on the dash then it will pass. This isthe last aspect of it that i am figuring out cause as you pointed out i do not want to have $15,000 dumped into a car and i cant drive it on the road.
Old 06-27-16, 01:59 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

If they do the plug in obd2 test you will not pass with any mods or a standalone. Even if the check engine light is off (and yours never will be) it can still fail unless all systems are functional and pass the ecm readiness test. The reason the GM LS platform is so popular is that they can handle most combinations with tuning the stock ecm. The reason they can pass the obd2 test is with the tune you can tell the ecm to ignore certain parameters that would trigger the check engine light. They can also be set to present a false readiness state so it will pass.
Old 06-27-16, 02:43 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 911LE
If they do the plug in obd2 test you will not pass with any mods or a standalone. Even if the check engine light is off (and yours never will be) it can still fail unless all systems are functional and pass the ecm readiness test. The reason the GM LS platform is so popular is that they can handle most combinations with tuning the stock ecm. The reason they can pass the obd2 test is with the tune you can tell the ecm to ignore certain parameters that would trigger the check engine light. They can also be set to present a false readiness state so it will pass.
****cckkkkk soon as you posted your first comment about it i read up on it....so whats my best bet just say screw it and put an exhaust, intake, headers on the car and call it a day. I am kinda bummed should i get an ls460, 911, 93supra with a 2uz tt swap that way its pre 96 so it does not need to be plugged in. what are some suggestions here i need a project car i preferably would like to be able to turbo it or tune it with the stock ecu.

Everybody chime in what car should i get?
Old 06-27-16, 09:55 PM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jks24
Anybody know if the r154 out of a supra will bolt right up or do i need to have custom mounts made?.
No idea if this will work for you but Driftmotion makes a couple of products that would help the trans line up and fit with most of the other Lexus siblings. It might work for you.
http://www.driftmotion.com/R154-Shif...00-p/dm583.htm
http://www.driftmotion.com/R154-Swap...S-p/dm2643.htm

Don't know how it would work with your 3rd gen LS though.
The clutch, pressure plate, and fly wheel for the UZ series has been mentioned before.

You always have an option to jump in the GS game with me. Get yourself a pre 96 gs300 and drop in a UZ, go from there. No OBD2 and you have all the space under the hood that a LS gave. Hell, they put a 3uz in a IS so I don't see why the GS has to be left in the dark. I honestly perfer the look of the first gen GS's anyway. Its just going to be a wiring nightmare which I am going to proudly hand off to someone else to figure out.

***EDIT***
Some questions that I missed.
The R154 is a well used transmission. It's known to be able to hold up to 6-700 TORQUE. The R-series in gereral (150-154) are used in UZ conversions regularly because they can take a beating. And, the reason why people with supras use them is because the V160 (which in all honesty would work better) is ungodly expensive.
And in regards to the SRT $10,000 supercharger... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK no. There are kits out there for half that price that give the same power. Even if I became a millionaire I wouldn't get that thing. I'd just custom fab my own. $10,000, the thing better make the engine shoot gold and platinum out of the exhaust pipe while purifying the atmosphere.

Last edited by AshyBone; 06-28-16 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 05:58 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Ok i am doing an ls1 swap looked into its super do-able i need a ls430 ecm pin out can some one please get it for me post a link or something. I can do a ls1 with t56 the entire swap for $5000-$6000 i need to make a custom wiring harness to the lexus so all the stuff on the inside of the cabin and outside still work, this is the hardest part of the project os figuring out thw wiring. Also some input from other people what does the stock lecus ecm control besides the motor and trans i will post a how to and other stuff if i get some help from you guys depending on how hard it is i might even make the wiring harneses and sell them as well.
Old 07-12-16, 07:41 PM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's going to be a fun beast. Good luck man.
Old 07-13-16, 04:03 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might get answers quicker and more exactingly from this person - http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...xus-ls430.html
Old 07-13-16, 06:13 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Might get answers quicker and more exactingly from this person - http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...xus-ls430.html
Ohhh dude wayyyyyyy ahead of you i was researching the hell outta that haha, and thanks man yah i am super excited to get this going i hope i stay in good health long enough to finish this. I am gonna end up driving 5 hours to maryland to a shop to get a quote on everything they actually used to be a vendor on here. It is either that or i am just gonna make and weld up the mounts myself as well as do the wiring. My only area i have questions on is the driveshaft it seems to be shrouded in secrecy haha, i wanna get a carbon fiber one made down the road.
Old 07-15-16, 09:24 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jks24,
I own an NA-T 1997 SC300 with a v161, a supercharged 1993 LS400, and I am currently waiting on an Aristo Swap for my 1996 GS300. My daily driver is a 2005 LS430 Ultra Luxury sedan. I owned (and quickly sold) a 2003 GS300 with an LS2/T56 swap out of a Pontiac GTO. Let me say first that I did not do any of the major work on any of the cars so I cannot comment or advise you on the technical aspects. I am speaking only from a driving experience standpoint. I am a forty-seven year-old physician and my time is spent with my family when I am not working. Thus, I haven't spent much time working on cars since I got married.

The LS2/T56 GS300 was a brutish, unrefined torque monster that quickly ran out of steam. It was loud and obnoxious with vibrations everywhere. Furthermore, the swap had so many little glitches that kept going wrong that it was frustrating to drive. This particular car was supposedly very well done by someone that knew what they were doing and spared no expense. I sold the car to the person that modifies and builds my cars as he had no trouble fixing the things that went wrong. This same person owns many, many modified Toyota cars including Supras, SC's, GS's, Forerunners etc. He has a GS300 with an Aristo swap that readily beat the LS2/T56 swapped GS300 on the highway. Anyway, my point is that LS2/T56 swap seems very sexy and enticing but it was really more bark than bite at the end of the day. And it was a very unrefined bulldog at that.

Think about what your LS430 is and why you enjoy it before you embark on this project. Your car may be faster but I can promise that it won't be as fast as you think that it will at this point. More importantly, it will no longer be an LS430.

Please understand that I am not trying to rain on your parade or quash your excitement. This is just a friendly word of caution from someone who has been there and experienced that same swap.

We have all known a girl that did not look quite as good the next morning when the excitement faded.
Old 07-16-16, 05:56 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lev00221
Jks24,
I own an NA-T 1997 SC300 with a v161, a supercharged 1993 LS400, and I am currently waiting on an Aristo Swap for my 1996 GS300. My daily driver is a 2005 LS430 Ultra Luxury sedan. I owned (and quickly sold) a 2003 GS300 with an LS2/T56 swap out of a Pontiac GTO. Let me say first that I did not do any of the major work on any of the cars so I cannot comment or advise you on the technical aspects. I am speaking only from a driving experience standpoint. I am a forty-seven year-old physician and my time is spent with my family when I am not working. Thus, I haven't spent much time working on cars since I got married.

The LS2/T56 GS300 was a brutish, unrefined torque monster that quickly ran out of steam. It was loud and obnoxious with vibrations everywhere. Furthermore, the swap had so many little glitches that kept going wrong that it was frustrating to drive. This particular car was supposedly very well done by someone that knew what they were doing and spared no expense. I sold the car to the person that modifies and builds my cars as he had no trouble fixing the things that went wrong. This same person owns many, many modified Toyota cars including Supras, SC's, GS's, Forerunners etc. He has a GS300 with an Aristo swap that readily beat the LS2/T56 swapped GS300 on the highway. Anyway, my point is that LS2/T56 swap seems very sexy and enticing but it was really more bark than bite at the end of the day. And it was a very unrefined bulldog at that.

Think about what your LS430 is and why you enjoy it before you embark on this project. Your car may be faster but I can promise that it won't be as fast as you think that it will at this point. More importantly, it will no longer be an LS430.

Please understand that I am not trying to rain on your parade or quash your excitement. This is just a friendly word of caution from someone who has been there and experienced that same swap.

We have all known a girl that did not look quite as good the next morning when the excitement faded.
Holy **** you wanna adopt i am only 25 haha. Also thank you for chiming in the main reason i am doing the ls swap is i live in NY and its all obd2 on 96 and up so basically i have to have a stock ecu or i will not have a street legal car. If i did not have to worry about obd2 i would have done a 2uz twin turbo swap. Also this aristocracy is it a 2jz that is in the aristo? I am not huge into the "jdm" cars and all i know is that some of the wood trim thats on the aristo did not come on our cars and i want it.
Old 07-16-16, 06:00 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Also was the car fun at least to drive, alsowhat kind of things went wrong? I am looking for a car thats pretty quick and a cruiserthat i can really romp on it when the mood strikes, my fiance and i want to have kids soon so i wanna keep a 4 door and i do not want an evo or sti and i hate Honda's. There is just something so sexy and appealing about the ls430 i do not know what it is.
Old 07-16-16, 09:27 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lev00221
Jks24,

Good input!
Old 07-17-16, 12:44 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jks24
Also was the car fun at least to drive, alsowhat kind of things went wrong? I am looking for a car thats pretty quick and a cruiserthat i can really romp on it when the mood strikes, my fiance and i want to have kids soon so i wanna keep a 4 door and i do not want an evo or sti and i hate Honda's. There is just something so sexy and appealing about the ls430 i do not know what it is.
How much are MB C63's going for these days

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stroker kits?