LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Stroker kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 12:26 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

agreed. Just make sure your ready to take the plunge. When I sold the kit I took a huge hit just to get it sold. I basically panicked.
Old 06-12-16, 02:23 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

The 2uz should be a direct swap as far as mounts, trans, etc. You may have to swap stiffer springs in the front end to compensate for the weight difference. Being that the Toyota engines are mass air sensor equipped the stock ecm has a little flexibility built in. If high boost is required you need a standalone ecm but it might be tricky to integrate if you are going with an automatic tranny. If you are going low boost you could use the stock fuel pump with a boost-a-pump setup that increases voltage to the pump to increase fuel flow.
Old 06-12-16, 04:45 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
The 2uz should be a direct swap as far as mounts, trans, etc. You may have to swap stiffer springs in the front end to compensate for the weight difference. Being that the Toyota engines are mass air sensor equipped the stock ecm has a little flexibility built in. If high boost is required you need a standalone ecm but it might be tricky to integrate if you are going with an automatic tranny. If you are going low boost you could use the stock fuel pump with a boost-a-pump setup that increases voltage to the pump to increase fuel flow.
If i swap the 2uz in and leave it a NA application then the ls430 ecu should be able to run everything? I am trying to find research on this but it is uncharted i did some you tube searching and that 4.7 liter is pretty fast man. I would want to swap the 2uz in first and lett it run with out any forced induction for a year just to make sure there is no issues that way i can address them if they are and not worry about a turbo set up on top of that make sense?
I was also looking for fuel pumps i am gonna do a duel pump set up when i turbo it two AEM 50-1215 pumps that are e85 capable and pump 320lph which should be enough.
I am gonna see if i can do a duel ecu set up when i turbo it.
Old 06-13-16, 08:46 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jks24
Awsome that is good to know about the ecu now i am thinking if the 2uz 4.7 liter just goes in bolts to the ls tranny etc would the stock ls ecu be able to handle it or would i have to go full stand alone? I am not familiar qith how similar the 2uz and 3uz are. I do not even want to mess with the 3uz now that i know the 2uz is 4.7 liters and has a cast iron block.
there is also another thread in the 2nd. gen. gs performance section where a guy put a 4.7 in his gs400 and ran it stock ecu. You should search for it.
Old 06-14-16, 06:48 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Did reading as recomended so 4.7 motor straight swap or you can do 4.7 block(2uz) with 1uz vvti heads. Does any body know if the 3uz heads are stronger than the 1uz or 2uz heads?

The stock ecu can deal with the extra .7 in displacement as well the motor mounts there is no fabbing just drop in use the ls harness sensors etc and go.

Only "draw back" is the 2uz is 82 pounds heavier, only downside you need h beams or i beams if you go over 5psi the rods are weak in the 4.7 the 1uz has the strongest apperently.

I was looking and the uz motors are pretty much almost all identical except minor changes here or there.
My question for that is i read headers are interchangeable with the 3 motors if i have ppe headers for 3uz i should be able to use them for the 2uz correct?

Last edited by Jks24; 06-15-16 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 03:02 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you buy PPE headers for a year's worth of NA driving if you are going to be going turbo anyway? I'd spend that time getting your NA tuning worked out whilst assembling the turbo hardware. Unless, ofcourse, money is no issue or all of this discussion is a dream.

And I don't mean disrespect at all. When you have a build dream, you should also be setting a vision of what you want to be the end result. And then work backwards logically to the various stages you will be going through. Which is why I say what I say - if the end result is turbocharged, then there is no sense in adding NA headers to your build stages. One step is to switch engine hardware around for the built engine, another step is to add the turbo hardware and the fueling and all of those additional bits and pieces.
Old 06-16-16, 03:44 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Why would you buy PPE headers for a year's worth of NA driving if you are going to be going turbo anyway? I'd spend that time getting your NA tuning worked out whilst assembling the turbo hardware. Unless, ofcourse, money is no issue or all of this discussion is a dream.

And I don't mean disrespect at all. When you have a build dream, you should also be setting a vision of what you want to be the end result. And then work backwards logically to the various stages you will be going through. Which is why I say what I say - if the end result is turbocharged, then there is no sense in adding NA headers to your build stages. One step is to switch engine hardware around for the built engine, another step is to add the turbo hardware and the fueling and all of those additional bits and pieces.
I still wanna do a rear mount kit because the added weight of the 2uz is 82 pounds add single/twin turbo kit you have another 80-100 pounds so that could be an additional 150-250 pounds in the front of the car, so i wanna offset that and i all ready bought the ppe headers when i was looking for my ls haha

I was actually on youtube watching the 1320 videos and was like wow....the ls430 would be a bad *** sleeper and yah thats how this whole thread was basically born.

But anyways so stock fuel system will be fine for 5psi and under correct? Anything more and i will be using the double pump aem e85 compatible that flow 310lph i think that will more than meet the fueling needs. I am still trying to figure out injectors, also on evo they run a thicker gauge wire from the fuel pump with a fuse straight to the alternator anybody know if that will mess the car up?

The end goal is a 500-900hp car with no check engine light, functioning ac, and that will pass the rigorous ny state inspection haha. But lets start with the 2uz n.a. swap and see how that goes.
Old 06-16-16, 06:54 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm not sure that a 310lph pump will be enough..depending on boost. E85 requires at least 30% more flow than what gasoline does.

And FWIW, the Denso pump found in the Supra flows 320lph. And the "Kyosan" version flows 390.
Old 06-16-16, 09:01 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RRocket
I'm not sure that a 310lph pump will be enough..depending on boost. E85 requires at least 30% more flow than what gasoline does.

And FWIW, the Denso pump found in the Supra flows 320lph. And the "Kyosan" version flows 390.
No kidding man thats good to know could you I post a link so i can read up on that, also i am sorry i wasn't clear i plan on doing two of the aem pumps for a double pump set up and i dont want to run e85 i just like having the option that way i dont have to buy all new fuel pumps if i cant reach my goal on pump gas. I would prefer to only spend $250 on two pumps once then spend $500-$600 total and have useless parts layen around yah know.
Old 06-16-16, 09:07 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
they run a thicker gauge wire from the fuel pump with a fuse straight to the alternator
Meaning, the pump sees unregulated 13.8 volts? I hope there's more to it than that, because that's a bad idea.
Hey man its been going on in the evo circle for wayyyyy long with out any adverse/negative things happening so i am just going off of knowledge that i know instead of talken out my butt haha. Also wouldn't the fuse prevent anything negative from happening?

If you have insight on any negative effects and have some data to back it up i would deffinetly like to see it.

The goal of this thread is to spread and share as much knowledge as possible many minds are better than one.
Old 06-18-16, 05:32 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

[QUOTE=Jks24;9523466]Hey man its been going on in the evo circle for wayyyyy long with out any adverse/negative things happening so i am just going off of knowledge that i know instead of talken out my butt haha. Also wouldn't the fuse prevent anything negative from happening?

If you have insight on any negative effects and have some data to back it up i would deffinetly like to see it.

The goal of this thread is to spread and share as much knowledge as possible many minds are better than one.[/QUOT

READ THIS article about engine balancing. Thanks.

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/bangshift1320-tech-stories/deep-tech-compensating-for-the-dozens-of-variable-that-affect-engine-balance-requires-serious-research-and-experimentation/
Old 06-18-16, 07:09 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
DC electrical devices are designed to run on nominal battery and voltage regulator voltage: 12.6.
Higher (and especially cycling between 12.6 and 14.2 depending on alternator speed and circuit loads) produces more pressure but also raises operating temperature, and reduces life expectancy. More complex devices develop strange symptoms (google "brown-out failure").

That no one reported failures directly attributable to this does not mean it's a good idea.
Better idea: wired directly to regulator output.

That article does not seem to recognize that a V8 engine isn't badly balanced because of failure to quantify the forces at work, but because the design is inherently out of balance regardless - perfect balance is not possible.
By comparison, an L6 is inherently in primary and secondary balance (except for rocking couple).
The take away is an OEM (Toyota) has far greater resources to balance it's engines (and this engine is arguably one of the smoothest and reliable production V8''s) than an aftermarket supplier.

The author builds engines for NASCAR...

I find him credible.

If the OP isn't going to spend $$$ for balancing-taking into account all variables on the checklist, then performance and reliability suffer.

Aside from the timing belt replacement issue, perhaps we should ask why Toyota simply didn't think of stroking the 1UZ-FE , 3UZ-FE block for the LS460....
Old 06-20-16, 06:20 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

"The author builds engines for NASCAR...

I find him credible"

Yayyyy turn left haha but seriously though you seem like you have knowledge what cars have you built you never answered my previous question?

Also not to knock you but i have read a bunch of books that were completely filled with wrong information, also take into account NASCAR cars are 800hp and are steadily going at 6000-8000 rpms for long periods of time then get tore down and rebuilt after every race, it is a completely different animal than a high horsepower street car. It is like comparing a giraffe and a tiger.
Old 06-20-16, 02:50 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if Swift Racing is still in business or not but their whipple/roots blower set up looked like an awesome kit but couldn't find any reviews or owner feedback on what tuning was used or its daily street manners. Emailed them awhile back with no response.

A 400hp LS430 with a load of torque and a limited slip differential would be an awesome daily driver. If it could be done in the 5000 to 8000 dollar range I think the kits would sell.

I wanted to purchase a greddy supercharger kit that central pine had used but when I emailed them they had zero info on install instructions, tuning or a guarantee if it was even a complete kit which I didn't want to take a 5000 dollar gamble on.

These cars are dropping in price now to open up a new market of buyers to build and modify them rather than the older first and second owners who were the keep it stock crowd.
Old 06-20-16, 03:05 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bmore430
Not sure if Swift Racing is still in business or not but their whipple/roots blower set up looked like an awesome kit but couldn't find any reviews or owner feedback on what tuning was used or its daily street manners. Emailed them awhile back with no response.

A 400hp LS430 with a load of torque and a limited slip differential would be an awesome daily driver. If it could be done in the 5000 to 8000 dollar range I think the kits would sell.

I wanted to purchase a greddy supercharger kit that central pine had used but when I emailed them they had zero info on install instructions, tuning or a guarantee if it was even a complete kit which I didn't want to take a 5000 dollar gamble on.

These cars are dropping in price now to open up a new market of buyers to build and modify them rather than the older first and second owners who were the keep it stock crowd.
I wanna order my black pearl kit from central pine i heard there like the only distributor of that kit in the US.

Anybody have the ecu pin out for the ls430? Also i need a ecu pin out for a 6 speed manual tundra with 2uz 2005-2006 then a 2007-2009 tundra 2uz ecu pin out.

If some one could give me a link to both it would appreciate it and explain what i am going to do as well as have some things to share with the group.

Just to recap i need
2000-2006 ls430 ecu pin out
2004-2005 tundra 2uz 6 speed manual ecu pin out
2007-2009 tundra 2uz with vvti with ecu pin out

Quick Reply: Stroker kits?