LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you zero the steering sensor?

Old 05-29-16, 01:07 PM
oldkystude
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do you zero the steering sensor?

Hope someone knows. I've searched these threads and read the oem manual till my head hit the screen but can't find a word on it. 2004 LS UL. No problems, no trouble codes but techstream shows its off by +165. ( you have to turn the wheel half turn to the right to get zero output.)

Again, it drives straight, wheel is straight and no codes. The car was in a minor accident a few years ago and that may be the root cause. As the vcs, active headlights and air suspension refer to that sensor I am concerned.
Old 05-30-16, 09:36 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

TSB BR001-04 is the Zero Point Calibration document for all 2004 Lexus models with Vehicle Stability Control.

There are 2 ways to do this, with TechStream and without.

With TechStream:
1) Connect TechStream to DLC3
2) Park on a level surface (inclination of less than 1%). Ensure shift lever is in "P" and parking brake is applied. Do not move, tilt, or shake the vehicle - the vehicle must be stationary throughout the entire process. Leave the engine idling.
3) In the OBD Menu, go to option 4 (ABS/VSC/TRAC), press ENTER to the warning screen, then in the Diagnostic Menu, select option 6 (Reset Memory), select YES, press ENTER to the COMPLETED screen, then select option 7 (Signal Check), press ENTER to CONTINUE, then wait for the VSC/TRAC/ABS lights to flash at 0.13 second intervals, then press EXIT, then press YES to the confirm exit screen.
4) Drive vehicle for 5 minutes to confirm Zero Point Calibration is complete. Note Steering Angle Sensor may remain at 1150 until the vehicle reaches 28mph. This is a normal condition until the learned values of the steering angle have been achieved.

Without TechStream:
1) Park on a level surface (less than 1% inclination), do not tilt, move, or shake the vehicle, ensure shift lever is in "P"
2) Turn ignition to ON
3) Using SST 09843-18040 or a paperclip, repeat a cycle of short and open between terminals Ts (pin 12) and CG (pin 4) of the DLC3 4 times or more without 8 seconds.
4) Verify VSC light is lit indicating the recorded zero point is erased
5) Turn ignition to OFF
6) Ensure Ts and CG pins are disconnected
7) Turn ignition to ON
8) Check that VSC light goes off after about 15 seconds after ignition is turned ON
9) After ensuring the VSC light remains off for 2 seconds, turn ignition to OFF
10) Connect Ts and CG again
11) Turn ignition ON
12) After turning ignition on, check that VSC light is lit for 4 seconds and then starts quick blinking at 0.13 second intervals
13) After ensuring the blinking of the VSC light for 2 seconds, turn ignition to OFF
14) Remove the short between Ts and CG
15) Drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes to confirm Zero Point Calibration is complete. Note Steering Angle Sensor may remain at 1150 until the vehicle reaches 28mph. This is a normal condition until the learned values of the steering angle have been achieved.
The following users liked this post:
L8Shift (03-16-22)
Old 06-01-16, 10:21 AM
MRLexus90
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldkystude
Hope someone knows. I've searched these threads and read the oem manual till my head hit the screen but can't find a word on it. 2004 LS UL. No problems, no trouble codes but techstream shows its off by +165. ( you have to turn the wheel half turn to the right to get zero output.)

Again, it drives straight, wheel is straight and no codes. The car was in a minor accident a few years ago and that may be the root cause. As the vcs, active headlights and air suspension refer to that sensor I am concerned.
It sounds similar to an issue i had with my 2001 UL. Having that angle sensor off calibration throws the steering and suspension damping forces out of tune. The only way i know of to do this correctly is to have Techstream running while it's being aligned. That way someone sitting inside can set the wheel to zero while the tech dials in the toe. I posted a write-up with sourced pages from the FSM about two months ago; just click on my username and you should be able to view and access them while you're at the shop. Good luck man! Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-16, 07:37 AM
oldkystude
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That tsb data is the missing key! I thought the techstream system must have that capability but I kept getting the paper clip procedure everywhere I looked. I'll try this procedure today. I can only read techstream data on the road for about 20 minutes before my ancient laptop battery dies. I'm going to order an inverter today so I can see these pages in the road. I really appreciate your help guys! I just spent $100 on diagnosis at a local Toyota independent shop which is actually very good but I think the fine points of air suspension was a bit of a stretch for them. They did assure me that my struts are all good. Wife is planning a long trip in a week and I needed that assurance.

I'll report back to this thread.