LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 daily driver project

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 08:03 AM
flwy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls430 daily driver project

What's up guys. I just recently picked up a 2001 ls430 ultra luxury. It has 124k, and has 6 pages of service history at a Lexus dealer up until 110k. I got the car so I didn't have to continue to drive my Audi every day and break things. So far I am loving the car. Super comfortable, quick enough for what it is, and just overall an awesome car to drive.

So far I have just done some basic maintenance, the serp belt was in pretty bad shape so I replaced that, changed the oil and filter, and I just got some denso iridium plugs to put in. It looks like everything major has been done, but are there any other preventative maintenance things I should do immediately? I'm used to euro cars, and the main reason I got the ls is for the reliability.

Once I get it all up to par maintenance wise, I'm going to slowly start the mods. My Audi is super modded, so I plan on keeping the LS pretty mild, as it is my daily. I'm planning on 20s, the air controller, and maybe the youzeland kit if it's not low enough.

I do have some questions about the air, as this is my first car with airride. Can I upgrade the oem compressor and add in a small tank to speed up the air up/down times, or is it the airlines that cause most of the restriction?

I'm looking forward to getting into customizing the LS, but it's going to be slowly so I can finish my Audi first.

<br > <br >
Old 05-14-16, 09:35 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the club, fl. You're question may have been discussed on here already, so if you search, you may find what you are seeking. Sorry I'm no help, but again, welcome aboard!
Old 05-14-16, 10:42 AM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you going to 20 inch rims for aesthetics or to improve handling?

Most people agree that anything larger than a 17" rim on an ls430 has undesirable noise / ride quality / tire cost trade-offs.

The car has double wishbone suspension all around so they don't take big rims / low profile tires like the lower end german cars with their macphearson struts. If you're looking for a better handling car, consider 17/18 inch rims and replace your air suspension with sport suspension struts and lowering springs.

Also, Japanese cars use the fluids sacrificially. Consider replacing the differential fluid, transmission fluid , power steering fluid, and brake fluid if they haven't been replaced in the last 30k miles.
Old 05-14-16, 12:01 PM
flwy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airchomper
Are you going to 20 inch rims for aesthetics or to improve handling?

Most people agree that anything larger than a 17" rim on an ls430 has undesirable noise / ride quality / tire cost trade-offs.

The car has double wishbone suspension all around so they don't take big rims / low profile tires like the lower end german cars with their macphearson struts. If you're looking for a better handling car, consider 17/18 inch rims and replace your air suspension with sport suspension struts and lowering springs.

Also, Japanese cars use the fluids sacrificially. Consider replacing the differential fluid, transmission fluid , power steering fluid, and brake fluid if they haven't been replaced in the last 30k miles.
All the fluids were done about 20k ago and they all look good, all oem stuff. My friends all have Jdm cars so Theyre steering me in the right direction.

I want to do 20s for aesthetics. Maybe 19s, I think anything smaller looks tiny if the car is low. I'm love how the car handles, but I'm willing to compromise that a bit so it will look how I want. I'm going to be doing some more performance stuff on the Audi, so the LS is pretty much just my daily. I just want it to look good and drive comfortably
Old 05-14-16, 05:01 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flwy
I just want it to look good and drive comfortably
Then leave it alone.
Old 05-14-16, 06:02 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Assuming you want it to ride good and have some kind of stance. Get the datasystem with youzealand brackets and maybe 19s
Old 05-14-16, 06:05 PM
flwy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
Assuming you want it to ride good and have some kind of stance. Get the datasystem with youzealand brackets and maybe 19s
Would it air out low enough it tuck 19s a bit with the youzealand pro kit? I understand the ride will be worse, I'm fine with that. Im sure it will still be comfortable, I have 32k Spring rates on my Audi so I'm used to extremely stiff suspension.
Old 05-14-16, 06:51 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it will tuck with both datasystem and youzealand
Old 06-10-16, 05:08 AM
flwy
Driver School Candidate

Kinda forgot I made this thread, I haven't done much besides some maintenance and just enjoying the car. I shortened the front sensors and adjusted the rears to go a bit lower.
I also had some time to test fit my front lxz (19x10.5et5) and my friends Cerberus (19x10.5et18). I really like how the Cerberus fit, so I'll probably run specs similar to that when I get wheels. Hanging with some friends. My friend just bought that super clean ls400.<br ><br > Sensors adjusted <br ><br > Cerberus test fit <br ><br >
Old 06-10-16, 07:17 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice Audi and congratulations on picking the LS for the daily can't go wrong there. Your friend's wheel looks good for a daily setup.