i just bought a 06 - couple question issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 06:55 PM
mrhenry123
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i just bought a 06 - couple question issues

i did a search but ....

1) of course the week after i get it.... i unlocked the windows and lowered the rear passenger side window. of course it will not stay up. i have to hold the button up and then lock the windows to get it to stay up.

from the searches looks to be a bad window control module. now is it the drivers one or the rear passenger ?

2) anyone have part numbers for front hood shocks and trunk shocks off hand and a good place to buy them from ?

3) telescopic steering wheel goes in and out. up and down dont seem to do anything ? big fix ?

thanks
Old 04-29-16, 07:09 PM
mrhenry123
Driver

couple of searches found some videos on 2001s

is the steering wheel suppose to do anything on these cars on started up or down by itself ?

tks
Old 04-29-16, 07:26 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No.3 is a common issue. Mines does not go up or down either. I believe you need to replace to telescopic motor.

No.1. Maybe try cleaning the top of the window area
Old 04-29-16, 08:46 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hood and trunk struts are simple to replace. Check out Strongarm brand. I just replaced both on my 2005. I got mine on ebay for around 70.00 for both.

Your tilt motor most likely needs replacing. It's around 275.00 for the motor and 1 hour to replace.
Old 04-29-16, 08:48 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331049374742?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 04-30-16, 12:25 PM
mrhenry123
Driver

stopped by autonation and put those new struts on....

is the trunk suppose to pop open completely on its on or ? mine opens up about an inch and then i have to raise it by hand.... after the new shocks
Old 04-30-16, 12:27 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhenry123
stopped by autonation and put those new struts on....

is the trunk suppose to pop open completely on its on or ? mine opens up about an inch and then i have to raise it by hand.... after the new shocks
That's it, you have to raise the trunk lid manually with assist from the struts.
Old 04-30-16, 03:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Yea the trunk opens about 3/4 of an inch and then you have manually lift it the rest of the way up. And it weirdly feels like it weighs about 30 lbs to lift for the first 12 inches or so as you lift. Not sure who at Lexus decided that was the luxury operational feel for the trunk lid but I am sure someone decided it should work like it does. There is very little that is haphazard about how the car operates.

The test for the struts is that they will still hold the trunk open when the lid is closed about 1/3 of the way from full open. If the trunk lid falls from that point you need to replace the struts.

Same is true for the hood struts. If the struts allow the hood to fall for about 5-10% closed from full open they need to be replaced - the hood struts are more critical because a falling hood can very seriously injure a person depending on what gets cut or crushed as it falls. I learned my hood struts needed to be replaced when I hung a very light shop light from the open hood latch and then 2minutes later it slammed shut from full open. If I had had a hand or head over the engine bay when it slammed down I would have been on the way to the hospital.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-30-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 07:45 AM
mrhenry123
Driver

thx

is there a way to MANUALLY adjust the tilt wheel ? if i could get it to a spot that is comfortable i would need to fix that motor.
Old 05-01-16, 03:54 PM
JefDav84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhenry123
i did a search but ....

1) of course the week after i get it.... i unlocked the windows and lowered the rear passenger side window. of course it will not stay up. i have to hold the button up and then lock the windows to get it to stay up.

from the searches looks to be a bad window control module. now is it the drivers one or the rear passenger ?

2) anyone have part numbers for front hood shocks and trunk shocks off hand and a good place to buy them from ?

3) telescopic steering wheel goes in and out. up and down dont seem to do anything ? big fix ?

thanks
#3 I have a 2003 and mine goes in and out but not up and down. For now what I did is I turned on car and brought it all the way out, and then pulled the fuse on drivers side floorboard. This keeps the wheel all the way out at all times. This helps with getting in and out of car easier. I was bumping my knees when getting in the car when the wheel was all the way in. May get it fixed later but not at top of my list for now.
Old 05-03-16, 04:31 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

FWIW, When I bought my LS, the telescopic portion of the motor did not work. I took the covers off the column and was able to disconnect the motor from the column and lubricate the snot out of it. I then manually operated by hand, and it seemed to free it up. After reassembling, it worked fine. Here we are a year and a half later and it still works...

Will this fix every one? Probably not, but it's worth a shot to lubricate it and see if it will move.
Old 05-03-16, 11:06 AM
KRE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the reason the trunk lid is heavy at first and requires manual opening is that in a high wind this prevents it flying open.

Keith
Old 05-03-16, 02:07 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by JefDav84
#3 I have a 2003 and mine goes in and out but not up and down. For now what I did is I turned on car and brought it all the way out, and then pulled the fuse on drivers side floorboard. This keeps the wheel all the way out at all times. This helps with getting in and out of car easier. I was bumping my knees when getting in the car when the wheel was all the way in. May get it fixed later but not at top of my list for now.
I disabled the automatic feature when getting in and out of the car as soon as I purchased the car 6 years ago. My history of the car showed the column was replaced after one year from new and problematic after as well. It's one of the weak links in LS430 ownership. For me I keep it at one setting and is no big deal. The dealership needs to disable it on their computers. It is not a DIY.
Old 05-03-16, 07:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I disabled the automatic feature when getting in and out of the car as soon as I purchased the car 6 years ago. My history of the car showed the column was replaced after one year from new and problematic after as well. It's one of the weak links in LS430 ownership. For me I keep it at one setting and is no big deal. The dealership needs to disable it on their computers. It is not a DIY.
Agree - In order to preserve the motors I also had the auto steering wheel movement on entry feature disabled by the Lexus dealer about 5-6 years ago. It is a setting in the cbest settings and requires someone with the appropriate hw/sw and tech knowledge to do it. Manual adjust works fine with the setting disabled.

I also had the dealer disable the pesky poorly designed head rest reposition feature that would move the head rest up when the seat was moved. Two cbest settings that are worth doing.
Old 05-04-16, 07:57 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I am suffering from the same issue (very common issue it seems).... I downloaded Tech stream off a Toyota hobby site and got a $14 adapter on ebay I disabled it myself...

Yep, it can be DIY, if you can find the tools for it

Quick Reply: i just bought a 06 - couple question issues