LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 06:56 AM
Rosson3ri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Locks

Recently got a flat tire, went to change it and broke the damn wheel lock with wheel still on the car. Had to tow my car to my mechanic.

Does everyone here use wheel locks? Where can i buy a set of stock Lexus wheel locks? I currently do not have any on.

Also ive seen newer Lexus models with no wheel locks at all.
Old 04-05-16, 07:13 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Here is the correct factory wheel lock description. Search on ebay for $29.99 free delivery.
< Alloy Wheel Lock Set Genuine Toyota Factory Part NEW 00276-00900>

I use wheel locks on all LS's. Be sure to register the key with the manufacturer so that if it breaks, you can get a replacement key or wheel lock.
Old 04-05-16, 07:57 AM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can always stop by your local toyota/lexus and they can get the correct number from there master lock set and then get the correct one ordered from mcgard. 1800-444-5847 tell them what number you have, but its probably easier and cheaper to get a whole new set online.
Old 04-05-16, 08:07 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you live in a nice area...you probably don't even need the locks. It's kind of a hassle when you lose or break the key. I don't hear too many stories of people getting their wheels jacked anymore. Not like the 90s.
Old 04-05-16, 10:22 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Sure, you can go without $30 wheel locks, just like you can go without Collision and Comprehensive insurance. It's a cost/risk-benefit analysis: $30 wheel locks to protect wheels and tires and the hassle to replace them (as well as possibly being stranded) when you see your LS on cinder blocks or on the brake rotors (not to mention the possible collateral damage).
Old 04-05-16, 10:42 AM
swegyptian
Driver School Candidate

I use anti-seize on my wheel studs to make this less of an issue. Sometimes when I go to loosen the lugnuts, they are really stuck. I've broken sockets trying to remove over tightened lugnuts.
Old 04-05-16, 04:58 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swegyptian
I use anti-seize on my wheel studs to make this less of an issue. Sometimes when I go to loosen the lugnuts, they are really stuck. I've broken sockets trying to remove over tightened lugnuts.
"Antiseize" wouldn't make the lugnuts tighter, just the opposite. Do you use thread locker on the lug studs? Anything on the threads changes the torque readings -- if you torque the lugnuts.
Old 04-05-16, 11:08 PM
swegyptian
Driver School Candidate

I use the anti seize to prevent them from getting stuck. Just a dab does it for me, and then torque to 100 ft-lbs. Check at 100 and 500 miles to be sure nothing is loose. I started doing it after breaking a socket and breaker bar while trying to remove lugs that were over-tightened. I never meant to imply that it would somehow make things hold tight.
Old 04-06-16, 02:41 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

2001 manual says
torque specs 76 ft-lbs
no wonder you have a hard time getting them loose.
Get a torque wrench - you will need it for all kinds of fasteners
Old 04-06-16, 02:52 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

I use the anti seize to prevent them from getting stuck. Just a dab does it for me, and then torque to 100 ft-lbs. Check at 100 and 500 miles to be sure nothing is loose. I started doing it after breaking a socket and breaker bar while trying to remove lugs that were over-tightened. I never meant to imply that it would somehow make things hold tight.
100 ft. lbs. plus anti-seize (a lubricant) to the lug bolt threads so the true torque is actually well-above 100 ft. lbs. The wheel torque specs are 76 ft. lbs. and based on dry threads.
Old 04-06-16, 03:21 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Yes, I use wheel locks, they came with the car. I always torque to 76ft.lbs using a torque wrench - never had a problem removing any lugs.

Originally Posted by Tom57
100 ft. lbs. plus anti-seize (a lubricant) to the lug bolt threads so the true torque is actually well-above 100 ft. lbs. The wheel torque specs are 76 ft. lbs. and based on dry threads.
Exactly this. Do not use any anti-seize, lubricant, or any coating on these threads. 100 ft.lbs with anti-seize is more than 100ft.lbs dry, which greatly exceeds factory spec. This can accelerate deterioration of rotors and wheel bearings.
Old 04-06-16, 07:37 PM
swegyptian
Driver School Candidate

I'll back off a wee. I had a bad experience when I friend insisted that I only torque to 80, and I had a wheel wobble loose within a few miles.
Old 04-11-16, 02:46 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll back off a wee. I had a bad experience when I friend insisted that I only torque to 80, and I had a wheel wobble loose within a few miles.
Was this on a wheel with anti seize applied?

As others have stated, you're doing it all wrong and having the exact opposite effect of that you intend.

The torque specs are intended for dry threads. No less torque, no more torque....just right...

By adding anti-seize you reduce the thread friction dramatically. So if you tighten to spec, you've actually overtightened and even then, because of the anti-seize the nuts are MORE likely to loosen.
Old 04-11-16, 03:23 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Taking the wheel lugnut lock off was one of the 1st 'mods' I did when I bought my LS.

I had multiple bad experiences with my previous Acura 3.5RL's wheel locks. It all started, of course, the 1st time I took the RL to have tires installed. Of course, I gave the 'key' to the lugnut lock to the service writer. When they were done, the told me they placed the key in my glove box. No problem, I thought.

Fast forward about 7,500 when I went to rotate the tires myself, and not one, but TWO of the lugnut locks were BENT and DEFORMED by those grease monkeys using air tools and not properly/perfectly placing the 'key' into the 'lock', so the shape was all bent up (not to mention RUSTY.)

I then had to contact McGard and send them the vehicle VIN, proof of ownership, etc, so I could then place a $29.99 order for a replacement key. (I bought the car used so I couldn't register with McGard on day #1.)

Anyway, the grease-monkeys placed the lugs on so tight that I, myself, bent/warped the REPLACEMENT key while taking off all the lugs!

After that experience, and knowing I'm not going to leave my car unattended on a dark run-down area subject to vandalism, I said, NEVER AGAIN.

So yea----I bought a set of Lexus lugnuts (actually I think I managed to get them to throw in for free or really reduced price) during a pricey routine/preventive service on the 430.

Honestly, it's not the 80's anymore and for whatever reason, stealing rims isn't as common as it used to be. But if you want to take your chances that a mechanic will loosen/tighten those locks absolutely perfectly????....then go for it, and leave the locks on.
Old 04-11-16, 08:47 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosson3ri
Recently got a flat tire, went to change it and broke the damn wheel lock with wheel still on the car. Had to tow my car to my mechanic.

Does everyone here use wheel locks? Where can i buy a set of stock Lexus wheel locks? I currently do not have any on.

Also ive seen newer Lexus models with no wheel locks at all.
I lost the damn wheel-lock socket. Took it to a shop and all they did was take an slightly oversized hardened socket and pound it onto the wheel-lock with a sledgehammer. They then used an impact gun to take it off. Seemed really easy.

To me they are like copy-protection for software. They make it harder for legitimate users, but easier for people who pirate.

I removed the locks and bought extra non-locking sockets. I don't want to take the chance of having to go through that again and I live in a decent area of town. The car is now old and the standard wheels are nothing special, so I see little risk.

Quick Reply: Wheel Locks