LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

140k on rotors

Old 04-02-16, 07:54 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 140k on rotors

This will be thrid brake job. Plan on Lexus pads. No vibration from rotors should I replace em with this many miles? Thanks NCAA tonight
Old 04-02-16, 08:16 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 89K on my original rotors and they still look new. If your rotors look good, I would just clean them up and slap on new pads.
Old 04-02-16, 08:25 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks neighbor To bad Bucky not in final 4
Old 04-02-16, 10:50 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If they are still within operational thickness, keep going. The ones on the 400 have 206K on the original rotors. YMMV obviously.
Old 04-03-16, 07:41 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I have run the Centric treated rotors and will prolly get them the more I think of it for 80 bucks for fronts to my door. When I let the LS sit the rotors get rusty and sound feel gravely for a mile or so. If anyone has the Centric does the electro plating prevent this or is it jsut effective on the area not contacvted by pads/ Tom57?
Old 04-03-16, 10:19 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

If you're not getting any vibration, I would just slap new pads on it.

But some people are more **** about that sort of thing; that a brake job needs to be 100% complete with either new or turned rotors, new pads, new shims, new mounting bolts, brakes flushed and bled, etc. But I've only put new pads on in certain situations and never had any problems.

Originally Posted by warminwisc
If anyone has the Centric does the electro plating prevent this or is it jsut effective on the area not contacvted by pads/ Tom57?

The plating is only for where the rotor mounts to the hub, it keeps them from getting stuck together from corrosion. It's also just keeps that area looking clean and not brown from the rust.

It's a nice bonus, but I've never had an issue with that where I live.

I've had good luck with Centric Premium rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads.

Last edited by BradTank; 04-03-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-03-16, 10:37 AM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have the disc's thickness measured to make sure it's still in spec. A great deal of the brake's function involves the disc's mass. If it's too thin you are asking for problems.
Old 04-04-16, 02:43 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
You should have the disc's thickness measured to make sure it's still in spec. A great deal of the brake's function involves the disc's mass. If it's too thin you are asking for problems.
+1 - exactly right.

Not sure how much the LS430 rotor wears over time, depends on previous pads and overall use, environment, etc. I'd guess. If I was replacing my pads at over 100k miles on the rotors I'd most likely have the rotor thickness checked just to be safe.
Old 04-04-16, 07:36 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I have run the Centric treated rotors and will prolly get them the more I think of it for 80 bucks for fronts to my door. When I let the LS sit the rotors get rusty and sound feel gravely for a mile or so. If anyone has the Centric does the electro plating prevent this or is it jsut effective on the area not contacvted by pads/ Tom57?
Hey Warm, I have the Centric treated premium rotors on our Sienna. Agree with you they are a fine rotor. (In fact, I've seen seen Centric rotor boxes at Lexus dealer in the Parts Dept.)

The electro plating on the Centric premium rotors is on the hub of the rotor only. The rust that you refer to after the vehicle sits awhile on the rotor surface where the pad contacts is inevitable. The brake pads rub the rust off anyway. That happens even with so-called "dealer" rotors (that may in fact be Centric rotors).
Old 04-04-16, 04:34 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Never even thought about that, always just thought if you were getting uneven break pressure from the rotor being warped you should replace them. Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-05-16, 07:24 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Measuring thickness is only good for knowing how much life you have left. LS430 spec is 30mm standard thickness, 28mm minimum.

For diagnosing vibration, you should measure disc thickness VARIATION (DTV) at several points on the disc, using a micrometer at 8 different places around the diameter of the disc, about 10mm from the outer edge. DTV is measured by subtracting the smallest thickness measurement from the largest. Anything greater than 0.0008" (0.02mm) means the rotor needs resurfacing or replacing. Rusted portions of the disc wear at a different rate than non-corroded areas, resulting in excessive DTV. Prevent rust by keeping your rotors salt-free and don't leave your car unused for weeks/months at a time.

While you are at it, measuring the other primary cause of vibration - lateral runout - using a clamp-on-frame dial gauge such as https://www.accusizetools.com/0510-0...ll-joint-gage/. Poor mating of the disc to the hub can cause excessive runout, as can excessive and/or uneven torque when installing lugnuts.

2001-2003 LS430 runout spec for Europe/GCC/Australia is 0.02mm maximum, 0.05mm max for outside of those areas ie. US and Canada. 2004-2005 spec is 0.05mm max regardless of location.

When my odometer hit 85000km, I replaced my front rotors with OEM due to vibration. When my odometer hit 138000km, I replaced my rear rotors with Raybestos Advanced Techonology due to vibration, choosing this rotor because 1) they publish manufacturing specifications, unlike most other brands, 2) the manufacturing tolerances/standards are better than what anyone else claims.

Don't forget when you install new rotors, measure runout (which will caused by the hub if there is any at all) and install the rotor on the position with the lowest hub runout. This will help ensure maximum rotor life.
Attached Thumbnails 140k on rotors-check_disc.png  
Old 04-05-16, 07:55 AM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah exactly what he said, but what i've seen at toyota if the rotor has been through 3 brake jobs and the rotors were cut each time its about time to change them. but definitely check the thickness of the rotors.
Old 04-05-16, 08:11 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I usually just replace my rotors she ever doing a brake job. Rotors aren't that expensive
Old 04-05-16, 11:52 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

who makes the OEM rotors?
Old 04-05-16, 03:24 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
I usually just replace my rotors she ever doing a brake job. Rotors aren't that expensive
Yeah I had to replace my pads, so I put brembo rotors all around

Pretty cheap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 140k on rotors