LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tanabe DF210 Lowering Springs on LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 06:56 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good and excellent write up, man!
Loved the integration of both before and after pictures. No point of doing that when my spacers get in then

Glad I went with 12mm in the front. Since when I air out, my wheels fill up the fenders. But we'll see. They should be here tomorrow, or this weekend.

Originally Posted by tradosauru
If stating fact is trolling then I stand accused.

I just wish those pimping out Lexus would just stick to Hondas and cadillacs.
What? Do you own Lexus or something? I didn't know that you did, my bad.

Don't judge people's cars, man. Every owner has the right to mod their cars, however they like. Whether it was a Lexus, Honda, or even a Cadillac.

You know how you wish to not see pimped out Lexus cars, I wish I wouldn't see people like you around cars all the time judging everyone's opinion.
Old 03-11-16, 08:04 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If stating fact is trolling then I stand accused.

I just wish those pimping out Lexus would just stick to Hondas and cadillacs.
Lowering a vehicle an inch or two = pimping out a vehicle?

Old 03-11-16, 03:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by KING
...Don't judge people's cars, man...
Here's the problem with this - when you post something on a forum, you're going to get opinions. Some may agree with your choices, others will not. If you are not willing to tolerate the opinions of those who disagree with your choices, you should not post on a public forum where members are free to comment. I see plenty of things here on Club Lexus I would never consider doing to my car, but there are always supporters and detractors regardless of your focus.

At the same time, I will say very clearly, anything resembling a personal attack will not be tolerated on Club Lexus. The moderating team takes personal attacks very seriously. Members are free to disagree and post their disagreements, but it must be respectful and considerate. If you find you consistently disagree with someone, use the ignore capability to ensure you do not see posts from the person whose opinion you don't wish to see.
Old 03-11-16, 04:47 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Here's the problem with this - when you post something on a forum, you're going to get opinions. Some may agree with your choices, others will not. If you are not willing to tolerate the opinions of those who disagree with your choices, you should not post on a public forum where members are free to comment. I see plenty of things here on Club Lexus I would never consider doing to my car, but there are always supporters and detractors regardless of your focus.

At the same time, I will say very clearly, anything resembling a personal attack will not be tolerated on Club Lexus. The moderating team takes personal attacks very seriously. Members are free to disagree and post their disagreements, but it must be respectful and considerate. If you find you consistently disagree with someone, use the ignore capability to ensure you do not see posts from the person whose opinion you don't wish to see.
Look, I appreciate your politeness in this reply. But I have to say, I only agree partially with what you said.

It's just getting boring, seeing these replies that only state, "how awful", "I don't like to see this done to cars", "rice", etc. I'm sure you're aware of that more than me.
It is the issue of replying with a negative reply, meaning to shatter OP's work and what they did, now I don't know about you or this forum, but that isn't acceptable by any means.

And that shouldn't be the environment around these whereabouts. What I loved from you was the idea to "ignore" posts that you don't like.
*Just don't say anything if you have a negative vibe about it, jesus! Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?!

#STOP_CYBER_BULLYING
Old 03-11-16, 05:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Click on the username you want to ignore. Select public profile. Click on user lists. Select ignore. You'll never see their posts again.
Old 03-14-16, 08:55 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click on the username you want to ignore. Select public profile. Click on user lists. Select ignore. You'll never see their posts again.
Good advice.

Also, a minor update: This weekend I loaded the car up with four adults and it didn't rub once. Yay!
Old 03-14-16, 09:35 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the topic at hand.

If you do extensive highway driving you should report back if you see a difference in MPG. I know there are a lot of factors that go into it.

Also, has it settled anymore? Would imagine so
Old 03-14-16, 10:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If it "settled" then the install was done incorrectly. Properly lowered vehicles do not settle at all. The factory service manual explicitly states all of the suspension bushing bolts are to be loosened, the car bounced at least 3 times, and then with the suspension at the new normal ride height, the bolts are to be tightened.

"Settling" is nothing like what it sounds. It is actually the rubber in the bushings breaking down more rapidly because they are not at neutral when the should be. This leads to premature bushing failure and large repair bills because Lexus does not often provide the bushings separate from the suspension part. Sometimes there are aftermarket bushings, but they tend to be for performance cars and they're polyurethane so they have more NVH than OEM.
The following users liked this post:
Kbesker (02-17-22)
Old 03-14-16, 01:56 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
Back to the topic at hand.

If you do extensive highway driving you should report back if you see a difference in MPG. I know there are a lot of factors that go into it.

Also, has it settled anymore? Would imagine so
I don't drive on the freeway very often. I live downtown and 1 mile from work. I haven't noticed any settling.

If it "settled" then the install was done incorrectly. Properly lowered vehicles do not settle at all. The factory service manual explicitly states all of the suspension bushing bolts are to be loosened, the car bounced at least 3 times, and then with the suspension at the new normal ride height, the bolts are to be tightened.

"Settling" is nothing like what it sounds. It is actually the rubber in the bushings breaking down more rapidly because they are not at neutral when the should be. This leads to premature bushing failure and large repair bills because Lexus does not often provide the bushings separate from the suspension part. Sometimes there are aftermarket bushings, but they tend to be for performance cars and they're polyurethane so they have more NVH than OEM.
Dang, I definitely didn't do that on every bushing. I had it aligned after it was lowered. Would you recommend a second alignment after the shake-down? This would basically be loosening the bolts through the bushings all the control arms?
Old 03-14-16, 08:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by notwealthy
...Dang, I definitely didn't do that on every bushing. I had it aligned after it was lowered. Would you recommend a second alignment after the shake-down? This would basically be loosening the bolts through the bushings all the control arms?
I would recommend at least checking the alignment unless your current set of tires is near EOL. If they are nearly dead, then get the alignment done when you get new tires. If the tires on the car are good for more than 10k miles, then an alignment to be sure they won't be killed is a really good plan.
Old 03-14-16, 10:19 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks pretty good... I wanted to get specs for some H&R spacers and the ones you have seem just right.
Old 03-15-16, 08:06 AM
notwealthy
Driver

I would recommend at least checking the alignment unless your current set of tires is near EOL. If they are nearly dead, then get the alignment done when you get new tires. If the tires on the car are good for more than 10k miles, then an alignment to be sure they won't be killed is a really good plan.
Yeah it's a set of Pirellis with 10/32nds so I probably ought to at least check. Thank you for the help!

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Looks pretty good... I wanted to get specs for some H&R spacers and the ones you have seem just right.
Yeah, just order them for an SC430 of the same year. They don't list LS430 in their applications, but the hub is the same.
Old 03-23-16, 09:36 AM
cerushio31
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good! is there any reason why you didn't go with coilovers?
Old 03-23-16, 02:34 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What advantage is there from lowering your car?
you lower the center of gravity. The car sits more planted, corners flatter expecially with the beefier rear sway bar
Old 03-23-16, 04:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by semar
you lower the center of gravity. The car sits more planted, corners flatter expecially with the beefier rear sway bar
Maybe. Depends on a lot of things whether that actually delivers or not.

Quick Reply: Tanabe DF210 Lowering Springs on LS430