LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Uncomfortable seat dilemma - Custom cushion X New OEM cushion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 01:12 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Uncomfortable seat dilemma - Custom cushion X New OEM cushion?

Hi fellas,
As a common problem that has been discussed a lot with some LS430 driver's facing back issues and just feeling that the driver's seat is uncomfortable at times, especially during long trips.

That issue was assumably traced to the weight that has been put on the driver's cushion for the many years of ownership, and how the foam cushion can lose it's rigidity over time and pressure.
And the driver's seat is no doubt the most seat that has been sat on for the life of the car, and that is why this issue appears with the driver's seat first.

Here is a sample of what an old cushion looks like put next to a new one.
Photo credit to "Simmsled" who has exchanged this in his 3GS, after experiencing the same issue.

As you can see the exterior deterioration of the pad, surely the inner structure has taken some abuse as well.

I am not meaning to focus this debate on how/why the issue happened.

But instead, more of, what was your perfect fix for it? Care to share?
(assuming you have the uncomfortable seat issue)

-

I have considered the 2 main routes people went about this in the past:

1- Buy a new seat cushion from Lexus. Costs $200, and putting the new cushion in the seat, at an upholster shop is ~$30.

The pros about this one is you really can't go wrong with it. You will eventually have the driver's cushion like it was on the day they made the car.

2- Custom made cushion at an upholster shop.

After visiting several upholster shops, it seems like the going price is also $200.
They will fill the seats ergonomically with very high quality foam. Starting by laying padding first on the base of the seat. Then filling up the very high part of the seat until the leather contours around it perfectly.

Pro about this one is, if done correctly it might leave you with a better more comfortable seat than OEM. It might even last longer.

Which seems like a better idea to you? Comfortability wise and also reliability wise in the future. If you would, please share your experiences and any tips that might help.

Let the "OEM vs aftermarket" debate, unleash!

Thank you for reading!

*As in my personal opinion, I am leaning on ordering the OEM cushion, as I just feel that I will be in a better state of mind with that option. Just knowing for sure that it will work, and that it will not interfere with the heated/cooled ventilators for the seat. But would still love to hear any previous stories with this issue.

Last edited by KING; 03-07-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-07-16, 01:29 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I have this issue as well.

The only thing you might need to be concerned about are the LS models with the air vent seats. You would probably want to go with a factory pad that has the right ventilation holes to allow airflow if that's important to you. Personally though, I think the vented seats are worthless in these cars so you might not even care either way if you don't use them. Other cars I've used this feature is actually useful.

But outside of that, I would prefer just have a good upholestery shop put their own foam in themselves as age has probably stretched out the leather so even with an OEM pad it's probably going to look baggy and not fit very well. I would also not want to waste the money on factory foam that is only going to break down again. Whatever Lexus uses in these simply doesn't hold up.

Also, I'm amazed you could find a shop willing to swap in a factory pad for $30 in labor. If they could do that job for $30, they could just stick some generic foam in there for another $5 as the material itself is dirt cheap.
Old 03-07-16, 02:23 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I replaced the cushion about 2.5 years ago. Generally, I am pleased. The discomfort during long trips is significantly decreased and the air through the vent holes is much improved. Either way, I think you will be fine.
Old 03-07-16, 02:58 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above posters in regards to the airflow probably being better in an OE cushion. I also can't imagine a shop replacing the pad for $30 labor using customer supplied parts. It's easy but not *that* easy. If I were you, I would buy the OE pad and learn to do the labor yourself. I've had lots of seat upholstery off different cars (not my LS430, admittedly) and it's really forgiving and easy to put back on. Take your seat out, flip it over, disconnect seat heater elements, and cut the hog rings that secure the upholstery. Swap out your pad and heater element, slip the leather back on, and re-secure it with new hog rings using hog ring pliers. It's a good skill to have in your back pocket. Next time you have a seat heater or upholstery problem, you'll have no trouble diving in and fixing it.
Old 03-07-16, 06:21 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

our seats doesnt have a heating element,it has hot air blowing up plastic tubes.i changed the seat pad out about 8 months ago and the difference i noticed is when you push down on the old pad it had no resistance.the new pad was much harder to compress.i am so glad i changed mine and i dont have to reposition my seat bottom anymore to find that sweet spot.i drove 800 miles and didnt adjust it once.
The following users liked this post:
Vmost66 (03-21-18)
Old 03-09-16, 07:48 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
our seats doesnt have a heating element,it has hot air blowing up plastic tubes.i changed the seat pad out about 8 months ago and the difference i noticed is when you push down on the old pad it had no resistance.the new pad was much harder to compress.i am so glad i changed mine and i dont have to reposition my seat bottom anymore to find that sweet spot.i drove 800 miles and didnt adjust it once.
Huh, I had no idea. That explains why my seat doesn't get warm on my short commute since I don't drive long enough to get the heater working.
Old 03-09-16, 11:19 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

can you post a pic of your seat

my seat leather bottom has a little bit of "give/play" and isn't tight as my other lexus. i am wondering if the LS430 is supposed to be like that or ex owner was a fat pig
Old 03-09-16, 06:03 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone for your detailed insights

Originally Posted by BradTank
I have this issue as well.

The only thing you might need to be concerned about are the LS models with the air vent seats. You would probably want to go with a factory pad that has the right ventilation holes to allow airflow if that's important to you. Personally though, I think the vented seats are worthless in these cars so you might not even care either way if you don't use them. Other cars I've used this feature is actually useful.

But outside of that, I would prefer just have a good upholestery shop put their own foam in themselves as age has probably stretched out the leather so even with an OEM pad it's probably going to look baggy and not fit very well. I would also not want to waste the money on factory foam that is only going to break down again. Whatever Lexus uses in these simply doesn't hold up.

Also, I'm amazed you could find a shop willing to swap in a factory pad for $30 in labor. If they could do that job for $30, they could just stick some generic foam in there for another $5 as the material itself is dirt cheap.
Yea, I would worry about the vents and how the shop would go about placing their foam.
I'll be trusting Lexus again. Getting an OEM cushion.

Originally Posted by sgretchko
I replaced the cushion about 2.5 years ago. Generally, I am pleased. The discomfort during long trips is significantly decreased and the air through the vent holes is much improved. Either way, I think you will be fine.
Great! Thanks sgretchko, I've decided to get a new OEM cushion.

Originally Posted by notwealthy
I agree with the above posters in regards to the airflow probably being better in an OE cushion. I also can't imagine a shop replacing the pad for $30 labor using customer supplied parts. It's easy but not *that* easy. If I were you, I would buy the OE pad and learn to do the labor yourself. I've had lots of seat upholstery off different cars (not my LS430, admittedly) and it's really forgiving and easy to put back on. Take your seat out, flip it over, disconnect seat heater elements, and cut the hog rings that secure the upholstery. Swap out your pad and heater element, slip the leather back on, and re-secure it with new hog rings using hog ring pliers. It's a good skill to have in your back pocket. Next time you have a seat heater or upholstery problem, you'll have no trouble diving in and fixing it.
I've seen the way the pad is attached since I took most of the seat apart before. Very good suggestion learning a new skill on doing so. I'll get the new pad and see what I can do with it.

That's really nice to hear! Thanks.

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
can you post a pic of your seat

my seat leather bottom has a little bit of "give/play" and isn't tight as my other lexus. i am wondering if the LS430 is supposed to be like that or ex owner was a fat pig
Hahaha, same here. My driver's seat is flattened out and almost like "loose skin" if you will. I guess since the pad went so out form, that any weight applied over the seat will only stretch the leather more.

I don't care about having a super fluffy seat, which would be a pro if I can get a custom cushion at an upholster shop. So I'll just stick with the OEM one and see how that goes. Hopefully it solves my problem.

I'll update once I've changed mine out.
Old 03-09-16, 06:10 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

This is what mine looks like
Attached Thumbnails Uncomfortable seat dilemma - Custom cushion X New OEM cushion?-image.jpg  
Old 03-10-16, 12:05 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Mine looks worse.
Old 03-11-16, 07:57 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by notwealthy
Huh, I had no idea. That explains why my seat doesn't get warm on my short commute since I don't drive long enough to get the heater working.
This isnt correct. Our seats 100% have direct heating elements and they heat up prior to the engine's heater engaging.
Old 03-11-16, 08:47 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

I use my seat heater daily in Los Angeles

To drop kids at school is 0.8 miles
It gets hot quick in my car (the seats)

Even the cooling seats works fantastic
Old 03-12-16, 09:11 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

they work like a mini hair dryer and force the warm air up a set of plastic tubes to the seat bottom and the back rest.there isnt a grid that lays in the seat bottom or the back rest like most of the vehicles out there.the back seat does have the grid tho.
Old 03-12-16, 06:30 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by KING
Thanks everyone for your detailed insights

Yea, I would worry about the vents and how the shop would go about placing their foam.
I'll be trusting Lexus again. Getting an OEM cushion.

Great! Thanks sgretchko, I've decided to get a new OEM cushion.

I've seen the way the pad is attached since I took most of the seat apart before. Very good suggestion learning a new skill on doing so. I'll get the new pad and see what I can do with it.

That's really nice to hear! Thanks.

Hahaha, same here. My driver's seat is flattened out and almost like "loose skin" if you will. I guess since the pad went so out form, that any weight applied over the seat will only stretch the leather more.

I don't care about having a super fluffy seat, which would be a pro if I can get a custom cushion at an upholster shop. So I'll just stick with the OEM one and see how that goes. Hopefully it solves my problem.

I'll update once I've changed mine out.
Normally I reside on the LS400 side
Check out EAR Confor Foam. Superior to OEM foam. Could be used in conjunction with original foam or over new OEM foam. Apply a 1/4-1/2" over the new foam to take up pauch. Am contemplating new OEM foam for LS400 and using 1/4" soft atop 1/4" medium confor foam with scrim
Check out this link:

http://www.earsc.com/HOME/engineerin...dex.asp?SID=63
Old 03-12-16, 08:52 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I use my seat heater daily in Los Angeles

To drop kids at school is 0.8 miles
It gets hot quick in my car (the seats)

Even the cooling seats works fantastic
Interesting, my seat starts to get warm after about 20 minutes or so, never really gets that warm/hot. And it only really gets warmish on the left side of the seat.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable seat dilemma - Custom cushion X New OEM cushion?