LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What do you think I should ask?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 04:44 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question What do you think I should ask?

I have an '02 UL with only 95,000 miles. It is silver with black leather and rosewood. The car is in incredible condition. The leather looks brand new with only a little shine on the driver seat. The driver's seat has no tears, discoloration....just a little shine. I am trim and in good shape....my 165 pounds hasn't worn any cushioning down. The vehicle has been maintained meticulously. I have all the records (the dealer has done all but the 90k service, which was done by a certified Lexus tech using Lexus OEM parts)

I have completed the 90k service, just replaced bushings, new brake pads all around,new rotors in rear, and put on a brand new set of Micheline Primacys ($1,100). I am in the process of converting the air to coil and springs due to two air struts that started to fail, and I am not willing to pay for air, knowing there is a lot more to go wrong with air suspension.

Everything works...all the toys, etc. I was the car on average once a week, clay bar and strip old wax off once a year, and then wax with Zymol continuously throughout the year. When people ask how old my vehicle is, they are shocked when I tell them.

I have no idea what to ask for the car. I have seen values of 430's in general go up over the past year or so, but I don't know what that means.

Anybody have an idea of what I should ask for the car?
Old 01-08-16, 04:53 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Foegot to mention that I did add Sirius radio, as well as Vaistech ipod hookup with stereo controls.
Old 01-08-16, 08:31 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

From my extensive research before buying my 2005 LS430 I would be willing to pay upwards of $12,000 for your car if it was meticulously maintained, one owner, and I didn't have to put any money into it right away (ie. new tires, brakes, etc.)
Old 01-08-16, 01:28 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Unfortunately the 01-03's just don't command a lot of money these days. It's a nice bonus with the low miles, but at least in my area, 01-03 average asking price is in that $7k -$8k range.

So maybe ask $9k-$10k since it has lower miles and is in good shape? you can always lower a price as long as time is not a concern.

I personally would try and keep it because I don't think the market is giving fair value to these cars.
Old 01-08-16, 05:19 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i would try to keep it too, the resale value of these cars are nothing in regards to how awesome of cars they really are. but if you were really trying to sell i would personally put it up for around 12.
Old 01-08-16, 06:00 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

There's a guy in my area asking $9,995 for his 01 with 275,000. I hope he gets it.
Old 01-08-16, 07:56 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It's an 02. You'll be lucky to see 8k in my opinion. Due to the age mostly. Why you selling it after putting all kinds of money into it? You won't get a return on this investment unless you keep it.
Old 01-09-16, 07:50 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

12,500 have all reciepts
Old 01-09-16, 08:30 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It's an 02. You'll be lucky to see 8k in my opinion. Due to the age mostly. Why you selling it after putting all kinds of money into it? You won't get a return on this investment unless you keep it.
+1

People that buy 14 year old luxury cars tend to be budget minded, they're just not going to go almost double the average price for a clean one.

No harm in trying but, it' sort of like real estate. If you live in a bad neighborhood, no mater how nice your house is and how much money you've dumped into it, there's only so much people are willing to pay for it. At a certain point, people will just want to go to a nicer neighborhood if they are spending that much.

I know if I was spending over $12k, I would want an 04-06 model even if it had more miles.

best of luck, but I would keep it
Old 01-09-16, 08:47 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Asking price is different then selling price. List all the services done with the prices you paid for all the work. Have your dealer do a quick inspection next oil change and list on the reciept no known problems discovered during inspection. 95 k miles is pretty low and who knows whoever buys it will be comfortable they will have zero repairs down the road hopefully. With all the new tires, suspension etc this LS should drive brand new. Nice to know you are setting up yur baby for another 100k pristine miles!!! Good luck
Old 01-09-16, 10:28 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

how patient are you. If you're in no rush, put it out there at say 11k, emphasize the maintenance and condition, and see what you get over 2 months. There are people, perhaps not many, that are looking for this car and not finding many with the extras done as your's has. They will pay extra. how much remains to be seen. Remember you only need one buyer.

if you don't have time, put it out there at 8k and it'll go quick i bet.
Old 01-09-16, 12:22 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Almost a car you want to put on a safe street corner parking lot or something. People will be attracted to it, drive it cheap gas SOLD. Prolly an 02 Camry will get 6500 bucks with 95k on it great condition just gotta get people to drive it.
Old 01-10-16, 05:25 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Have a trade in offer of $9,500

I asked if that is a number that is derived in the deal to include the discount on the car I'm looking at, and he said,"No, we will buy that car from you fir that price whether you buy a car or not."
Old 01-10-16, 06:16 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Have him write an offer for 9500, use it as leverage for a month to see if you can get more even post the offer on the window asking 12, 5000 so you can drop yur price a little everyone wants to talk ya down on a car no matter what the price is.
Old 01-12-16, 07:08 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default That's a good idea

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Have him write an offer for 9500, use it as leverage for a month to see if you can get more even post the offer on the window asking 12, 5000 so you can drop yur price a little everyone wants to talk ya down on a car no matter what the price is.
I talked to them again today....he reiterated that it is a hard offer of 9,500 trade. I should get him to do as you suggest...if he will.

Quick Reply: What do you think I should ask?