LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What do you think I should ask?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 08:53 AM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what kind of car your trade was up against but part of your trade value is including a discount fom the other car. Could be from 2k to 4k. Sorry
Old 01-15-16, 10:11 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lexman52
I don't know what kind of car your trade was up against but part of your trade value is including a discount fom the other car. Could be from 2k to 4k. Sorry
Yea, usually once a car salesman figures out what's important to you, they'll move the numbers around on the ledger to suit what you're looking for.

So if you're really "proud" about your trade in, they'll give you a great price for it to make you feel good, then make up that loss on the car you're purchasing.

If they're willing to give you $9,500 for your car, they have to be making a huge profit on the car you're buying from them. No car lot would pay so much above market value for one. I would think most used car lots would offer you something like $5k-$6k for it.

If they're willing to give you $9,500 cash for your car without a trade in and you're determined to sell, that's a solid deal you should jump on
Old 01-16-16, 04:41 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I negotiate without a trade first

Originally Posted by BradTank
Yea, usually once a car salesman figures out what's important to you, they'll move the numbers around on the ledger to suit what you're looking for.

So if you're really "proud" about your trade in, they'll give you a great price for it to make you feel good, then make up that loss on the car you're purchasing.

If they're willing to give you $9,500 for your car, they have to be making a huge profit on the car you're buying from them. No car lot would pay so much above market value for one. I would think most used car lots would offer you something like $5k-$6k for it.

If they're willing to give you $9,500 cash for your car without a trade in and you're determined to sell, that's a solid deal you should jump on
When I look at a car, I start out with "I'm not trading anything in." I found another one two days ago, they gave me their best price (it was good), and then I said, I'd like to see what my trade value is. They offered me $7,500....which seems to be a popular number. A local high end place offered me a check for $7,500 or $8,500 in trade. This local group sells a warranty that they say is backed by Wells Fargo (it's reasonable $2,800 to $3,200 depending on car) that covers your car bumper to bumper for the the length of your ownership of the car....regardless of mileage. The cars he has have all been a little rough....I am now at the point of questioning spending money when I have a really nice LS430. The most recent $7,500 trade in offer asked me to send pictures. He told the salesman, if he didn't see the pics, he would have definitely thought I was exaggerating the condition of the car.
Old 01-16-16, 07:05 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Instead of trading in a nice LS430 to a POS salesman that will make profit on it why not give some members on this site a chance to purchase it?
Old 01-16-16, 08:38 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
When I look at a car, I start out with "I'm not trading anything in." I found another one two days ago, they gave me their best price (it was good), and then I said, I'd like to see what my trade value is. They offered me $7,500....which seems to be a popular number. A local high end place offered me a check for $7,500 or $8,500 in trade. This local group sells a warranty that they say is backed by Wells Fargo (it's reasonable $2,800 to $3,200 depending on car) that covers your car bumper to bumper for the the length of your ownership of the car....regardless of mileage. The cars he has have all been a little rough....I am now at the point of questioning spending money when I have a really nice LS430. The most recent $7,500 trade in offer asked me to send pictures. He told the salesman, if he didn't see the pics, he would have definitely thought I was exaggerating the condition of the car.
I guess I misunderstood, I thought they offered you $9,500 on your trade in?

I talked to them again today....he reiterated that it is a hard offer of 9,500 trade. I should get him to do as you suggest...if he will.

I'm not sure how things work in your state with sales tax, but if you're dead set on buying something from this dealership, it might make sense to trade in because it gets applied to the purchase price so you pay less in tax. Sometimes that can bridge the difference between the extra money you get from a private party sale vs trade in.

Personally, I like selling my cars private party and buying them private party. And I especially avoid used car lots, most of their product is the junk no one else wants and it's just about selling the financing. But maybe this case is different?

This local group sells a warranty that they say is backed by Wells Fargo (it's reasonable $2,800 to $3,200 depending on car) that covers your car bumper to bumper for the the length of your ownership of the car....regardless of mileage.

I think the aftermarket warranty is a really bad idea, I just have seen first hand how they weasel their way out of things and exploit all sorts of loopholes. Most "lifetime" warranties on anything leave people disappointed.