LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2200 mile trip in the UL

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 05:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts
Default 2200 mile trip in the UL

And boy is my *** sore... lol. Well, actually it was quite comfortable considering. I have to say the car performed very well. My best tank average was 28.2 mpg. Went 520 miles on this tank before refilling. One of the best features of the UL is the air suspension and how it stabilizes the ride even with 4 passengers and a trunk packed full of luggage. Any other suspension the rear end would be sagging and the ride would definitely be compromised. Rode just like only 1 person and the trunk empty. Amazing really.

Anyway, just thought I would share. By far, one of the best and most comfortable cars for long trips out there. Between the air ride, rear seat packages, laser cruise, and nice stereo it's hard to complain about a trip in my 430. Such a great vehicle. Love this car. 142k now and still driving like new.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-28-15 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 07:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like a good trip getting excellent mpg for such a big V8 powered sedan. The LS is at its very best on long road trips, smooth as silk, quiet inside but with amazing passing power. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-28-15, 08:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
And boy is my *** sore... lol. Well, actually it was quite comfortable considering. I have to say the car performed very well. My best tank average was 28.2 mpg. Went 520 miles on this tank before refilling. One of the best features of the UL is the air suspension and how it stabilizes the ride even with 4 passengers and a trunk packed full of luggage. Any other suspension the rear end would be sagging and the ride would definitely be compromised. Rode just like only 1 person and the trunk empty. Amazing really.

Anyway, just thought I would share. By far, one of the best and most comfortable cars for long trips out there. Between the air ride, rear seat packages, laser cruise, and nice stereo it's hard to complain about a trip in my 430. Such a great vehicle. Love this car. 142k now and still driving like new.
Nice, I just drove from Knoxville to Rochester, NY (760 mi) in one sitting, just stopping once for 5 minutes. I could have easily gone much farther.

Totally agree with you; just had tires balanced at the dealer (the tire shop in CA before we moved home and drove cross country didn't do it right, of course) and enjoyed a smooth as silk ride, plus my transmission now shifts much smoother at high speeds since I changed the fluid out. Got into a few races in rural KY, lol. The best was when the Cavalier got up beside me at 100MPH 2 lanes over and tried to walk me and then it was BYE BYE, haha. I slowed down after hitting 115 or so because I'm not a total lunatic and he flew by me like a dog with its tail between its legs after he finally caught up, lol.

But yes, agreed on all fronts. I don't even have all the goodies you do, mine's just the premium package. That said, I can't imagine a better ride, but with the air shocks I believe it's possible lol. My better half rode in the back with our new dog and I did mention it's too bad I don't have the UL with all the bells and whistles in the back seat, though he was extremely comfortable the whole way. Haha.

Amazing cars these are.
Old 12-29-15, 05:25 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I went from NYC to Atlanta for Christmas. Took the slightly longer route through PA. It was a nice trip. Then back to DC to view some sights before heading back to NJ. I miss the smooth roads and curtesy from fellow drivers in the South.
Old 12-29-15, 06:13 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

They are amazing road cruisers. A while back we took a family trip (my wife, two teenage daughters, myself and a trunk so full you couldn't fit a newspaper in it) to the Florida pan handle. On the way back I drove 15 hours all the way home which is just under 1,000 miles. I stopped twice for gas and once for a fast food grab. when I pulled in the driveway, I said to myself that I could have driven longer.

I take two trips a year from the far NW suburban Chicago Illinois area to Birmingham Alabama to visit my daughter at college. My first stop is just outside of Nashville which is at about 500 miles. The last trip I did alone (No boss) to go help her move. It was about a 9 hour 45 minute 710 mile trip.

By the way, If you ever find yourself in Birmingham near the campus (UAB) there are some excellent breweries/bars to visit and sample. Being a serious home brewer, it make the trip much more enjoyable.