LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hello all...considering my second Lexus (03 LS430)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 02:41 AM
bl5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all...considering my second Lexus (03 LS430)

Hi folks........new member here. We've had a Lexus RX350 since 2008 which has been our "family car" while I have had a bit of fun in my boy toys. My last two cars have been a Merc CLK500 and , most recently, a 2010 Jaguar XKR. So , although I don't drive a great deal I like to do it in style

In May 2014 I suffered multiple leg fractures (not car related) that set me back a long way both health wise and financially and well.................I need to sell the XKR (not practical any more anyway) and spend much,much less on my next ride.

I have done my research and the only cars around that can be had for $10-15k that offer the sort of performance and luxury to which I am accustomed are:

1) 2003 LS 430

2) 2008-09 Holden Calais V V8

Being an Aussie I grew up on Australian built cars with their crappy build quality and nice straight line performance , but once I experienced European and then Japanese craftsmanship I pretty much swore off anything else. My Merc, Jag and Lexus have all been trouble free. Having said that the Lexus Rx is the only one that has done significant mileage.

In terms of the dealers I also found that Jaguar, Merc, Audi etc...... all made the dangerous mistake of assuming that the young guy walking in couldn't afford what he was looking at (now I can't LOL) and treated me as such. Lexus were the only ones who were a bit more towards "It's good to have you as a customer" vs "it's good for you to be our customer"

Anyway..........Lexus have always impressed me. Aside from not taking ownership of the one problem I did have with my RX (water getting into the headlight assembly) but that's a minor point.

I have read many threads on here before joining so I have a fair idea about the almost universally positive attitude towards the LS430 - and you also see it on the used car reviews at Edmunds etc.... I thought I would introduce myself anyway and see if anyone has any further thoughts.

I am inspecting the LS430 next week. For starters (if I buy) this will be the first car I have ever bought that I'm not excited about on a visual basis. It truly is the boxy , old man's limo and the missus has already given me a razz but I think , given my reduced financial capacity it is time to place a greater weighting on quality/reliability than the visual aspect. It does bother me...........I'll admit it , but my head will over rule my heart on this one I think. And to be honest I think the pimped up versions of LS430's mostly look

A little of what I know about the car:

-silver with black leather interior + what in Australia was called the "rear seat enhancement package" (recline,massage etc...)
- 100,000 miles/160,000kms on the clock (more on that later)
- has had factory bluetooth added , extra tint + reversing camera added
- has been serviced regularly at a Lexus dealer
- has copped a collision years back (multi) that saw bonnet/boot(trunk) replaced but no major damage otherwise
- Lexus stuffed up the 150,000km service (timing belt) and damaged the motor which saw them replace the motor with a new one (with new timing belt) that only has 100,000kms on it + warranty

I will test drive this week and check out as much of the electrics as I can. if satisfied I will then get an independent mechanical inspection.

Anyone have any thoughts on all that + things I should be looking for?? I am also interested if anyone gets their LS serviced independently or whether with a car of this complexity you would always stick to a dealer service? I am happy getting our RX serviced independently but obviously the LS is in a different league , even though it's 5 years older.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old 12-26-15, 06:11 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never heard of a Holden Calais until now. But having looked at photos it looks similar to the Lexus ES350.

I don't know how old your are but my wife and I love our LS430. It feels refined and much different than a boxy American car, like a Crown victoria.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-15, 02:28 PM
bl5150
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ............looks like my reply to you didn't get through so I will omit the pic this time. Suffice it to say the Calais V that I was considering is much sportier looking than an ES350 or LS430 but I think I can get past the visual thing once I drive it and can immerse myself in the interior.

My age..........41. And at this stage I am lucky to drive 1000-2000 kms a year so "driver involvement" is less of a priority.

Last edited by bl5150; 12-26-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 05:38 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Do a search my friend....this question has been answered 100 times....but since you are an Aussie I will give u some quick things to look for

Door lock actuators..visually see each door lock and un lock
Rear right tail light
mirrors all functions
steering wheel telescope feature and tilt feature
all stereo speakers and sub....turn it up loud and listen for crackle sound
shifting during a slow turn.........if TSB hasnt been done it will lurch
timing belt water pump
spark plugs
make sure rotors brake smooth
if Ultra lux look out for air suspension issues....

as I noted in another thread this is not a inexpensive car to own. You are correct it is known for its reliability.....However at 100k miles many things need to be serviced, repaired or replaced and they aint cheap. Its not a reliability thing....its just some parts are at end of life.....bushings...bearings....fluids....pumps.....brakes...tires.....

Good luck...
Old 12-26-15, 07:14 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't you import a car from Japan?

The Celsiors are shockingly cheap, but their option packages are weird. I see more Celsiors with air suspension than I see with sun roofs. And some Celsiors have cloth interiors. But you can find Celsiors in Japan for $3,500 USD all day long.
Old 12-26-15, 09:23 PM
bl5150
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Do a search my friend....this question has been answered 100 times....but since you are an Aussie I will give u some quick things to look for

Good luck...
Thanks for your reply- I did mention that I have already read dozens of threads on the forums , but wanted to introduce myself anyways and see if anything else came to mind about the vehicle I described.

The rotors ,tyres and brake pads on this car have just been replaced with new ones as part of the "roadworthy certification" we have down here and it has a new timing belt and water pump. Obviously there's risks with the age but I would trust a 12 year old Lexus more than many much newer cars. My 08 RX hasn't had a single major issue and it has done many more miles than the LS I am looking at.

As far as a Celsior goes...........never heard of it until now. Just checked a pic and um..........no thanks !

Last edited by bl5150; 12-26-15 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 05:45 AM
drrishi
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick note that the Toyota Celsior IS the Lexus LS430, the only difference is the badge . They just didn't use the Lexus label in Japan until 2006.
Old 12-27-15, 05:48 AM
bl5150
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drrishi
Just a quick note that the Toyota Celsior IS the Lexus LS430, the only difference is the badge . They just didn't use the Lexus label in Japan until 2006.
OK - missed that.......the only example in the country that I could find for sale was a pimped up 1990 car ,so I didn't make the connection.